Giving up Large Leads

If you agree that the Vols do tend to lose large leads in the 4th quarter, then why?

• Our coaching staff lacks solid defensive schemes/strategies when we have a large lead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Volador

Orange you glad to be a Vol??
I was jumping for joy last night that we beat the Cocks and didn't allow our 14 point lead to totally disappear. The key word there being "totally". (but it did dwindle quickly to just 3 points before we hit some crucial foul shots in the last two minutes)

Is it just me who believes that our Vol Basketball program during CRBs tenure tends to give up a lot of late large 4th quarter leads to other teams? If you too think we do, than the poll is to see if we can together figure out why?

So proud of this team and for winning the SEC regular season championship!!!! Congrats! Now, onto more important business gentlemen and, best of luck!

We "lose large leads" because basketball is often a game of runs and Tennessee is damn good at running hard and getting ahead this year. UT's raced ahead of a lot of teams this year.

Last edited:
Basketball is a game of runs. It always has been and it always will be. Most teams do not give up large leads because they rarely have large leads. Tennessee does not give up many large leads, either. There are scenarios at the end of the game where the losing team gets more aggressive and sometimes they play catch up. It happens to everyone. There is no team that constantly has their foot on the pedal. There are few teams who consistently win like Rick Barnes has done at Tennessee.

I thought we played two halves in MBB, unless you're talking WBB or football.

But otherwise, the bigger lead we have and the more aggressive our opponent, it's easy to become slower in our game plan while they turn it up and try to win, too. It's the ebb and flow of the game.

Translated - our team is great, we just won the SEC regular season championship, and just beat 3 teams in a row in the top 17 of the nation - two of them on the road SOOOOOOO - let's look for something negative to discuss.
Hey - that's 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. Giving up large leads, IMO, is what has been holding back our beloved Vols for many, many years. We get the lead but, we just tend to let it dissipate. So, with the Vols on the verge of true greatness, I am curious why we tend to do this on such a regular basis. Let the readers vote.

Reactions: movinonup
The team behind becomes desperate and drives to
the rim every time they have the ball. The team wanting
to protect that lead ( and not wanting to stop the clock)
does not want to foul.

I was jumping for joy last night that we beat the Cocks and didn't allow our 14 point lead to totally disappear. The key word there being "totally". (but it did dwindle quickly to just 3 points before we hit some crucial foul shots in the last two minutes)

Is it just me who believes that our Vol Basketball program during CRBs tenure tends to give up a lot of late large 4th quarter leads to other teams? If you too think we do, than the poll is to see if we can together figure out why?

So proud of this team and for winning the SEC regular season championship!!!! Congrats! Now, onto more important business gentlemen and, best of luck!
Just won the SEC Regular Season title, and the fair weather fans can’t wait to post backhanded compliments about Barnes.

Well, I sure hope you guys figure it out. Please make sure to send the results to Coach Barnes. I’m sure he is waiting anxiously on the results. Here’s a tip. Enjoy this historical season and the amazing work the coaches and players have done. We just beat a great team in their arena. Can we just leave it at that? Go Vols!

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Hey - that's 15 yards for unnecessary roughness. Giving up large leads, IMO, is what has been holding back our beloved Vols for many, many years. We get the lead but, we just tend to let it dissipate. So, with the Vols on the verge of true greatness, I am curious why we tend to do this on such a regular basis. Let the readers vote.
We don't give up large leads, though... 17 of our wins this season are by 10 or more points. We have destroyed several good teams this year. We do not give up large leads on a regular basis. It is just not true.

While not exactly what OP is talking about, this is a graphic that basically proves that we don’t give up large leads…

If you are near the bottom of the y-axis then you give up very few 10-0 runs per game. A “large lead” is relative but I would constitute a 10 point lead as pretty large. Conversely, teams near the top of the chart consistently give up large runs.

According to Evan Miyakawa's page, Tennessee has only conceded six 10-0 runs this year which is 12th out of 362 teams. We do not give up large leads on a consistent basis. In fact, we do it less than most other teams. I have cast my vote for: "We do not give up large leads".

Last edited:

VN Store

Back