Giving up Large Leads

If you agree that the Vols do tend to lose large leads in the 4th quarter, then why?

• Our coaching staff lacks solid defensive schemes/strategies when we have a large lead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
While not exactly what OP is talking about, this is a graphic that basically proves that we don’t give up large leads…

If you are near the bottom of the y-axis then you give up very few 10-0 runs per game. A “large lead” is relative but I would constitute a 10 point lead as pretty large. Conversely, teams near the top of the chart consistently give up large runs.

According to Evan Miyakawa's page, Tennessee has only conceded six 10-0 runs this year which is 12th out of 362 teams. We do not give up large leads on a consistent basis. In fact, we do it less than most other teams. I have cast my vote for: "We do not give up large leads".

I’m actually shocked that a 20-0 run only equals a 91% winning percentage. I would have guessed 95%+ on that. Then again, you don’t see a lot of 20-0 runs in basketball.

Reactions: Adam2014
I think last night was a combo and usce playing more desperately down the stretch and us playing to protect the lead. We never panicked and made free throws when it mattered. It reminded me of one of those pesky little 10 seeds during the NCAAT trying to take down the big dog but they had more advantage being at home. They were scrappy throwing haymakers, we were protecting and jabbing out.

We don't give up large leads, though... 17 of our wins this season are by 10 or more points. We have destroyed several good teams this year. We do not give up large leads on a regular basis. It is just not true.
My post referred to the tenure of CRB, not just this season. I have been watching UT BasketVols since Ernie & Bernie and I have learned to become scared sh*tless when we get a double digit lead. And hey, maybe every NCAA team in the country goes through the same tedious process??

While not exactly what OP is talking about, this is a graphic that basically proves that we don’t give up large leads…

If you are near the bottom of the y-axis then you give up very few 10-0 runs per game. A “large lead” is relative but I would constitute a 10 point lead as pretty large. Conversely, teams near the top of the chart consistently give up large runs.

According to Evan Miyakawa's page, Tennessee has only conceded six 10-0 runs this year which is 12th out of 362 teams. We do not give up large leads on a consistent basis. In fact, we do it less than most other teams. I have cast my vote for: "We do not give up large leads".

I would love to to see this chart about "leads" in the context of strength of schedule. How many of those "big leads" came against weak teams? Do leads come on the road or at home? I REALLY feel like that would better inform that chart.

Reactions: vavolfan6
These things happen in tough road environments, especially during the 3rd and 4th quarters. ;) Factoring in the really big picture, we may let some leads dwindle, but I'm content to say we're closing the deal almost every time.

Reactions: GAVol
The opportunity is there because we lead more games. When we get behind we seem to catch up pretty quickly. Just how basketball is

That poll is ridiculous
Seriously . . . The lead hovered between 8 and 12 for most of the 2nd half and we were up 10 with 2:00 to go and they threw in a couple of 3 pointers to tighten it up late and we won by 7. Not sure how that triggers hand wringing; especially on the road.

My theory is the OP was busy holding up 4 fingers as we came out of the last media timeout and spent the last 4 minutes wondering why the scoreboard still showed 2nd quarter?

Reactions: WillisWG and GenRRN
Are you guys new to basketball? It's a game of runs, large leads shrink all the time. Then they widen, then they shrink again. It's just the nature of the game.

Did you expect SC to lay down and give up?

Basketball is a game of runs.

Some teams will start making shots late in the game which can result into a much closer score.

Reactions: knoxvol52
My post referred to the tenure of CRB, not just this season. I have been watching UT BasketVols since Ernie & Bernie and I have learned to become scared sh*tless when we get a double digit lead. And hey, maybe every NCAA team in the country goes through the same tedious process??
Good. Then you should know that there is not a 4th quarter in basketball.

Reactions: GAVol
BVS is very real, it isn't like covid or anything. I hate that it has crossed over from forum to forum.

Drink two Nehi orange daily and repeat the following in your most manly voice every hour on the hour until you feel better:

I say it's great to be a Tennessee Vol!

and every time you see someone wearing the Orange, greet them with "GO VOLS!" and I do mean every time!

I would love to to see this chart about "leads" in the context of strength of schedule. How many of those "big leads" came against weak teams? Do leads come on the road or at home? I REALLY feel like that would better inform that chart.
There might be something like that. There is a myriad of information on that site.

Good teams will always make a second half run - especially when playing at home. Maybe we should play weaker opponents and not have to deal with teams with top 20 talent.

I was jumping for joy last night that we beat the Cocks and didn't allow our 14 point lead to totally disappear. The key word there being "totally". (but it did dwindle quickly to just 3 points before we hit some crucial foul shots in the last two minutes)

Is it just me who believes that our Vol Basketball program during CRBs tenure tends to give up a lot of late large 4th quarter leads to other teams? If you too think we do, than the poll is to see if we can together figure out why?

So proud of this team and for winning the SEC regular season championship!!!! Congrats! Now, onto more important business gentlemen and, best of luck!
Thought this was about lady VoLs since you mentioned quarters haha

Basketball is a game runs, big leads come and go in every halfway competitive game. OP, either doesn't know or understand the game and/or has an agenda, imo.

Why are there so many on here that spend vast quantities of time coming up with ways to question the VOLS. They call themselves fans, but complain about a team that just became this year's SEC champions. We need a nearly unlimited supply of cattleprods! LOTM unite!

I was jumping for joy last night that we beat the Cocks and didn't allow our 14 point lead to totally disappear. The key word there being "totally". (but it did dwindle quickly to just 3 points before we hit some crucial foul shots in the last two minutes)

Is it just me who believes that our Vol Basketball program during CRBs tenure tends to give up a lot of late large 4th quarter leads to other teams? If you too think we do, than the poll is to see if we can together figure out why?

So proud of this team and for winning the SEC regular season championship!!!! Congrats! Now, onto more important business gentlemen and, best of luck!
There's enough data available to confirm if this is an issue or not.... Someone with more time can hopefully confirm or deny.

I suspect it's a non-issue.

Good teams tend to have lots of double-digit leads. And from time to time, they will inevitably lose those leads.

I’m actually shocked that a 20-0 run only equals a 91% winning percentage. I would have guessed 95%+ on that. Then again, you don’t see a lot of 20-0 runs in basketball.
I’m betting it’s a sample size issue. That 9% that lose may only be 1 game.

VN Store

Back