Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Gotta love that guy's outfit! Where'd you find that pic, Mad?

I remember the S&W! Not only in Knoxville, but also the one in downtown Asheville in the same time frame as the one here.

And now the Gay Street S&W is a beauty supply place and salon.. Just not the same, even if they kept the scale!

Reactions: Vjcvette and MAD
In that list from Knoxviews.com that I posted, there is a mention of Hill's department store. I remembered them, vaguely. So I looked them up. Ohio-based chain. Hills (store) - Wikipedia

Of course, the question is: where was Hill's located in Knoxville? Since it was an out of state company, there was probably just one location.

200px-Hills_Stores_Logo.svg[1].png

Hey Mad - another question. Your avatar is Alfred E. Neumann from Mad Magazine. (I read it too. Some of that stuff is still stuck in my head!)

DId you hear that Al Jaffee, the cartoonist for Mad Magazine, passed away recently? He was 102. I had forgotten about those fold-in art pages he did, where the cartoon was one thing, and then you folded it in and it became something else!

"The first fold-in, in the April 1964 issue (No. 86), mocked Elizabeth Taylor’s marital record. (Unfolded, she is with Richard Burton; folded, she has traded him in for another guy.)"

https://archive.is/LNWfS

Last edited:
Gotta love that guy's outfit! Where'd you find that pic, Mad?

I remember the S&W! Not only in Knoxville, but also the one in downtown Asheville in the same time frame as the one here.

And now the Gay Street S&W is a beauty supply place and salon.. Just not the same, even if they kept the scale!
Love the shoes he is wearing.
I miss traditional cafeterias. Going through the line and pointing out what I wanted. My favorite was the one in West Town.

Hey Mad - another question. Your avatar is Alfred E. Neumann from Mad Magazine. (I read it too. Some of that stuff is still stuck in my head!)

DId you hear that Al Jaffee, the cartoonist for Mad Magazine, passed away recently? He was 102. I had forgotten about those fold-in art pages he did, where the cartoon was one thing, and then you folded it in and it became something else!

"The first fold-in, in the April 1964 issue (No. 86), mocked Elizabeth Taylor’s marital record. (Unfolded, she is with Richard Burton; folded, she has traded him in for another guy.)"

https://archive.is/LNWfS
That was my favorite part of the Magazine.

In that list from Knoxviews.com that I posted, there is a mention of Hill's department store. I remembered them, vaguely. So I looked them up. Ohio-based chain. Hills (store) - Wikipedia

Of course, the question is: where was Hill's located in Knoxville? Since it was an out of state company, there was probably just one location.

View attachment 546153

Papermill at Kingston Pike. The building was razed and Whole Foods and the adjacent stores replaced it. The same family that owned WIVK radio (and several other stations) owned the real estate.

Another Hills location is just north of I-640 on Broadway. On the left. The building was still there last time I drove by about 10 years ago.

View attachment 546153
Papermill at Kingston Pike. The building was razed and Whole Foods and the adjacent stores replaced it. The same family that owned WIVK radio (and several other stations) owned the real estate.

Another Hills location is just north of I-640 on Broadway. On the left. The building was still there last time I drove by about 10 years ago.
The Hills building is still in Fountain City. It's a Big Lots now and has been for several years.

*I loved Hills when I was a kid. If I got a good report card, mom would let me get a Star Wars figure.

Last edited:

View attachment 546153

it was in Halls/fountain city

Reactions: Ted
@Vjcvette - I am still cracking up over that Cas Walker video!

We've done good this week - Cas Walker and Mad Jack Fieldeng! Two serious Knoxville characters! What other ones should we mention?
I will have to give that some thought, you know that there was the whole Jake Butcher impire and situation, and his abandoned mansion is on youtube

Reactions: Ted
@Vjcvette - I am still cracking up over that Cas Walker video!

We've done good this week - Cas Walker and Mad Jack Fieldeng! Two serious Knoxville characters! What other ones should we mention?

LB Richardson of Richardson’s Exxon at Kingston Pike and Forest Park. But he didn’t do TV commercials so he wasn’t well known across all of Knoxville. He did a lot of business with the rich widows of Sequoyah Hills. He was tight with Gus and Haywood (2 more legendary Knoxville characters). He knew how to make everybody that met him smile.

Reactions: Vjcvette and Ted
Anybody remember the Homberg Dr. Location?

View attachment 546167

Mad, you'd mentioned Bahou's previously in the thread, but I didn't catch it because I didn't recognize the name. The Bearden Kingston Pike location was where Bistro by the Tracks and Shuck were located. The Homberg Place address is currently an out-of-business event venue building.

Bahou had to have been in the 70's or 80's if they had promo matchbooks. Tell us more about your memories of Bahou's.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Love the shoes he is wearing.
I miss traditional cafeterias. Going through the line and pointing out what I wanted. My favorite was the one in West Town.
There was a good one in Oak Ridge. We went there in the 50/60s. Can't remember the name though. My memory sucks.

Reactions: MAD

VN Store

Back