Greatest play calls from John Ward: Video

The best one is not in the video; which was when Mose Phillips scored a late TD against USCe.

It's kinda funny; I know a huge Bama fan who calls the local HS games here (Arab). He always says "give em six," when AHS scores.

I'm glad to see a UF fan that can't stand that guy. He's awful.

Ward was about as close to perfect as you can get.

Although he calls primarily TV games, Ron Franklin is my favorite CFB play-by-play guy.

Ward and Munson are both Hall of Famers. I can't hate on those guys because they worked for rival schools...they were great at their craft.

Mick Hubert is easily the worst radio announcer in the SEC. As much as you guys bang on Kessling, even he's on a different planet than Hubert.

Ward and Munson are both Hall of Famers. I can't hate on those guys because they worked for rival schools...they were great at their craft.

I agree but I would add Eli Gold in there personally. His broadcasting style reminds me alot of Wards where he paints a picture of what is happening on the field. Both are/were supported of their schools but giving the listener a mental picture is first priority.

I agree but I would add Eli Gold in there personally. His broadcasting style reminds me alot of Wards where he paints a picture of what is happening on the field. Both are/were supported of their schools but giving the listener a mental picture is first priority.

Eli Gold is great too.

Good call.

Although he calls primarily TV games, Ron Franklin is my favorite CFB play-by-play guy.

Mick Hubert is easily the worst radio announcer in the SEC. As much as you guys bang on Kessling, even he's on a different planet than Hubert.

I mentioned Franklin in the CBS game time thread. He and Gottfried are the sound of SEC night games to me. I'll stop and watch any old game that that they called. Franklin's "10...5...Touchdown" was always so understated and good. Makes me hate Vern even more.

Mick Hubert....yech.

Reactions: 1 person
I mentioned Franklin in the CBS game time thread. He and Gottfried are the sound of SEC night games to me. I'll stop and watch any old game that that they called. Franklin's "10...5...Touchdown" was always so understated and good. Makes me hate Vern even more.

Mick Hubert....yech.

Mike Tyson would be a better play-by-play announcer than Mick Hubert.

I can hear him now....

"What a nasty hit by Matt Elam....it was malicious, just like the homemade chocolate chip cookies grandma used to bake."

You guys were blessed for decades to have Ward calling UT games. Ditto for UGA and Munson. UF has a cartoonish, talentless hack calling our football and basketball games. He's the worst.

Is he the one who makes that voice-cracked "Oh, my!" after a touchdown? I can't STAND that.

We used to mute the TV and turn the radio up and listen to Ward call the games. Even with the delay it was still better. Gives me chills to go back and listen to him call a game. His voice just fits the radio.

I miss him,you could tell exactly where we were at in a drive just by the tone in his voice.He was awesome

I am 64 been following TN football since I was a pup. I bleed Orange...all us Vols know TN football has been special over the years .. Ward added to TN football man did I love his calling the game. I hope now BJ and company can turn this thing around. I have been depressed ever since we lost the LSU game SEC champ game.. go vols .. go BJ . BRI g back TN football to its greatness.

I remember the radio out on the back porch listening to the Vols games and throwing the football around by myself with leaves on the ground. John Ward still does my soul some good.

I done almost the same but my stereo speakers in the window and cranked it up. I would re play the play after JW's call. Tear

Video brings tears to my eyes every time. I was 14 when Ward called it quits, but I can still remember those Saturdays in the fall as a kid and hearing him on the radio. I miss the hell outta those cool crisp autumn weekends.

ron franklin was the best play by play announcer on tv and he was some what a vols fan i think.

When I think about the history of Tennessee football, I think of John Ward as much as any player or coach. Listening to him on cool crisp day was almost like sitting on the 50 yard line. Great Memories.

Yes Yes and even More!

So great to watch this yet again. Sadly, we just haven't made these kinds of big plays in big games in years.

Man, that's quite an indictment.

Lost a lot of respect for Munson when he did the Hob Nail Boot crap

Too bad we had someone come in and mess up a good thread. All the fans of that school are pretty much low class trash as exhibited by their posts here.

VN Store

Back