Greatest play calls from John Ward: Video

Lost a lot of respect for Munson when he did the Hob Nail Boot crap

Yet if Ward had said it we would be calling it brilliance! Don't be a hypocrite man!

My favorite Ward call...

"5..4..3..2..1..the national champion is clad in big orange!!"

You guys were blessed for decades to have Ward calling UT games. Ditto for UGA and Munson. UF has a cartoonish, talentless hack calling our football and basketball games. He's the worst.

My favorite Ward call was "Willie Gault is running to the state capitol building." :eek:lol:

Talking about ol mick Hubert lol

Although he calls primarily TV games, Ron Franklin is my favorite CFB play-by-play guy.

Ward and Munson are both Hall of Famers. I can't hate on those guys because they worked for rival schools...they were great at their craft.

Mick Hubert is easily the worst radio announcer in the SEC. As much as you guys bang on Kessling, even he's on a different planet than Hubert.
I've never understood why ESPN split up Ron Franklin & Mike Godfry.

I'm not ashamed to admit that listening to that clip not only brings back memories but also a tear to my eye.

Too bad we had someone come in and mess up a good thread. All the fans of that school are pretty much low class trash as exhibited by their posts here.

Too bad you can't look past my alma mater to see how complimentary I've been towards Jon Ward throughout this thread.

You have to overlook some folks, sometimes the low hanging fruit ain't the best quality.

You're right...at first I thought he was a new ESPN message board refugee with only 20 posts.

Turns out he's just a mouthbreather who doesn't post that often.

Back on topic...sort of...who is the PA announcer at Neyland Stadium?

I like how he does that dramatic pause when calling the down and distance.

Third................and TWELVE!!!!

Back on topic...sort of...who is the PA announcer at Neyland Stadium?

I like how he does that dramatic pause when calling the down and distance.

Third................and TWELVE!!!!

Bobby Denton. The best is when the opposing team gets backed up by a sack or a penalty or two and is heading toward the south Endzone and he says "3rd . . . And the river."

I've never understood why ESPN split up Ron Franklin & Mike Godfry.

This. They were great. Now we're stuck with Verne Lundquist on cbs and their commercial breaks every five minutes smh. I can't stand that guy. Franklin and Godfry were 100x's better.

As for John Ward, man do I miss him calling UT games. I know Kesling catches a lot of crap but I almost feel sorry for him for having to follow a legend like Ward. Whoever replaced Ward was almost guaranteed to be somewhat of a disappointment. One of the things that made Ward so great was he did such a great job of describing the game. My favorite thing he did was when he'd count down the yards on a long play.

"He's at the 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...... GIVE HIM SIX!!!" He was awesome.

I'm glad I got to hear Ward for as many years as I did. The younger generation of Vol fans have no idea what they missed out on. I wonder if they'll be saying similar things about Kesling when he steps down in 15-20 years or whenever with his "into the checkerboards" saying. There may be a video of memorable calls from Kesling one day but it'll never top Ward's, imo.

VN Store

Back