Groups representing Google, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon sue Florida

I don’t know the details behind the government’s decision, but there’s a pretty obvious difference between banning individuals for violating terms of service and cutting off access for the entire country.

Twitter has an interest in maintaining access so the human rights angle is hollow from them, but it’s no more inconsistent with their practices than the Declaration of Independence saying you have a right to life and liberty but we have a death penalty and put people in jail.

When it pertained to Trump blocking people:
The First Amendment prohibits an official who uses a social media account for government purposes from excluding people from an “otherwise open online dialogue” because they say things that the official finds objectionable, Judge Parker wrote.

When it pertains to Nigeria blocking people:
Access to the free and #OpenInternet is an essential human right in modern society.

Stretch Armstrong alert! Gotta streeeeeeeeeeeetch to equate two very different situations here.

I would honestly recommend Mastodon for anyone looking for a federated, decentralized platform. The only reason it hasn't flourished is signing up has a couple more steps than get an account, confirm account, be a jerk.

I don’t know the details behind the government’s decision, but there’s a pretty obvious difference between banning individuals for violating terms of service and cutting off access for the entire country.

Twitter has an interest in maintaining access so the human rights angle is hollow from them, but it’s no more inconsistent with their practices than the Declaration of Independence saying you have a right to life and liberty but we have a death penalty and put people in jail.

If Twitter was consistent with their terms of service violations, very little would be said. But they are not. Tons of accounts have said much worse than Trump could ever think of. Yet those accounts remain.

On one hand I support Twitters right to ban whomever they choose. But they also deserve every ounce of criticism they get for being obvious hypocritical left leaning.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
If Twitter was consistent with their terms of service violations, very little would be said. But they are not. Tons of accounts have said much worse than Trump could ever think of. Yet those accounts remain.

On one hand I support Twitters right to ban whomever they choose. But they also deserve every ounce of criticism they get for being obvious hypocritical left leaning.

That’s fine. I respect how you feel and I really don’t have an issue with anyone saying that Twitter sucks and that they want to use something else or even advocating for others to do so.

My issue is with people calling for government to get involved in private business decisions and interfering with the free market as what is essentially a punitive response to the right’s perception that Twitter is left leaning. This includes me taking issue with some of these tortured analogies that don’t make any sense but attempt to create a pretext for government involvement.

That’s fine. I respect how you feel and I really don’t have an issue with anyone saying that Twitter sucks and that they want to use something else or even advocating for others to do so.

My issue is with people calling for government to get involved in private business decisions and interfering with the free market as what is essentially a punitive response to the right’s perception that Twitter is left leaning. This includes me taking issue with some of these tortured analogies that don’t make any sense but attempt to create a pretext for government involvement.
With most of these social media companies, it is hard to distinguish them from any other govt bureaucracy. We are living in an era where we have the blending of government and corporations, especially when it comes to the military industrial complex, Big Pharma, and social media.

With most of these social media companies, it is hard to distinguish them from any other govt bureaucracy. We are living in an era where we have the blending of government and corporations, especially when it comes to the military industrial complex, Big Pharma, and social media.
I don’t agree with this at all and think it’s one of the most preposterous pretexts that gets repeated.

These are private property owned by private investors, they’re not owned by the public at large or the government. They can’t fine you, in fact they can’t publish regulations with governmental authority of any kind and can only affect your life if you use their product. And the worst thing they can do is tell you to stop using their product. Unlike the government, they’re able to be sued when they commit torts. They raise money by selling a service, not by levying taxes, and they mostly don’t even charge you, the user, any money at all. There’s absolutely nothing about them that’s akin to a government or government agency.

The bottom line is that the primary locomotor prompting people to call for defamation liability is retribution. Which is why the supposed conduct for which most people claim they should lose protections for the words and actions of third parties has absolutely no relation to the proposed remedy.

If I had made a tweet threatening violence, it would have been reviewed and removed for violating the ToS.

Why are we arguing that people in artificial positions of supposed importance have an entirely different set of rules?

I'd love to see that ToS: If you're an average Joe, click here for your ToS; important people, click here for yours.

If I had made a tweet threatening violence, it would have been reviewed and removed for violating the ToS.

Why are we arguing that people in artificial positions of supposed importance have an entirely different set of rules?

I'd love to see that ToS: If you're an average Joe, click here for your ToS; important people, click here for yours.
Except there are several examples of tweets that violate the TOS that don’t get removed

Reactions: Orangeslice13

Kathy Griffin twice posted direct threats about Trump. Remember it matters because it's a public figure.

There was the beheading and then stabbing trump with a needle full of air.

It seems like her punishment was: delete the tweets.

Seems a couple orders of magnitude down for a repeat offender than getting out right banned.

We've seen any number of politicians, foreign and domestic, post about violence as well.

Not banned. Some werent even punished.

If there are rules, apply them equally. When they dont, aka Trump, expect to get called on it if they try to hide behind the rules. If it's just a company exercising it's right to control it's own property just say that. The argument seems to be pulling on both here

Reactions: Rickyvol77

Reactions: Orangeslice13

It's not hard for me to distinguish between the government and a private company. What a bizzare conflation...

This isn't a "free speech" issue, as there is no guarantee or right to use the various sm platforms. Really what it boils down to is being upset at the selective enforcement of their TOS. The question for those (in the past) that have championed deregulation and the 'rights of businesses' is why they're willing to support government interference now but not then.

Reactions: RockyTop85

I'm sorry, you have to see the irony of you posting YouTube videos about censorship as an example of how companies like YouTube are censoring said people.

😂

Every day these forums are bombarded with tweets and youtube videos that support viewpoints from the same folks are complaining about those platforms.

One would think If you'd really want to send a message of disapproval to effect change, you'd "vote with your wallet", as they say.

Hackers steal 26 MILLION logins for Amazon, Apple, Facebook and other tech giants as well as payment information from three million PCs with malware in latest major security breach

• Researchers discovered an unidentified malware that created a 1.2TB database of personal records stolen from 3.25 million PCs
  • Cybersecurity provider NordLocker discovered the malware database, which includes 26 million login credentials
  • The information was collected by the malware between 2018 and 2020
  • Researchers discovered an unidentified malware that created a 1.2TB database of personal records stolen from 3.25 million PCs
  • Cybersecurity provider NordLocker discovered the malware database, which includes 26 million login credentials
Hackers steal 26 MILLION Apple, Amazon and Facebook logins after accessing 3.5 million PCs | Daily Mail Online

Hackers steal 26 MILLION logins for Amazon, Apple, Facebook and other tech giants as well as payment information from three million PCs with malware in latest major security breach

Hackers steal 26 MILLION Apple, Amazon and Facebook logins after accessing 3.5 million PCs | Daily Mail Online

Me: "No way do I want a webcam so people can see into my home."
90% of everyone I talk to: "You're just being paranoid"

According to a report released by NordLocker on Wednesday, an unidentified, Trojan-type malware stole the files, including 26 million login credentials, between 2018 and 2020. It saw victims' webcams taken over by the malware, which then took screenshots as people used their computers to reveal personal information.

Reactions: Franklin Pierce
Me: "No way do I want a webcam so people can see into my home."
90% of everyone I talk to: "You're just being paranoid"

Imagine the therapy sessions the guy at the CIA has to go through - the guy whose job it is to covertly activate your cell phone camera and mic for surveillance.

You know that cat has seen some sh*t.

Reactions: LouderVol
Imagine the therapy sessions the guy at the CIA has to go through - the guy whose job it is to covertly activate your cell phone camera and mic for surveillance.

You know that cat has seen some sh*t.

Probably a good day is bunch of Buffalo Bill dances without the murder.

1623436274182.png

VN Store

Back