Gus's is a Tennessee Treasure!

grew up in fl - not proud of that. I never had a steamed sandwich in my life until i moved to knox go to ut. my roommate from ny told me about this baklava they were selling at gus's the first week i was there (fall '92) and that was my first visit. between nixon's, gus's and some sandwich shop near clement hall, i probably consumed at least 500 of those things in the years i was there. i live in greenville, sc now and we have a newer sandwich company called sully's steamers. it's a similar take, but more fancy. it is no gus's

LOL, yea, and if I remember correctly, they were pretty affordable........maybe $2 dollars?
Pepperidge Farm remembers. šŸ˜€
I also remember when I was in college, the $5.25 seafood and crab footling at Subway was the ultimate splurge. Would save up those Subway stamps and when I got enough to get one for free I would stroll up to that counter like I was royalty.
Sigh, now ANY $5 sandwich is considered the ā€žvalue menuā€œ šŸ˜¢

Reactions: Gandalf
Any chance you remember the food truck that used to park outside of Hess Hall? You could get 3 chili dogs with onions and mustard for $1.10 A quick trip down the hill to the convenient store to buy a .69 cent quart of beer and you had a great late night snack to watch Johnny Carson..........
Good LORD...you just made me go BACK with THAT one!!!! YES...of COURSE I DO!!!!!

Ah, the fried mushrooms after coming back from the strip. Back when Tuchdowns was on the strip it was so close iirc. Pretty much the only place open after the last lap till they put that Krystals there. Daytime those philly cheese steaks and fries. Good memories.

Listening to the football games on radio, a prominent sponsor is Gus's Fried Chicken. Is that the same place as the steamed sandwiches?

I'm hoping to return to Knoxville in November for the first Lady Vols game, and figured to arrive early enough to try that chicken.

Am now taking notes for a steamed sammich after the game to eat on the way home.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
Grew up in S Knoxville too! Also a great place was Dudley Hodges for hot dogs & hot tamales. Sadly, can't remember when it closed, but Young & South Hi people probably know it well! And loved all those steamed sandwiches. Proud to be a Vol for Life.

Listening to the football games on radio, a prominent sponsor is Gus's Fried Chicken. Is that the same place as the steamed sandwiches?

I'm hoping to return to Knoxville in November for the first Lady Vols game, and figured to arrive early enough to try that chicken.

Am now taking notes for a steamed sammich after the game to eat on the way home.
I donā€™t think so. Gusā€™s Fried Chicken is a chain of restaurants that has spun off from the original in Memphis (at which I have eaten). Incredibly tasty stuff.

1. Gus' only for deli sammich if in town. Reuben only. All I've ever had there. Son bought me UT tickets for a bday present. In kind I treated him to Gus' when we got there. His first taste. After game I asked if he wanted anything to eat on the way out. He asked if we could go to that Gus' place again.

2. The line after the game was terribly long, and we had a long walk. Took us right by 17th Street Market. Smoked wings finished off in deep fryer, dusted with curry powder. Insane.

He bought me tickets a second time 2 years later. Only two places he asked to eat... Gus' and 17th Street Mkt.

Back in the 80's in Cookeville while in grad school there was a small store accross from campus called The Mouse Trap. Had a small takeout deli so to speak. They steamed the hoagies as well. Could get my steamed Reuben there. Only place that far west of K'town I knew of that did that.
I had a brief stay at TTU in the 80's before going back to UT. I remember the Mouse Trap. Drove right by it on my way to the Ocha. Beef and Broccoli and Sweet and Sour chicken were the best.

I've been to Gus's many times, but my brother went so much that Gus remembered him for years after. On game day we'd go and he would say watch this. Gus would smile, which he didn't do much, and start talking to my brother about the Cubs. I introduced my son to Gus's at a very early age. We go every time we're on campus.

It is hard for me to get to a game in Knoxville. Single game tickets get gobbled up too fast and I canā€™t afford season tickets. Sometimes I think about going up to just hang out outside during the game. I guess with electronic tickets nowadays, hoping someone will be selling a ticket or two is no longer a thing?
My first Neyland game in the 90s was totally unplanned. Me and my brother were having breakfast at a Hardeeā€™s in Chattanooga one Saturday morning; wearing our Vol Gear. Someone came up to our table and asked if we were going to the game that day. We said no. He then said he couldnā€™t make it to the game that day and wanted to know if we wanted four tickets. He just GAVE them to us for free. Lower deck even. It was an out of conference game (Carolina Southern I think); but what a blessing. I think there is a special place in Heaven for that man šŸ˜€

Grew up in S Knoxville too! Also a great place was Dudley Hodges for hot dogs & hot tamales. Sadly, can't remember when it closed, but Young & South Hi people probably know it well! And loved all those steamed sandwiches. Proud to be a Vol for Life.
Doyle folks like me, too...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It is hard for me to get to a game in Knoxville. Single game tickets get gobbled up too fast and I canā€™t afford season tickets. Sometimes I think about going up to just hang out outside during the game. I guess with electronic tickets nowadays, hoping someone will be selling a ticket or two is no longer a thing?
My first Neyland game in the 90s was totally unplanned. Me and my brother were having breakfast at a Hardeeā€™s in Chattanooga one Saturday morning; wearing our Vol Gear. Someone came up to our table and asked if we were going to the game that day. We said no. He then said he couldnā€™t make it to the game that day and wanted to know if we wanted four tickets. He just GAVE them to us for free. Lower deck even. It was an out of conference game (Carolina Southern I think); but what a blessing. I think there is a special place in Heaven for that man šŸ˜€
Without a doubt that is the best ending I've ever heard to a story that begins in a Hardees!

And I've imagined and wondered the exact same about going to a Neyland game, and the ticket situation today.

If I'm close to campus, Gus's it is. Out west, Sam and Andy's. My go to is "hoagie on dark, mustard and mayo." Back in the day, Time Out Deli out in Bearden was a great place to go late night. Only thing, I had a tough choice between my hoagie or a Steak in a Sack, LOL. Sometimes I got both......with an order of fried mushrooms.
The steak in a sack at Vic and Bill's was sublime. With sharp cheddar or pepperjack.

Last edited:
Reactions: UT_Dutchman

MAKE me jealous, you local guys...swing by for a sandwich tomorrow or Friday...and tell me how GREAT it was...

I always remember Gus telling me the best player he ever saw play at Tennessee was Condridge Holloway. I must mention that his comment was prior to Manning's tenure.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I had a brief stay at TTU in the 80's before going back to UT. I remember the Mouse Trap. Drove right by it on my way to the Ocha. Beef and Broccoli and Sweet and Sour chicken were the best.

I've been to Gus's many times, but my brother went so much that Gus remembered him for years after. On game day we'd go and he would say watch this. Gus would smile, which he didn't do much, and start talking to my brother about the Cubs. I introduced my son to Gus's at a very early age. We go every time we're on campus.
Ocha was the bomb. They still operate. Though not full time. They usually go back to Korea during the summers. But it's been a good year or better since they last operated. Tastes exactly the same.

Something I never realized was that the steamed sandwich is basically only a Knoxville/East TN thing.

There's a new sandwich place opening in Johnson City called Sully's Steamers. Hasn't opened yet. They have locations mostly in NC and SC.

Anyone been?

There's a new sandwich place opening in Johnson City called Sully's Steamers. Hasn't opened yet. They have locations mostly in NC and SC.

Anyone been?
read my post above. it's pretty popular here and they still have a downtown main street address in greenville, sc. the rent on main has more than doubled since they opened so they are doing something right.

Reactions: vols 30

MAKE me jealous, you local guys...swing by for a sandwich tomorrow or Friday...and tell me how GREAT it was...

Iā€™m kind of plain, but I love ham and provolone or Swiss and pepperjack, on white, mayonnaise and lettuce and tomato double steam!!!! oh, my Lord Iā€™m bout to drive to Knoxville for a samich!

Anybody remember Hyā€™s Deli in Chattanooga (near Red Bank). It closed in the 90ā€™s but man if they didnā€™t have the best subs ever. I have never found one that used quite the same sauces. Still miss them so much.

If I ever get ahold of a Time Machine, forget killing Hitler, I am going to get a Hyā€™s Deli New York sub (and pay them $$$$ for the recipe) šŸ˜‚

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back