Gus's is a Tennessee Treasure!

Sam N Andy's Deli
Reading the comments here and before ( a while back in a different thread), I only recently realized those sandwiches were an East TN thing. So I asked a patient of mine if he had ever had a steamed sandwich, and he didn’t know what I was talking about but was intrigued. I went on to describe the gloriousness of it to him and then we delved into the best fast food outside of the US, the döner kebab. If you’ve spent time in Germany, you know what this is. There are imitators in the US, one in Knoxville that I know about but haven’t tried, but i live here so I eat East Tn food in East Tn, German food in Germany.

Love the article on steamed sandwiches!

Smokey Mountain Market had those killer hot dogs too, with homemade chili sauce...yum! I think they were like two for a dollar or something.

There is a Smoky Mountain Market location on Chapman Highway and their hot dogs were killer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if it is still operating.

Last edited:
Blasphemy!! It's the other way around! They both have their unique selling points, but Gus's always treated me nicer. Do they still have the "pizza burger" at S&A?
I love a steamed sandwich, but the pizza burger is my favorite. Yes, sam and Andy's still serves it. Wish they still made the meatball sub, that was the best I've ever had, but once they moved out west, they dropped it off the menu.

If I'm close to campus, Gus's it is. Out west, Sam and Andy's. My go to is "hoagie on dark, mustard and mayo." Back in the day, Time Out Deli out in Bearden was a great place to go late night. Only thing, I had a tough choice between my hoagie or a Steak in a Sack, LOL. Sometimes I got both......with an order of fried mushrooms.
King Solomon Chicken Sandwich was my go to at Ali Baba’s TOD. It’s a travesty that place closed down, but the owner had to retire sometime I guess. A true Knoxville gem, lost.

Reactions: A-RodWiLks
Pepperidge Farm remembers. 😀
I also remember when I was in college, the $5.25 seafood and crab footling at Subway was the ultimate splurge. Would save up those Subway stamps and when I got enough to get one for free I would stroll up to that counter like I was royalty.
Sigh, now ANY $5 sandwich is considered the „value menu“ 😢
Reminds me of my experience from 98-02. Gus’s was treat yourself to something special, but Subway with the stamps was a staple. Cheaper than the dining hall (relative, I wasn’t paying for it but I’m sure my parents were)and at that time, much better too.

Was there last year with my son for his freshman year and was blown away with how good the dining hall has become. He whined about it but I’m like son, you just don’t understand.

Reminds me of my experience from 98-02. Gus’s was treat yourself to something special, but Subway with the stamps was a staple. Cheaper than the dining hall (relative, I wasn’t paying for it but I’m sure my parents were)and at that time, much better too.

Was there last year with my son for his freshman year and was blown away with how good the dining hall has become. He whined about it but I’m like son, you just don’t understand.
I eat at Stokely once a week. It really isn't bad for around $12.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants

VN Store

Back