Heaven or Hell

therealUT

Rational Thought Allowed?
I have some more questions for you Smoke Em:

1. Do all Christians go to heaven? Or just those that fit your mold?

2. I drink alcohol in Church, every Sunday. Am I going to hell?

3. If/when Gay Marriage is abolished in this country, what is next Smoke Em...drinking? dancing?

Scenario

Guy A lives in the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains. He is very humble and is always ready to serve his friends and family. A mountain climber comes through the area just before a storm hits. Guy A invites him into his dwelling, feeds him for 3 days (food is scarce, btw,) and treats him as if he were his own family. One day Guy A dies.

Guy B lives in Greeneville, TN. He gets upset one night and goes on a killing spree, kills a mans wife and kids, while the man is tied up, then kills the man. It is a very gruesome act. He is sentenced to death. As he is lying on the table, waiting for the injection, he states that he has found God. He dies the same day as Guy A.

Who gets into heaven?

You my friend are going to.....purgatory. Don't worry, the Volnation will take a collection and get you to the right place.

I don't pretend to know what hell looks like, but I'd be willing to bet they are looping a highlight video of the 2005 Tennessee Vols.

(Lexvol @ Jul 24 said:
You my friend are going to.....purgatory. Don't worry, the Volnation will take a collection and get you to the right place.

One of my favorite quotes is:
When I was a little boy, I used to be very thankful that I was born Catholic. At the time, my Catholicism seemed like an outrageous bit of good fortune, since I considered every other religion to be fake (I considered Lutherans and Methodists akin to USFL franchises.) Over time, my opinions on such things have evolved. But quite suddenly, I once again find myself thankful for Catholicism, or at least thankful for its more dogmatic principles. I'm hoping all those nuns were right: I'm angling for purgatory, and I'm angling hard.
--Chuck Klosterman, Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs

Too bad KJV dropped the Books of Maccabi from their Bible...

(GAVol @ Jul 24 said:
I don't pretend to know what hell looks like, but I'd be willing to bet they are looping a highlight video of the 2005 Tennessee Vols.

The irony is that is the same highlight tape that the Bammers get to watch in heaven.

(GAVol @ Jul 24 said:

Their were highlights from 2005??? You, my friend, are much more of an optimist than I.

(therealUT @ Jul 24 said:
I have some more questions for you Smoke Em:

1. Do all Christians go to heaven? Or just those that fit your mold?

2. I drink alcohol in Church, every Sunday. Am I going to hell?

3. If/when Gay Marriage is abolished in this country, what is next Smoke Em...drinking? dancing?

Scenario

Guy A lives in the foothills of the Himalayan Mountains. He is very humble and is always ready to serve his friends and family. A mountain climber comes through the area just before a storm hits. Guy A invites him into his dwelling, feeds him for 3 days (food is scarce, btw,) and treats him as if he were his own family. One day Guy A dies.

Guy B lives in Greeneville, TN. He gets upset one night and goes on a killing spree, kills a mans wife and kids, while the man is tied up, then kills the man. It is a very gruesome act. He is sentenced to death. As he is lying on the table, waiting for the injection, he states that he has found God. He dies the same day as Guy A.

Who gets into heaven?

1. No, not all "Christians" truly are born again and live a changed life. There are a lot of people who only profess to be Christians, but they do not live it.

2. While I definitely don't support that, it in no way condemns you to hell.

3. Abortion

Scenario: While the man in the mountains is very friendly and provides shelter for the lonely man, there is no way to tell if he is saved or not. I truly believe that God speaks to everyone one way or another. Whether through missionaries or things that we simply can't fathom. As for the murderer, if he truly has accepted Christ, then yes he goes to heaven.

Guess I am going to hell. I am not of the 'born-again' variety. Also, if you live it, like the man in the mountains, then why must you have to confess it? Isn't it obvious that if you have devoted your lives to others, then you are already living in the City of God, rather than the City of Man?

(smoke_em06 @ Jul 24 said:
2. While I definitely don't support that, it in no way condemns you to hell. This question concerned alcohol in Church

So, basically, you take everything the Bible literally, except when it comes to the last supper? Jesus drinks wine. His disciples drink wine in his presence. Yet, you 'definitely don't support' drinking wine in Church...If you are going to take the Bible literally, then you are not allowed to pick and choose.

Guess I am going to hell. I am not of the 'born-again' variety. Also, if you live it, like the man in the mountains, then why must you have to confess it? Isn't it obvious that if you have devoted your lives to others, then you are already living in the City of God, rather than the City of Man?
If a person devotes their life to helping others then kudos to them. However, no one person can get to heaven on their own. I don't care how many people they have helped. The Bible is very clear to state that without the blood shed by Jesus Christ, that there would be know forgiveness of sin. The Bible also states that no one comes to to the Father except through Jesus. Its not my words, they are his words. No one man can reach Heaven on his own.

The Bible also very clearly states the idea of Purgatory, for all (that is those who believe in Christ and those who do not.) Yet, you have most likely never read those books.

The Bible also very clearly states the idea of Purgatory, for all (that is those who believe in Christ and those who do not.) Yet, you have most likely never read those books.
And what books would those be?

Are we sure this thread didn't originate during the Protestant Reformation?

And what books would those be?

First and Second Maccabis (aka Maccabees.) You should really do some research into the history of Christianity if you are going to stand so firmly on the KJV Bible...

First and Second Maccabis (aka Maccabees.) You should really do some research into the history of Christianity if you are going to stand so firmly on the KJV Bible...
I would have studied that book if it was in my bible.

I know it is not in your Bible, that was my point. Your Bible is a handful of Books short of the Septuagint.

I know it is not in your Bible, that was my point. Your Bible is a handful of Books short of the Septuagint.
The books in my Bible are the infallible inspired words of God. All of the other "lost" books are just historical. Not inspired by God.

The books in my Bible are the infoulable inspired words of God. All of the other "lost" books are just historical. Not inspired by God.

These are not 'lost' books. These are books that until the time of Christ, were always part of Jewish scripture. After Christ remain in the Bible today. So, they have been around for 6,000 years... Just because the English Monarchy decided to remove them for their protestant subjects in no way lessens the inspiration.

These are not 'lost' books. These are books that until the time of Christ, were always part of Jewish scripture. After Christ remain in the Bible today. So, they have been around for 6,000 years... Just because the English Monarchy decided to remove them for their protestant subjects in no way lessens the inspiration.
Sorry, I simply just don'y agree with you on that.

You don't agree with the fact that the English crown, in the 15th Century, revised the Bible to "make it less offensive to their subjects"? Incredible inspiration right there.

You don't agree with the fact that the English crown, in the 15th Century, revised the Bible to "make it less offensive to their subjects"? Incredible inspiration right there.
I don't care what you say. I stand by God's word. There are several historical books, but that is all they are. No inspiration. Just as simple as that. Are you Catholic?

I am indeed Catholic. I have read the NAB Bible and the KJV. I have compared them also to various sections of Hebrew scriptures and the Septuagint. I would state with clear mind and conscience that the KJV version is not inspired.

I have come to this conclusion through historical study. You have been spoon fed 1 version of scripture, most likely from 1 or 2 different ministers, your whole life.

Also, my mom was Southern Baptist, my wife is Southern Baptist, as is my God-Father. I have attended services of Latter Day Saints, Methodist (I was married in a Methodist Church,) Lutheran, Presbyterian, Jewish, and Islam (I have read and keep a copy of the Q'uran on my bookshelf.) I have also prayed inside a Buddhist Temple at a Buddhist monastery in Central New York.

Good people are good people. Bad people are bad people. You find God through scripture, others find God through nature. God understands this and after everyone serves their time in Purgatory, those who accept God and wish, with pure heart, to live according to him in eternity make it into Heaven. Those who blatantly deny God, are condemned to Hell. Those who continue to struggle with it, continue to remain in Purgatory.

You should pick up The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis, read it, read it again, and then comprehend it.

I am indeed Catholic. I have read the NAB Bible and the KJV. I have compared them also to various sections of Hebrew scriptures and the Septuagint. I would state with clear mind and conscience that the KJV version is not inspired.

I have come to this conclusion through historical study. You have been spoon fed 1 version of scripture, most likely from 1 or 2 different ministers, your whole life.

Also, my mom was Southern Baptist, my wife is Southern Baptist, as is my God-Father. I have attended services of Latter Day Saints, Methodist (I was married in a Methodist Church,) Lutheran, Presbyterian, Jewish, and Islam (I have read and keep a copy of the Q'uran on my bookshelf.) I have also prayed inside a Buddhist Temple at a Buddhist monastery in Central New York.

Good people are good people. Bad people are bad people. You find God through scripture, others find God through nature. God understands this and after everyone serves their time in Purgatory, those who accept God and wish, with pure heart, to live according to him in eternity make it into Heaven. Those who blatantly deny God, are condemned to Hell. Those who continue to struggle with it, continue to remain in Purgatory.

You should pick up The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis, read it, read it again, and then comprehend it.

Ok, thats interesting. Don't you guys have some strange beliefs about the Virgin Mary?

Ok, thats interesting. Don't you guys have some strange beliefs about the Virgin Mary?

No. Thank you for displaying your ignorance on the subject matter, though.

We believe that she was a Virgin and that she was the Mother of Jesus. Aside from that, we believe that it is safe to say she is in Heaven (basically, if she did not make it, then no one has.) We also believe that we can pray through Saints, not to Saints. Basically, you might ask your congregation to pray for your dying mother, we also include those people who we feel it is safe to say have made it to Heaven.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

No. Thank you for displaying your ignorance on the subject matter, though.

We believe that she was a Virgin and that she was the Mother of Jesus. Aside from that, we believe that it is safe to say she is in Heaven (basically, if she did not make it, then no one has.) We also believe that we can pray through Saints, not to Saints. Basically, you might ask your congregation to pray for your dying mother, we also include those people who we feel it is safe to say have made it to Heaven.
Call me what you please. Some people just don't like to hear anything about God that doesn't make them feel all warm and cozy inside. You might say that, "God is a God of mercy and he wouldn't send a good person to hell." He is certainly a God of mercy, but there will come a day when we have to face the music. I definitely fear God's wrath. I don't know about you. Sorry to say it, but a lot of people just simply won't accept the fact that when you die, you either spend eternity in heaven or hell. There is no purgatory. There are only two things that last forever, people and God's word.

VN Store

Back