Help me feel better about this

unfrozencvmanvol

Nico came, he saw, he conquered.
I have admittedly paid alot less attention to recruiting this year than I normally do. Part of that is life events unique to me and part of it is the increased mobility of players making me feel like there is less of a point in keeping up with things until toe meets leather. That said, I've seen some good looking players commit here and on a Talkin Vawls. So color me surprised when I looked at the composite rankings and found us 8th in the 16 team SEC. I know we've got some folks who swear the rankings are irrelevant but I've followed them since the dawn of the internet era and I can't shake my long standing observation that over any considerable period of time the teams that recruit the best, generally tend to win the most.
Screenshot_20240708_052246_Chrome~2.jpgScreenshot_20240708_052211_Chrome~2.jpg
One good thing I see is our number of commits is on the lower end so we got room to grow if we can close stronger than those above us. So are we still in it/expected to land alot of big fish that will move us up? If so, who? The only one I know about is the Sanders kid. With kickoff around the corner, I'm starting to awake from my recruiting slumber and am behind.

Last edited:
Well, I could try and make you feel better by saying guys like Radarious Jackson, Mariyon Dye, and Charles House (who inexplicably is a 86) should rise in the ratings.

Additionally - Travis Smith, David Sanders, Lagonza Heyward, and Jadon Perlotte will be committing soon and all are likely Vols. That’ll improve our ranking.

But honestly there probably isn’t much difference between the 4-15th ranked classes. It’s more about retention/development at this point.

Well, I could try and make you feel better by saying guys like Radarious Jackson, Mariyon Dye, and Charles House (who inexplicably is a 86) should rise in the ratings.

Additionally - Travis Smith, David Sanders, Lagonza Heyward, and Jadon Perlotte will be committing soon and all are likely Vols. That’ll improve our ranking.

But honestly there probably isn’t much difference between the 4-15th ranked classes. It’s more about retention/development at this point.
I think 8-12 is where we need to be. Its a bit unrealistic to be at 4, given where things are now. And in all fairness, the staff seems perfectly content on sprinkling in portalers, which help with the overall ranking.

I have admittedly paid alot less attention to recruiting this year than I normally do. Part of that is life events unique to me and part of it is the increased mobility of players making me feel like there is less of a point in keeping up with things until toe meets leather. That said, I've seen some good looking players commit here and on a Talkin Vawls. So color me surprised when I looked at the composite rankings and found us 8th in the 16 team SEC. I know we've got some folks who swear the rankings are irrelevant but I've followed them since the dawn of the internet era and I can't shake my long standing observation that over any considerable period of time the teams that recruit the best, generally tend to win the most.
View attachment 657184View attachment 657185
One good thing I see is our number of commits is on the lower end so we got room to grow if we can close stronger than those above us. So are we still in it/expected to land alot of big fish that will move us up? If so, who? The only one I know about is the Sanders kid. With kickoff around the corner, I'm starting to awake from my recruiting slumber and am behind.
If you look at that closely you’ll see we are virtually tied for 5th in the SEC and also 4th isn’t far ahead of that. Yes the top 3 are still the top 3.

We have a clear path to being in the 3rd-4th spot once all is said and done.

We lead or have a silent commitment for

5* #2 overall player David Sanders - OT
4* top 100 player Shaedy Hayward - S
4* top 120 player Jadon Perlotte - LB
4* top 120 player Travis Smith Jr - WR
4* top 250 player Christian Gass - LB/Edge (will go up)
4* top 300 player Onis Konanbanny - CB

All those would get us to around the 6th-8th best class in final total point class rankings historically with only 22 commits.

We are also fighting for two other very high rated OL Juan Gaston and Josh Petty and think we can land one.

We are also about to hopefully land the #1 overall player and QB for 2026 on Aug 2nd which continues to be our calling card.

This will be a better class than last year which was the best class in 15 years.

Last edited:

giphy.webp

I have seen a couple of articles that have Perlotte, a 4* linebacker committed to Georgia, flipping his commitment to Tennessee.

Reactions: hooter vol
5* #2 overall player David Sanders - OT
4* top 100 player Shady Hayward - S
4* top 120 player Jason Perlotte - LB
4* top 120 player Travis Smitj Jr - WR
4* top 250 player Christian Gass - LB/Edge (will go up)
4* top 300 player Onis Knanbanny - CB

Brodie, I gotta ask......how did you manage to misspell 4/6 of those names, LMFAO??

**Shaedy (given name Lagonza)
**Jadon
**Smith
**Konanbanny

Bottom line, if we want to consistently be top 3 in recruiting we need to win an SEC title. We can’t expect to out recruit Bama and Georgia when they’re winning titles and we aren’t.

It has become a common motif too across several sports recruiting rankings (and generally many NCAA rankings) to be dignified by national standards—only to be humbled by conference standards because we are in the SEC. High bar here….

On the bright side, we're a baseball school now. Football just fills time until next baseball season.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I think it's helpful to think in terms of "tiers" and not "rankings" and to use the average star rating for the whole class.

For example:
Tier 1 - AVG of 92 and up
Tier 2 - AVG of 90.1-91.9
Tier 3 - AVG of 88.9-90

This is by no means a hard science, but if you look at your screen shot the bottom 4 are basically identical - .35 separates them. Then A&M kind of sits in the middle. Then the top 3 are clearly leading the pack.

I fully believe that as long as a team can sustain Tier 2 (or better obviously) and actually develop and fill their needs then they are capable of making the playoffs and winning at an elite level. Of course the higher you go the more the deck is stacked in your favor and a team with a 4 year AVG of 92.5 will almost certainly have a physical edge against a team with a 4 year AVG of 91. But with the transfer portal the 4 year AVG is quickly becoming less reliable.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I think it's helpful to think in terms of "tiers" and not "rankings" and to use the average star rating for the whole class.

For example:
Tier 1 - AVG of 92 and up
Tier 2 - AVG of 90.1-91.9
Tier 3 - AVG of 88.9-90

This is by no means a hard science, but if you look at your screen shot the bottom 4 are basically identical - .35 separates them. Then A&M kind of sits in the middle. Then the top 3 are clearly leading the pack.

I fully believe that as long as a team can sustain Tier 2 (or better obviously) and actually develop and fill their needs then they are capable of making the playoffs and winning at an elite level. Of course the higher you go the more the deck is stacked in your favor and a team with a 4 year AVG of 92.5 will almost certainly have a physical edge against a team with a 4 year AVG of 91. But with the transfer portal the 4 year AVG is quickly becoming less reliable.
This is how I think of it too

On the bright side, we're a baseball school now. Football just fills time until next baseball season.

I didn't say we were all doomed. I noted we have a low commit number which is good, and the situation is very remediable if we are still in the hunt and likely to land a number of big fish, which is what I was asking about, since I haven't been following it this year like normal.

Transfer portal. Feel better now?

Reactions: Vawlz and GameTime

VN Store

Back