Help with my History work.

For what it is worth, Dickey also recruited Albert Davis from Alcoa TN. He was an absolute stud athlete on both the football field and basketball court. I tackled him one time and thought I had run into a train. However, there were academic concerns and Dickey refused to submit him to the academic pressures and scrutiny that would follow. He revoked his scholarship offer when there were potential academic issues around his entrance exam. It was not worth the potential harm to the future of black student-athletes nor to Davis. He went on to play in the NFL later (49ers I think).

The first black athlete in the SEC was Vanderbilt BB player Perry Wallace. Davis would have been the second but there was a question about his ACT scores. He needed an 18 to get into UT and supposedly made the score. Bryant challenged it and said Albert got 18 because he took the test twice and scored 9 each time! Dickey pulled the scholarship and Davis ended up at TSU then was drafted as a DB by the Phila Eagles. Ironically when Davis didn't make it in the Vols needed to recruit another AA athlete to room with McLain. Chuck Rohe recommended James Craig a top track half miler from Montgomery, AL. In 1968 I lived at Gibbs hall and Craig became my roomate because I was from Philly and Rohe knew that there be no questions or problems if I roomed in a intergrated room. I still remember a dorm GA who didn't like me because I was a Yankee. He was from Nashville and went to MBA. He finally accepted me after he almost died in a car crash and I went to the visit him in the hospital. Yes the good old 60s, the days of Richmond Flowers and Kiner, Neumoff and Reynolds we could have used them this year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Might want to check out a film called "Glory Road" about the first all African American basketball team. I think its about Texas Western University who went to the NCAA championship in 1966.

Yes Texas Western now Texas El Paso defeated SEC champ Kentucky led by Adolph Rupp. Its five starters were all AA and UK was all white. One of the greatest upsets in NCAA basketball finals.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Hey

At the end of your paper, I think it would be good to tactically conclude the advantage of black or white in the year 2013 in the USA.

Tell us what you think now and after your research.

I would very interested in your thoughts.

Can you give us your thoughts now, before you begin?

I consider the role of African-American athletes at UT during the 1960's a narrow focus, jackass.

Maybe I should have stressed more that this is only part of the essay. I am not writing just about UT players etc, its African American athletes in general. I am just asking for help on here for UT athletes because its something I want to include. I will be including Robinson, Tiger Woods, Ali and maybe Bill Russell for instance just wants some ideas from you guys about college athletes.

Thanks for the pointers.

Yes do please post a link to your paper Stephen .

Ok will do. It will be finished by March next year.... Although I don't do my first draft till January we are still doing the course now, I am just getting ahead early because my topic involves a ton of wider reading.

Marion Motley is another interesting story. He actually broke the color barrier in football a year before Jackie Robinson did in baseball, playing for the Cleveland Browns way back in 1946 in the now-defunct All-American Football Conference. He was a big, bruising fullback who at 6'1", 240 pounds, would be big even by today's standards. During his career, the Browns won all 4 AAFC championships, then, in their first year in the NFL, won the championship in 1950. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1968. After his playing career, Motley tried to coach, but was turned down due to his skin color.

Marion Motley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another person to look up is Eddie Robinson. Robinson coached at Grambling State from 1941-1997. Robinson currently holds the Division I record for most wins as a head coach, accumulating a record of 408-165-15 during his time, winning 17 SWAC titles and 9 black college national championships. Before his last season in 1997, he was inducted into the college football Hall of Fame.

Eddie Robinson (American football coach) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could go all day, but one more person I'd look up is Jake Gaither. Gaither was born in Dayton, Tennessee. He played football at Knoxville College, and went on to be a college football coach for Florida A&M, coaching from 1945-1969. During this time, he accumulated a record of 204-36-4, won 22 SIAC titles, and won 6 black college national championships.

Another interesting note about Gaither was the absolute depth of coaches that would come to his annual clinics at the university. Bear Bryant, Darrell Royal, and Woody Hayes, just to name a few, would show up to his clinics.

Jake Gaither - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a matter of fact, if you wanted to, you could look up all of black college football from a period from about 1946-1975 and have a plentiful amount of information.

Reactions: 2 people
Lester Mcclain was the first UT African American to play football for the Vols on scholarship. I believe I am right and there was a recent celebration in his and other African Americans on atheletic as well as academic accomplishments..

Can't thank you guys enough for all this help. You are great ambassadors of our team, true volunteers. Happy thanksgiving by the way. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know where you are located- UK, UT?

Ralph Boston is another of the great Tennessee State athletes who achieved Olympic success in the 60's. He later worked for UT, and may still be in Knoxville (?). If so, and if you are in Knoxville, it may be worth setting up an appointment with him for a 1st person perspective on your subject. I'm sure he could share a fair amount of information pertinent to your topic.

Good luck!

Pretty sure I saw something a while back about Lou Alcindor and the civil rights movement while he was at ucla. Could be something to look into

Curt Flood is a name that, I believe, has not been referenced previously. He was a fine centerfielder in his own right but is best known for implementation of the free agency era as a result of his anti-trust lawsuit against Major League Baseball, one that he filed after refusing to be part of a trade to the Philadelphia Phillies.

As one columnist observes, "Most black baseball stars—Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Ernie Banks—were all but invisible during the Civil Rights movement, so Flood's activism was years ahead of its time. When it came time for him to take a stand on being traded to Philadelphia, he was ready. "I do not regard myself as a piece of property to be bought or sold," he famously told Commissioner of Baseball Bowie Kuhn in a letter in which he requested the right to be a free agent."

After the Supreme Court decision which opened the door to free agency in baseball, Flood was "bombarded with hate mail from fans who accused him of trying to destroy baseball; his teammate Bob Gibson estimated 'He got four or five death threats a day.'"

In 1992 Flood was given the "NAACP Jackie Robinson Award for contributions to black athletes, and in 1994, in perhaps the most satisfying moment of his life, he gave a speech on solidarity to the players as they prepared to go on strike. The players gave him a standing ovation. It was almost 25 years to the day that he had announced his suit against baseball."

Quite frankly, Flood's impact on civil rights and the economics of baseball dwarfed his onfield accomplishments. Jesse Jackson later eulogized Curt Flood by stating that "Baseball didn't change Curt Flood. Curt Flood changed baseball. He fought the good fight."

See How Curt Flood Changed Baseball and Killed His Career in the Process - Allen Barra - The Atlantic , as well as Curt Flood and Free Agency – The End of the Reserve Clause « The History Rat .

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
For the purposes of establishing historical context with respect to Jackie Robinson's breaking the color barrier in baseball, you really should touch upon the old Negro Leagues (see Negro league baseball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Recognizing the injustice that had previously barred them from Major League Baseball, 35 of the all-time greats from the Negro League era, beginning with Satchel Paige's selection in 1971, were eventually elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame (see Hall of Famers | Baseball Hall of Fame ).

I'm briefly digging this up because I foolishly didn't ever post the final product for you all to see as I said I would...

So as promised, here it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nmtowm1m9c4m136/Draft 3 (Autosaved).doc

Thanks again to everyone for all your help and guidance, I couldn't have done it without some of the recommendations for reading and viewing I got on here! It took a lot of work, especially as my project was based almost entirely off of the course we did at school, meaning the extra research I had to do was extremely lengthy. I did however really enjoy researching, writing it and being bold, trying a question which had never been tackled by a student studying the course on civil rights we did at my school. I love my US sports and I love US history, this is both of my passions knitted into an essay which pretty much decides if I go to university this September or not...

I consider this piece to be my finest piece of school work by miles, so be gentle! And enjoy.

Reactions: 1 person
This probably depends on the professor, but I have yet to have one that allowed the use of Wikipedia as a credible citation source.

Maybe I should have stressed more that this is only part of the essay. I am not writing just about UT players etc, its African American athletes in general. I am just asking for help on here for UT athletes because its something I want to include. I will be including Robinson, Tiger Woods, Ali and maybe Bill Russell for instance just wants some ideas from you guys about college athletes.

Thanks for the pointers.
I believe that Tiger Woods is only about 1/4 Af/Am. His father was of mixed racial background, and his mother mostly Thai.

This probably depends on the professor, but I have yet to have one that allowed the use of Wikipedia as a credible citation source.

This guy is right. Dive into the footnotes in wiki to get your sources.

This guy is right. Dive into the footnotes in wiki to get your sources.

Did I use Wiki??? I can't remember, besides, in my course you could use what sources you like, as long as you evaluated it at the end.

Just read this thread today, proud of stephenk and the contributors to this thread (sans the jackass comment)! Way to go VN!

VN Store

Back