Help with my History work.

I know you were looking for black athletes from the South and Tenn, but racism was and in many cases still in every part of the country and world. Jackie Robinson's brother Mack, yes a Oregon Duck, a silver medalist in the Berlin Olympics and a college athlete is worth knowing about. I believe that while Mack Robinson was a running back for the Ducks they were scheduled to play Florida and Florida refused to play the Ducks if Robinson dressed for the game. Robinson sat out that game.

Remembering Matthew "Mack" Robinson

By Paul Lanning

In today’s world of multi-million dollar contracts, appearance fees, and endorsements, it’s easy to forget what many world-class athletes had to endure, even at the peak of their careers, not so long ago. For an African-American track star in the 1930s, there were no riches or lasting fame.
Matthew "Mack" Robinson
Mack Robinson

According to Matthew “Mack” Robinson, running came “naturally.” From 1936 through 1938, few people in the entire world could run faster or jump farther. One of the greatest track and field athletes of his time, Robinson’s accomplishments have been somewhat obscured by those of Jesse Owens and Mack’s own younger brother, Jackie.

Mack, a track star at Pasadena Junior (now City) College, set national junior college records in the 100 meters, 200 meters, and long jump. He also qualified for the US Olympic team in the 200 meters in 1936, beating out the 1932 Olympic gold medalist for a spot on the squad. With no coaching, and running in the same pair of spikes he had run in all spring and summer, Mack chased Owens to a world record in the 200 meters at the 1936 Summer Games in Berlin, running a 21.1 to Owens’ 20.7 and winning the silver medal. Both runners eclipsed the previous Olympic record in the event.

Mack went on to attend the University of Oregon, where he won collegiate and Amateur Athletic Union titles; however, helping to support his family soon became his top priority. He went to work for the City of Pasadena, often wearing his Olympic sweatshirt as he swept city streets. For decades he worked in a variety of city jobs, and later in life, led the fight against street crime in Pasadena.

Mack Robinson passed away in 2000, leaving behind a wife, eight children, 25 grandchildren, and eight great- grandchildren, as well as a lifetime of service and dedication to the City of Pasadena—dedication the city did not forget. The Pasadena Robinson Memorial, honoring Mack and Jackie, was dedicated in 1997, and Pasadena City College named its stadium for the brothers as well. The US Congress also named a Pasadena post office for Matthew “Mack” Robinson.

Reactions: 2 people
Don't forget Western Texas(UTEP) winning the National Championship versus Kentucky in 1966.

This is a great story. Plus, I remember those days well, I played small college basketball in 1966. I could tell you a few things about the perspective on black athletes at that time.

In 1966 when I played college basketball, not ONE team we played had any black basketball players and we didn't have any on our team. Point is opportunities for blacks as college athletes were very limited and the black athletes that did get on traditionally powerful teams had to be exceptional athletes well beyond the level of their teammates.

1966 is the same year Oregon State signed it's FIRST black athlete.

I guess it's too late to post this moment in history.

images

Reactions: 1 person
A classic moment!

But unfortunately I couldn't mention everything - a ton of stuff I researched wasn't even referred too. The maximum word count was so small...

Read 'The Third Man : The Forgotten Black Power Hero', about the white guy from Australia (Peter Norman)...Great read

I guess it's too late to post this moment in history.

images

The white dude in the picture had his life ruined. That is the Australian silver medalist who knew what was going to happen. In fact, it was his idea for them to wear black gloves. He supported the gesture. Unfortunately Australia wasn't any more enlightened than the U.S. when it came to race relations and despite getting the silver medal (impressive) he was blacklisted by the Australian government from future Olympics, and later fell into depression and substance abuse. He was even snubbed for recognition as a former medalist for the 2000 olympics.

So this sympathetic white athlete, Peter Norman, paid a high price for his support for civil rights. It's a really sad story.

Here's a link to the article. (I do love cracked.com.)

6 Images That Ruined the Lives of People They Made Famous | Cracked.com

Another vote for Lester and Condredge. They represent exactly what it means to be a Volunteer.

East Tennessee has an interesting and important history on these fronts. There were a lot of abolitionists compared to other places in the South, so a lot of the Underground Railroad activity went through there. There are tunnels under Maryville College that I have been in that are purported to be part of the UR. You might want to look into how Universities around East Tennessee were involved in Civil Rights. Also, it is important to note that over 30,000 East Tennesseans fought for the Union.

This is a very rich topic obviously.

I can't believe that me posting the finished product has sparked the discussion again, it's fascinating. Such an unbelievable part of world history.

A classic moment!

But unfortunately I couldn't mention everything - a ton of stuff I researched wasn't even referred too. The maximum word count was so small...

Sorry I didn't think of it before your project was due. It is an interesting story that could have added another angle.

Jack Johnson would be a good one to add and, had you really wanted to impress, Moses Fleetwood Walker.

Ty Cobb made his last appearance in a baseball uniform on Sept. 11, 1928 with the Philadelphia Athletics, which was 19 years before Jackie Robinson first appeared in the major leagues. What does Ty Cobb have to do with segregation in baseball ? Integration didn't happen for almost 20 years after his retirement. Read The Bleacher Report article from August 2, 2008 by Wesley Fricks, entitled "Ty Cobb was not a racist."

Last edited:
I am very late to this party and did not read all posts, so apologize in advance if already noted -

The Courting Of Marcus Dupree - Willie Morris.

Nutshell - In less than a generation college football has changed Philadelphia, MS from the home of the Schwerner, Goodman and Chaney murders to the home of the most recruited RB in the US. Since said RB happens to be black the impact of college ball on race relations in the south is explored by a fine writer.

GBO!

VN Store

Back