Here is what we are competing against.

Fullfillmer

Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd weighed-in on the news,
"Caleb Williams can make more money short-term going to Auburn or Georgia. There is a certain SEC school, [that] I wont name, that is now giving one million dollars promised to five-star recruits," Cowherd said Wednesday on The Herd.

This is the new landscape and that is our competition. Ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is what is going on in the transfer portal. It's crazy.

Well we all know how cheap our school is so we may never get back to being the powerhouse we once were...UT isn't going to cough up any NIL money for these recruits....This crap is going to ruin college football.
I hope UT never coughs up one dime for NIL.
That is against NCAA rules and would be caught faster than Conehead throwing cash.
There remains the disconnect of universities and payments to players that will be fully honored by all schools. No school wants to open the question of an employee/employer relationship.
NIL is not about schools paying players.

Simple solution, imo. Only allow upper classmen (i.e. Jr's and Sr's.) the ability to have the one time transfer rule without sitting out a year. That way these kids have to commit to a program.

Players want to eat their cake and have it too. Cashing in a big NIL deal then jumping ship to another school for another big NIL deal less than 12 months later seems like it shouldn't be allowed.

Well we all know how cheap our school is so we may never get back to being the powerhouse we once were...UT isn't going to cough up any NIL money for these recruits....This crap is going to ruin college football.
College football that I have loved and watched since 1967 is gone. The pussification of sports (targeting,blind-side block, pass-interference, etc., ) have made it impossible to play defense. Flopping called by coaches has made good players look like woosies sitting down in the middle of a game 3 or 4 times a game. No loyalty, portal is always one step away of someone isn’t playing or gets mad. I’ve lost lots of interest in the past 2 years.

Funny how no one points out that college football coaches are the highest paid state employees in multiple states, but then freaks out when these kids are getting money they were already getting.

College football stopped being about college a long time ago.

Almost nobody is going to earn $1 million from NIL. That's recruiting BS. A handful of student-athletes could earn some money, one or two star football players could earn some significant cash, maybe, but that's about it. Star basketball players will jump to the pros quickly and so won't be around long enough, in many cases, to make serious coin. I think NIL will quickly prove to be disastrous--just rife with over-promising, corruption, the whole nine yards. The corruption that used to be concealed will now be openly practiced. But most guys won't get much of anything, much less $1M.

Reactions: VolForLife83
Funny how no one points out that college football coaches are the highest paid state employees in multiple states, but then freaks out when these kids are getting money they were already getting.

The transfer portal was what really killed it.

That unnamed school has to be Texas A&M.
Right you are, payroll for bama and georgia has been higher than that for quite a few years.
If the aggie boosters pony up for the top recruiting class for 3 or 4 more years in a row you can safely assume they are setting up to control the west when wee little Nicky gives it up.
I hope they speed the dwarfs exit.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Simple solution, imo. Only allow upper classmen (i.e. Jr's and Sr's.) the ability to have the one time transfer rule without sitting out a year. That way these kids have to commit to a program.

Players want to eat their cake and have it too. Cashing in a big NIL deal then jumping ship to another school for another big NIL deal less than 12 months later seems like it shouldn't be allowed.

That cliche reminds me of this:

Clownherd is a moron, no disrespect to morons. Fox tries hard to pull ESPN talent for big bucks. Rupert Murdoch stole John Madden from an expected to be signed NBC contract for 8 million a year WAY back in the day. Great money spent, but that was almost like the Hershel Walker trade. So good it can never be duplicated. In these times, Fox has "stolen" Clownherd, Skippy Bayles, Shannon "can't speak" Sharp, etc. Today's folks say the most incredulous things for headlines.

There is truth in this. The solution is to lower coaches salaries not what we have today.

Right you are, payroll for bama and georgia has been higher than that for quite a few years.
If the aggie boosters pony up for the top recruiting class for 3 or 4 more years in a row you can safely assume they are setting up to control the west when wee little Nicky gives it up.
I hope they speed the dwarfs exit.

They will still be stuck with Jimbo.

In a situation where both sides are equal on paper, Saban beats him 7 or 8 times out of 10.

I hope UT never coughs up one dime for NIL.
That is against NCAA rules and would be caught faster than Conehead throwing cash.
There remains the disconnect of universities and payments to players that will be fully honored by all schools. No school wants to open the question of an employee/employer relationship.
NIL is not about schools paying players.
No it’s about billionaire boosters paying them, so it might as well be the schools.
Loopholes

Almost nobody is going to earn $1 million from NIL. That's recruiting BS. A handful of student-athletes could earn some money, one or two star football players could earn some significant cash, maybe, but that's about it. Star basketball players will jump to the pros quickly and so won't be around long enough, in many cases, to make serious coin. I think NIL will quickly prove to be disastrous--just rife with over-promising, corruption, the whole nine yards. The corruption that used to be concealed will now be openly practiced. But most guys won't get much of anything, much less $1M.
Read much about A&M's latest class? Scuttlebutt is they doubled what our group offered to Nolen in NIL if he went to the Texas instead.

Salary caps and legislation are going to have to happen, just not sure from who. The NCAA has no power.

Reactions: Lovnrockytop
Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd weighed-in on the news,
"Caleb Williams can make more money short-term going to Auburn or Georgia. There is a certain SEC school, [that] I wont name, that is now giving one million dollars promised to five-star recruits," Cowherd said Wednesday on The Herd.

This is the new landscape and that is our competition. Ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is what is going on in the transfer portal. It's crazy.

There are three media people who I refuse to get bent out of shape for when they speak. Their last names are Adams, Cowherd, and Herbstreit.

This has been going on for years, it’s just out in the open now and the money is more significant.

Reactions: LETTERMAN88

VN Store

Back