Here is what we are competing against.

Simple solution, imo. Only allow upper classmen (i.e. Jr's and Sr's.) the ability to have the one time transfer rule without sitting out a year. That way these kids have to commit to a program.

Players want to eat their cake and have it too. Cashing in a big NIL deal then jumping ship to another school for another big NIL deal less than 12 months later seems like it shouldn't be allowed.
Damn good work though, if you can get it.

There are three media people who I refuse to get bent out of shape for when they speak. Their last names are Adams, Cowherd, and Herbstreit.

You should add every member of the mainstream and alternate media to this list.

I hope UT never coughs up one dime for NIL.
That is against NCAA rules and would be caught faster than Conehead throwing cash.
There remains the disconnect of universities and payments to players that will be fully honored by all schools. No school wants to open the question of an employee/employer relationship.
NIL is not about schools paying players.
No, it's about schools indirectly facilitating paying players a lot of money thru boosters.... legally...

Not a big fan of this but it is what it is... At least for the schools that are serious about winning...

A&M if anybody. Bama doesn't have to at this point considering Saban and his track record putting guys in the league.
Saban was sure loud and proud announcing Bryce Brownā€™s nil money last year. That was an advertisementā€¦go to Bama for coaching, development, championships, AND to get paid. Our message seems to beā€¦go to Tennessee where we hope and think youā€™ll get good coaching and development, nobodyā€™s allowed to want championships any more cause our schedule is just too hard, and you wonā€™t get paid much compared to what other programs will offer.

College football that I have loved and watched since 1967 is gone. The pussification of sports (targeting,blind-side block, pass-interference, etc., ) have made it impossible to play defense. Flopping called by coaches has made good players look like woosies sitting down in the middle of a game 3 or 4 times a game. No loyalty, portal is always one step away of someone isnā€™t playing or gets mad. Iā€™ve lost lots of interest in the past 2 years.
Yessir. Well put. Frankly, I don't want to go down the road taken by aTm, texas, uga and bama if they're really doing that and I suspect they are. Even if we have the money, you can't go down that road. Kids at that position have handlers. Things will always be manipulated to try and get more. You can already see how the portal could be used as a weapon. If we become 3 star U, I'm fine with that. Maybe we don't win a title, but I'd rather win one than have to buy one. This is insanity, and I, for one, don't have a desire to see my alma mater go down that rabbit hole.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Funny how no one points out that college football coaches are the highest paid state employees in multiple states, but then freaks out when these kids are getting money they were already getting.

College football stopped being about college a long time ago.

Semi-Pro players with some college students that would have gone to that school sans football on the benches. The best players, if football had not been invented, would either not be in school or be at some other college. No player with NFL ambition goes to a college for academics/career path. Most top tiers go where the coach or brand will get them to NFL. The College football experience is a fallacy that's fading fast.

There are three media people who I refuse to get bent out of shape for when they speak. Their last names are Adams, Cowherd, and Herbstreit.
The last two are national spokespeople with huge audiences and significant resources- their sources may not have the info completely vetted or accurate to the t - but you can bet that either high level coaches, athletic directors, or other administrators are telling them this is what is going on.
Their jobs depend on them trying to be accurate.

Yessir. Well put. Frankly, I don't want to go down the road taken by aTm, texas, uga and bama if they're really doing that and I suspect they are. Even if we have the money, you can't go down that road. Kids at that position have handlers. Things will always be manipulated to try and get more. You can already see how the portal could be used as a weapon. If we become 3 star U, I'm fine with that. Maybe we don't win a title, but I'd rather win one than have to buy one. This is insanity, and I, for one, don't have a desire to see my alma mater go down that rabbit hole.
I imagine most, if not all, of the the major contributors along with some of their family members, from the 98 team were getting paid. The difference now is that everyone gets to see what is going on. In a way itā€™s good because we all now know the real cost of a loaded roster. It sucks that the program isnā€™t gonna ante up for a seat at the high stakes table. Maybe alot of the players from the 2014 and 2015 classes have started reproducing and about 15 years from now we can rake in another legacy class that will give us a shot at the East.

Semi-Pro players with some college students that would have gone to that school sans football on the benches. The best players, if football had not been invented, would either not be in school or be at some other college. No player with NFL ambition goes to a college for academics/career path. Most top tiers go where the coach or brand will get them to NFL. The College football experience is a fallacy that's fading fast.

Yup. Anyone that went to UT and had classes with football players knows they rarely come to class, donā€™t do their own work, and are pushed through easy majors. It was almost an open secret to know what classes football players were advised to attend because it was basically a guaranteed pass.

Plus when you see them roll up in brand new F150ā€™s and Challengerā€™s, itā€™s not hard to guess how they got those.

Yup. Anyone that went to UT and had classes with football players knows they rarely come to class, donā€™t do their own work, and are pushed through easy majors. It was almost an open secret to know what classes football players were advised to attend because it was basically a guaranteed pass.

Plus when you see them roll up in brand new F150ā€™s and Challengerā€™s, itā€™s not hard to guess how they got those.
Ha ha ha - i lived in Gibbs and never saw a new f150 or challenger- doubt given a choice anyone I knew would pick those two in the first place.
I am forced to say name who you are talking about or it never happened.

They are all after click bait - but they think they are journalists- so there is some truth in what they throw out there.
If nothing else, it sets an expectation where prospects and their families are gonna expect something. The choice is clearā€¦pay to play or become another Vandy sucking on the hind teat of SEC media deal money.

I feel bad for schools like Mississippi State. Spunky little schools who have given us some great games in the past. I really do not see how a school like State will be able to compete anymore. Even compared to Vandy, who does have some wealthy donors. State will not be able to compete in the future.

Ha ha ha - i lived in Gibbs and never saw a new f150 or challenger- doubt given a choice anyone I knew would pick those two in the first place.
I am forced to say name who you are talking about or it never happened.

Why would I name anyone? You can certainly believe what you want, I have no evidence for anything, just saying what I saw with my own eyes and drawing my own conclusions.

Reactions: tango
I feel bad for schools like Mississippi State. Spunky little schools who have given us some great games in the past. I really do not see how a school like State will be able to compete anymore. Even compared to Vandy, who does have some wealthy donors. State will not be able to compete in the future.
Look at poor Arkansas - had a great year and over half their starters are in the portal. They will probably be starting at a and m next year šŸ˜

Why would I name anyone? You can certainly believe what you want, I have no evidence for anything, just saying what I saw with my own eyes and drawing my own conclusions.
Thatā€™s what I thought-
So what exactly did you see - that led you to draw those conclusions?
I graduated with multiple degrees - became professionally certified- and never saw anyone driving a new vehicle in the multiple years that I was there.
I am calling this clickbait unless you can name names and/ or offer up proof. I never saw it or heard about it.

Thatā€™s what I thought-
So what exactly did you see - that led you to draw those conclusions?
I graduated with multiple degrees - became professionally certified- and never saw anyone driving a new vehicle in the multiple years that I was there.
I am calling this clickbait unless you can name names and/ or offer up proof. I never saw it or heard about it.

That is fine. Just offering my own experience, clearly you have your own.

Reactions: tango
Read much about A&M's latest class? Scuttlebutt is they doubled what our group offered to Nolen in NIL if he went to the Texas instead.

Salary caps and legislation are going to have to happen, just not sure from who. The NCAA has no power.

Who is gonna impose a limit on how much players can make in NIL (AKA Advertising)? NCAA? Individual schools? Conferences? Legislatures?

Not. Gonna. Happen.

There's no legal route that I'm aware of to tell an individual student how much money they can make selling their NIL. Right? It's just flat out illegal and, frankly, un-American. Trying to tamp down student/athlete earnings is what brought us to NIL in the first place, and the NCAA got its ass handed to it legally.

I don't like NIL either, but it's here, and those schools that are embracing it and adjusting to it appear to be winning the 5* battles.

Also, within the SEC, our endowment (size matters!) situation ain't great but ain't horrific either. TAM is the big dog now.

These numbers don't reflect the exact "NIL Power" of each school, per se, since the schools don't direct NIL money *cough*, but this does give a good idea of the relative monetary power of each alumni set.

SEC School Endowments through 2019

Billion Dollar Club

Texas A&M - 13.5 B
Vanderbilt - 6.2 B
Florida - 1.8 B
Missouri - 1.7 B
Alabama - 1.5 B
Kentucky - 1.4 B
Georgia - 1.3 B
Tennessee - 1.3 B
Arkansas - 1.2 B

Poor Club