Here is what we are competing against.

Simple solution, imo. Only allow upper classmen (i.e. Jr's and Sr's.) the ability to have the one time transfer rule without sitting out a year. That way these kids have to commit to a program.

Players want to eat their cake and have it too. Cashing in a big NIL deal then jumping ship to another school for another big NIL deal less than 12 months later seems like it shouldn't be allowed.
Also, just as there's early signing period and late signing period for HS players, there should be a dedicated transfer portal announcement/signing period to give teams the chance to manage their rosters appropriately.

Reactions: Doberman
Well we all know how cheap our school is so we may never get back to being the powerhouse we once were...UT isn't going to cough up any NIL money for these recruits....This crap is going to ruin college football.
i totaly agree

Appears that college football has gone from being a sport to being BIG BUSINESS !!!! We fans are the only ones who can do something about it. Like quit buying tickets if it goes too far !!!!! As the old saying goes, money talks and BS walks. I believe the fans can help college football remain a sport, IF THEY REALLY WANT TOO !

Who is gonna impose a limit on how much players can make in NIL (AKA Advertising)? NCAA? Individual schools? Conferences? Legislatures?

Not. Gonna. Happen.

There's no legal route that I'm aware of to tell an individual student how much money they can make selling their NIL. Right? It's just flat out illegal and, frankly, un-American. Trying to tamp down student/athlete earnings is what brought us to NIL in the first place, and the NCAA got its ass handed to it legally.

I don't like NIL either, but it's here, and those schools that are embracing it and adjusting to it appear to be winning the 5* battles.

Also, within the SEC, our endowment (size matters!) situation ain't great but ain't horrific either. TAM is the big dog now.

These numbers don't reflect the exact "NIL Power" of each school, per se, since the schools don't direct NIL money *cough*, but this does give a good idea of the relative monetary power of each alumni set.

SEC School Endowments through 2019

Billion Dollar Club

Texas A&M - 13.5 B
Vanderbilt - 6.2 B
Florida - 1.8 B
Missouri - 1.7 B
Alabama - 1.5 B
Kentucky - 1.4 B
Georgia - 1.3 B
Tennessee - 1.3 B
Arkansas - 1.2 B

Poor Club

Auburn - 793 M
South Carolina - 788 M
Ole Miss - 736 M
Mississippi State - 736 M

Trying to keep the lights on Club

LSU - 521 M
and this is pocket change?

Yup. Anyone that went to UT and had classes with football players knows they rarely come to class, don’t do their own work, and are pushed through easy majors. It was almost an open secret to know what classes football players were advised to attend because it was basically a guaranteed pass.

Plus when you see them roll up in brand new F150’s and Challenger’s, it’s not hard to guess how they got those.

Urban Studies was the preferred choice of majors for athletes when I was at UT from '90-'94.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
SEC School Endowments through 2019

Billion Dollar Club

Texas A&M - 13.5 B
Vanderbilt - 6.2 B
Florida - 1.8 B
Missouri - 1.7 B
Alabama - 1.5 B
Kentucky - 1.4 B
Georgia - 1.3 B
Tennessee - 1.3 B
Arkansas - 1.2 B

Poor Club

Auburn - 793 M
South Carolina - 788 M
Ole Miss - 736 M
Mississippi State - 736 M

Trying to keep the lights on Club

LSU - 521 M

I am surprised LSU is so low. Surely there are some wealthy alumn down there.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yessir. Well put. Frankly, I don't want to go down the road taken by aTm, texas, uga and bama if they're really doing that and I suspect they are. Even if we have the money, you can't go down that road. Kids at that position have handlers. Things will always be manipulated to try and get more. You can already see how the portal could be used as a weapon. If we become 3 star U, I'm fine with that. Maybe we don't win a title, but I'd rather win one than have to buy one. This is insanity, and I, for one, don't have a desire to see my alma mater go down that rabbit hole.
We've already been down that rabbit hole anyway and it hasn't helped. Of all these schools, we are the ones currently being investigated for paying players, we admitted it, all the talent in the world won't help you without coaching.

It’s just year one.
It’s gonna get worse
I wonder if the flame burns out though? College football is essentially kept up by big money boosters. How long can they keep throwing money at 18-20 year old kids? It's not really like the NFL where you are buying into the team and increasing ROI. College football is just their passion and toy really. They won't be seeing a real ROI here will they?

I hope UT never coughs up one dime for NIL.
That is against NCAA rules and would be caught faster than Conehead throwing cash.
There remains the disconnect of universities and payments to players that will be fully honored by all schools. No school wants to open the question of an employee/employer relationship.
NIL is not about schools paying players.

I think it is. Not face on, but through it's support system. Bama has had this (and I suppose others) have had this help as I was told at the time in the late 50's early 60's. (explained to me by a fellow in the same business as I, he from Ala.)

Almost nobody is going to earn $1 million from NIL. That's recruiting BS. A handful of student-athletes could earn some money, one or two star football players could earn some significant cash, maybe, but that's about it. Star basketball players will jump to the pros quickly and so won't be around long enough, in many cases, to make serious coin. I think NIL will quickly prove to be disastrous--just rife with over-promising, corruption, the whole nine yards. The corruption that used to be concealed will now be openly practiced. But most guys won't get much of anything, much less $1M.

In the world of sports a million dollars is not much money these days. If a guy is thought to be really good, so folks will take a chance on a "washout" at the college level, just as is done at the pro level.

Saban was sure loud and proud announcing Bryce Brown’s nil money last year. That was an advertisement…go to Bama for coaching, development, championships, AND to get paid. Our message seems to be…go to Tennessee where we hope and think you’ll get good coaching and development, nobody’s allowed to want championships any more cause our schedule is just too hard, and you won’t get paid much compared to what other programs will offer.
Don't forget that "Sports Management" degree.

Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd weighed-in on the news,
"Caleb Williams can make more money short-term going to Auburn or Georgia. There is a certain SEC school, [that] I wont name, that is now giving one million dollars promised to five-star recruits," Cowherd said Wednesday on The Herd.

This is the new landscape and that is our competition. Ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is what is going on in the transfer portal. It's crazy.

I am guessing that the NCAA feared exactly what is happening IF THIS IS ALL TRUE, and will have to accept that athletes can INDEPENDANTLY accept NIL money, BUT will ultimately get to establish rules to insure a level playing field the same way professional leagues do. Kids wanting to take the money must register their deals and enter a draft like mechanism. They will have to accept intermixing conventional scholarship players with these professional players but since the deals supposedly cannot be tied to schools the NCAA will establish NIL dollar limits just like scholarship limits and the kids can take their money to all the different schools under the limit just like with available shollie spots.

It will be interesting to see if they can prove a correlation to the signing classes and the NIL deals during this first year to show a competitive advantage. I bet it will also not be long till some type of communications between schools and the NIL offering groups create tampering violations and have their fair share of NIL cap reduced. Lots of precedence for such a method of control. Hundreds of schools will offer them spots so harm will be hard to prove.

Ha ha ha - i lived in Gibbs and never saw a new f150 or challenger- doubt given a choice anyone I knew would pick those two in the first place.
I am forced to say name who you are talking about or it never happened.
Jamal Lewis, Peerless Price, there are several who did.

it’s being abused. Kids using it for leverage to get more money. Need to add contracts to this money

I’m not disagreeing with you. Just saying, regular college kids are allowed to transfer whenever they want, regardless of non-athletic scholarships, so I doubt you can single out athletes as not being allowed to transfer. But I agree with you that it is being abused.

College football that I have loved and watched since 1967 is gone. The pussification of sports (targeting,blind-side block, pass-interference, etc., ) have made it impossible to play defense. Flopping called by coaches has made good players look like woosies sitting down in the middle of a game 3 or 4 times a game. No loyalty, portal is always one step away of someone isn’t playing or gets mad. I’ve lost lots of interest in the past 2 years.
I just watch the Vols now. Can only stand it for my fierce loyalty. Not sure I could ever give it up but there is only so much BS one can take.

Anybody can offer money now that owns anything and call it an NIL. Should've been a cap on the amount anyone could earn. Even women gymnast are getting a million dollars.

Bitcoin.

I am surprised LSU is so low. Surely there are some wealthy alumn down there.
The Louisiana brain-drain has led all their successful (non-welfare) alum to reside outside the state. About all they could offer from in-state would be Church's Chicken, Popeye's, or a sponsorship package of free beads & a balcony for Mardi Gras.

If LSU gets smart, they could be the first school to offer an NIL deal attached to an elected official, with the athlete getting a 5% cut of whatever the local pol takes under the table.

Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd weighed-in on the news,
"Caleb Williams can make more money short-term going to Auburn or Georgia. There is a certain SEC school, [that] I wont name, that is now giving one million dollars promised to five-star recruits," Cowherd said Wednesday on The Herd.

This is the new landscape and that is our competition. Ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is what is going on in the transfer portal. It's crazy.

Schools have been playing like sh*t loaded with 5*s for decades. That’s not how you win football. You win by doing what Heupel did. Walk in and build a family and culture that’s positive and encouraging. Build the relationships AND be able to coach them.

You people act like buying players is a new thing. It’s just legal now.

GBO!

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back