Here's some evidence that Rajon Neal has been coached up mentally

Sheik Yerbouti

Class of 2000
His quote from today's Tennessean article:

"The real tests are starting to come," Tennessee running back Rajion Neal said Saturday after rushing for three touchdowns in a 52-20 victory over Western Kentucky. "That’s where we’re really going to be able to take strides and see where we are."

Note his attitude is that tougher competition means an opportunity to show improvement. He's not complaining. To the contrary, he seems to be looking forward to the opportunity.

I'm not saying Rajon is going to go for 125 yards and 3 TDs against Oregon or anything. I'm just saying that it's encouraging to see evidence that his head is in the right place. That's good coaching, IMHO.

Recommend you don't click unless you just love the Tennessean for whatever reason: Tennessee Vols' 2-0 start faces big tests vs. Top 25 slate | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

Reactions: 4 people
Imo, I feel that Lane is the tougher inside runner of the two. Neal still seems to dance too much instead of making one cut and running north. I'd like to see Butch utilize Lane early on inside zone runs and use Neal as a change of pace back as the opposing defenses tire.

Reactions: 4 people
Found this interesting:

3 - Rushing touchdowns for Rajion Neal, who is the first Vol since Montario Hardesty in 2009's win over Kentucky to rush for three TDs in a game. It was the third multi-TD game of Neal's career, after scoring two each against Georgia and Georgia state in 2012. Neal has four touchdowns on the season, just one away from his career high, reached last season.

Reactions: 12 people
i 'm liking the way that he and Lane are giving the majority of the credit to the O-line. It shows some humility on their part. Also, it encourages the O-line to keep working.

Reactions: 5 people
Imo, I feel that Lane is the tougher inside runner of the two. Neal still seems to dance too much instead of making one cut and running north. I'd like to see Butch utilize Lane early on inside zone runs and use Neal as a change of pace back as the opposing defenses tire.

That's a popular opinion. Lane seems to be running well this season also, but I don't think it takes away from what this staff has been able to do with Neal. I assume they are all getting the same message.

Found this interesting:

Definitely. Let's hope he rises to the occasion this weekend and it gives him some confidence for the SEC meat grinder we're about to run into.

Rajon gets it, too! Seriously, Butch and his staff have brought a new life to our team. There are too many examples of things the players mention of how different this staff is from the last one. The players have truly bought in, and it has improved their attitudes, the way they go about practice, the mentality that if you truly give all you've got both mentally and physically good things will happen. He's brought and instilled responsibility and accountability across the board. A team will take the same attitude of the head coach if that coach is a true leader. In Butch, that's what we have.

Reactions: 1 person
Neals speed won't surprise Oregon at all. However him running with a purpose in the 4th quarter will surprise them. Looking forward to it. On a side note. The eyeglasses Raijon wears crack me up they are like what my 78 year old dad wears.

IMO ..

Lane sees a hole and he hits it .. No second guessing from him at all. In open space, Lane is also better and will make the first guy miss most of the time.

Neal does have some size though. If he learns to hit the hole with speed and power we are in good shape.

After this year, the RB position should not be an issue for a few years. The Hurd and Paulk combination is gonna be legen ... wait for it ... dary

Nice thread. Like the fact that both Neal and Lane are coming on with Summerhill and Hill apparently chomping at the bit.

Reactions: 3 people
Neal has shown good vision on his runs this year and even better balance. For all the talk about him dancing and bouncing he has been fantastic with body control. Check out some of his touchdown runs from the WKU game to see what I am talking about.

Neal has shown good vision on his runs this year and even better balance. For all the talk about him dancing and bouncing he has been fantastic with body control. Check out some of his touchdown runs from the WKU game to see what I am talking about.

I seem to recall watching a couple of those runs and thinking Neal's alleged lack of power was overstated.

I wonder what will happen to Worley if this attitude has infected him also. Surely he eventually has to keep one of those read option runs, right? Is he going to go down head first or feet first?

I like that Neal and Lane have gotten more comfortable delivering the hits when they run between the tackles. Neal's decisiveness has shown him to be head and shoulders improved from last year

Reactions: 2 people
I still think this game is more competitive than most people believe. Oregon's defense is not that good. If Worley can manage the game we will score. If we can continue to get turnovers then we have a shot at winning. Those are two big if's but stranger things have happened. Realistically, I think we fall by 10 or less. Maybe I'm living in fantasy land but those are my thoughts.

Reactions: 7 people
If I had to pick a game that we won in the past that this feels like, I'd pick Tennessee beating Miami at the Orange Bowl in 2003. Tennessee Volunteers vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - November 08, 2003 - ESPN

That was a low scoring affair, which is an obvious and probable difference. Also, some smartass beat Miami the week prior, if I recall correctly.

But the vibe leading into the game was very similar. Miami had hammered us the year prior, and nobody was beating them at the Orange Bowl in those days. They seemed unstoppable. Then Tennessee's defense somehow found a way, and we turned that game into a grinder. Miami dominated the stats, except for the scoreboard. We recovered 4 Miami turnovers, and we didn't turn the ball over once. They were penalized for more than twice the yardage that we were. Discipline and determination won the day in a really gutsy effort.

I don't see a Casey Clausen on this Tennessee team, but maybe CBJ can get a steady, determined, disciplined effort from our guys. Butch seems to be in their heads (based on Neal's quote above), and so far the turnovers and penalties have been few and far between, so I guess he's been working hard at this.

I like Raijon, but it's pretty apparent Lane is the better back when healthy. Neal has looked decent in the first two games, but Lane is a more decisive runner, way harder to bring down, and has a ton of wiggle in the open field. Raijon is a homerun threat if he ever gets to the outside, but we all know he tries for that too often. As big as he is, he doesn't break many tackles. I hope they both stay healthy though, because it's a very nice 1-2 combo, and Raijon is pretty consistent, just not very dynamic.

I don't understand why it is that our run game looking solid is so surprising, and acting like CBJ has done some kind of miracle there. It's been built over the last few yrs to get to this pt. Especially at the OL. Iirc Neal was the leading rusher (or one of them) in the SEC until he got hurt last year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If I had to pick a game that we won in the past that this feels like, I'd pick Tennessee beating Miami at the Orange Bowl in 2003. Tennessee Volunteers vs. Miami (FL) Hurricanes - Box Score - November 08, 2003 - ESPN

That was a low scoring affair, which is an obvious and probable difference. Also, some smartass beat Miami the week prior, if I recall correctly.

But the vibe leading into the game was very similar. Miami had hammered us the year prior, and nobody was beating them at the Orange Bowl in those days. They seemed unstoppable. Then Tennessee's defense somehow found a way, and we turned that game into a grinder. Miami dominated the stats, except for the scoreboard. We recovered 4 Miami turnovers, and we didn't turn the ball over once. They were penalized for more than twice the yardage that we were. Discipline and determination won the day in a really gutsy effort.

I don't see a Casey Clausen on this Tennessee team, but maybe CBJ can get a steady, determined, disciplined effort from our guys. Butch seems to be in their heads (based on Neal's quote above), and so far the turnovers and penalties have been few and far between, so I guess he's been working hard at this.

We were a top 10 team and were ranked higher than Miami. How exactly is that like an unranked team, coming off 3 straight losing seasons, traveling across country to play the #2 team in the country? Not to mention the fact that if Oregon only scores 6 points they should go ahead and give Butch the coach of the year trophy right then and there.

I like Raijon, but it's pretty apparent Lane is the better back when healthy. Neal has looked decent in the first two games, but Lane is a more decisive runner, way harder to bring down, and has a ton of wiggle in the open field. Raijon is a homerun threat if he ever gets to the outside, but we all know he tries for that too often. As big as he is, he doesn't break many tackles. I hope they both stay healthy though, because it's a very nice 1-2 combo, and Raijon is pretty consistent, just not very dynamic.

That's kind of aside from the point, right?

I don't understand why it is that our run game looking solid is so surprising, and acting like CBJ has done some kind of miracle there. It's been built over the last few yrs to get to this pt. Especially at the OL. Iirc Neal was the leading rusher (or one of them) in the SEC until he got hurt last year.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Who is saying that CBJ is working miracles?

We were a top 10 team and were ranked higher than Miami. How exactly is that like an unranked team, coming off 3 straight losing seasons, traveling across country to play the #2 team in the country? Not to mention the fact that if Oregon only scores 6 points they should go ahead and give Butch the coach of the year trophy right then and there.

My recollection of the situation was that it seemed like a daunting time, place and team to play, and, if you will recall, Miami was shocked when we beat them to the point where Kellen Winslow Jr. had an epic and hilarious post-game meltdown.

I didn't say that game was a perfect analog for this one. In fact, I think you might be hard pressed to find a perfect analog for this season since Tennessee has been historically bad the past several years. I was just offering an opinion on the similarities I see in the atmosphere leading up to the game, and some optimism that discipline, determination and a commitment to the run can sometimes work out in these situations.

Reactions: 2 people
IMO, Lane is a much better runner right now, and it's not even close.

Not in yards per carry OR in the coaches minds. You should probably give coach Jones a ring on Vol Calls this week and let him know what you think though.

Last edited:
Not in yards per carry OR in the coaches minds. You should probably give coach Jones a ring on Vol Calls this week and let him know what you think though.

Lane averaged 6 per carry Neal 5 against WK.
Lane attacks defenders, Neal tries to juke his way around them.
Lane's style will fly better in SEC play.

I'm not sure why this has to be an either/or situtation here. Both RBs are running well. I feel comfortable with whoever the staff chooses in almost any situation.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back