Here's some evidence that Rajon Neal has been coached up mentally

I agree that CBJ has brought a refreshing new attitude and excitement to the program. The players are more excited than I can recall since the Al Wilson days. CBJ definately gets it!

As for the running backs, the highlight to date was Lane running over WKU's 5* transfer safety. That was a thing of beauty and would earn him the start against Oregon if I were coaching although maybe I don't get it and Neal should retain the starting position. Definately playing out to be a solid 1-2 puch at the RB position.

Who is saying that CBJ is working miracles?

I said "acting like". Which is how people come off as around here. Geez Louise u r comparing these Vols to the '03 Vols. Seriously this isn't anything like the feeling at that time. I'll be happy to not get embarrassed on National TV, no injuries, solid play, and not giving the game away stupidly like the Giants did last night vs the Cowboys.

In '03 I was confident we could beat MIA. They were ranked lower than we were that year. Still a top ten match-up though. It wasn't like the year before when they came in to knoxville (which still baffles me that someone would sign-off on making Mia our HC game...smh) and they were #1 in the country and we weren't ranked and barely over .500.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I seem to recall watching a couple of those runs and thinking Neal's alleged lack of power was overstated.

I wonder what will happen to Worley if this attitude has infected him also. Surely he eventually has to keep one of those read option runs, right? Is he going to go down head first or feet first?

He will need green in front of him to be a success. And you're right...at some point the read option has to be an option...

I said "acting like". Which is how people come off as around here. Geez Louise u r comparing these Vols to the '03 Vols. Seriously this isn't anything like the feeling at that time. I'll be happy to not get embarrassed on National TV, no injuries, solid play, and not giving the game away stupidly like the Giants did last night vs the Cowboys.

In '03 I was confident we could beat MIA. They were ranked lower than we were that year. Still a top ten match-up though. It wasn't like the year before when they came in to knoxville (which still baffles me that someone would sign-off on making Mia our HC game...smh) and they were #1 in the country and we weren't ranked and barely over .500.

We really weren't a very good team that year. The thing I remember most about that game was that it was ugly as hell! Miami self destructed on that day about as well as we could hope for. 4 turn overs and a ton of penalties and we took advantage. We were definitely the more disciplined team that day but top to botton, Miami was more talented and if we played them 10 times they probably win at least 7 of those.

Reactions: 1 person

You may not be remembering 2003 correctly.

Miami started 2003 ranted #3 in the AP, and they had moved up to #2 by Week 3, where they stayed until the week before our game.

We started the season down in the 12-13 range (somehow), and we were coming off an 8-5 year where we got absolutely hammered by Maryland in the Peach Bowl.

When we played Miami, they were ranted #6 and had a 7-1 record. We were ranked #18 and had a 6-2 record, having lost in back-to-back weeks to Auburn and having been absolutely clobbered by #8 Georgia.

2003 was no cake walk. You'll have to forgive me if I keep my opinion of the atmosphere at the time.

2003 NCAA Division I-A football rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: 2 people
Note his attitude is that tougher competition means an opportunity to show improvement. He's not complaining. To the contrary, he seems to be looking forward to the opportunity.
Tell Ra(i)jon to flip back to the Cartoon Channel. Maybe he will stop regurgitating coachspeak and doing his Butch Jones Show impression.

There is a commitment to a running game that Dooley didn't have. Having JG as coach even for a short time was good for Neal. I miss JG not being on the staff but I really like what RG is doing with the running game.

Last edited:
Imo, I feel that Lane is the tougher inside runner of the two. Neal still seems to dance too much instead of making one cut and running north. I'd like to see Butch utilize Lane early on inside zone runs and use Neal as a change of pace back as the opposing defenses tire.

I feel the same way I seen Neal dancing around in the backfield a couple of times in the WK game. Lane seems to hit it up in there. But it seems to be working good them sharing the load. Maybe that will help us through the season. GO VOLS

You may not be remembering 2003 correctly.

Miami started 2003 ranted #3 in the AP, and they had moved up to #2 by Week 3, where they stayed until the week before our game.

We started the season down in the 12-13 range (somehow), and we were coming off an 8-5 year where we got absolutely hammered by Maryland in the Peach Bowl.

When we played Miami, they were ranted #6 and had a 7-1 record. We were ranked #18 and had a 6-2 record, having lost in back-to-back weeks to Auburn and having been absolutely clobbered by #8 Georgia.

2003 was no cake walk. You'll have to forgive me if I keep my opinion of the atmosphere at the time.

2003 NCAA Division I-A football rankings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's no reason to go throwing out actual proof, you need to CHILL OUT!

I mean, Wikipedia is fake, everything on there is created by users, which means it's all fake. FAKE FAKE FAKE<

Just like your supposed stats and rankings!!!

:)

IMO ..

Lane sees a hole and he hits it .. No second guessing from him at all. In open space, Lane is also better and will make the first guy miss most of the time.

Neal does have some size though. If he learns to hit the hole with speed and power we are in good shape.

After this year, the RB position should not be an issue for a few years. The Hurd and Paulk combination is gonna be legen ... wait for it ... dary

Assuming Hurd doesn't have to have a third surgery on his shoulder.

There is a commitment to a running game that Dooley didn't have. Having JG as coach even for a short time was good for Neal. I miss JG not being on the staff but I really like what RG is doing with the running game.

Ughhhhh!!! We just beat two of the worst college football teams in the world and you think our running game is good?? Get back to me after the next two games.

Assuming Hurd doesn't have to have a third surgery on his shoulder.

Ughhhhh!!! We just beat two of the worst college football teams in the world and you think our running game is good?? Get back to me after the next two games.
I'm sorry man, but looking at all of your posts, you either have to be a troll or the most miserable Vol fan on the planet. Seriously, click on your name, then view all posts by rcvol. It's the most depressing thing I've seen.

There's no reason to go throwing out actual proof, you need to CHILL OUT!

I mean, Wikipedia is fake, everything on there is created by users, which means it's all fake. FAKE FAKE FAKE<

Just like your supposed stats and rankings!!!

:)

Yeah, man. Never let facts get in the way of a good argument. :)

IMO ..

Lane sees a hole and he hits it .. No second guessing from him at all. In open space, Lane is also better and will make the first guy miss most of the time.

Neal does have some size though. If he learns to hit the hole with speed and power we are in good shape.

After this year, the RB position should not be an issue for a few years. The Hurd and Paulk combination is gonna be legen ... wait for it ... dary

Both guys are running well but what you said about Lane not hesitating is not consistently true. I have seen him hesitate at least as much as Neal. People keep talking about Lane being more physical but Neal is running pretty violently right now as well. I'd like to see both take a little off the end and maintain their feet for bigger gains. Both guys stumbled after delivering a blow at the end of runs Saturday when they could have had more yardage.

Of course we're nitpicking a little... both are well over 6 ypc.

You are WAY too early to be calling those guys "legendary". I don't want to knock recruits in a public forum... but there is plenty of doubt in my mind about the ability of at least one of those guys to be a great SEC RB.

Lane averaged 6 per carry Neal 5 against WK.
Lane attacks defenders, Neal tries to juke his way around them.
Lane's style will fly better in SEC play.

I remember seeing Neal take a couple of defenders head on and bounce off and keep moving forward. The only time he bounced in this game was when the hole closed. Give credit where credit is due.

I need a link to where WKU is one of the worst teams. Oh yeah that's right there isn't one. You can make a point without lying to prove that point. Don't be that sad pathetic individual that is so determined to prove theyre right they make up shizz. I know its hard but try.

Raijon Neal is the man. I'm diggin his senior swag
images

IMO ..

I Hurd you!

I don't understand why it is that our run game looking solid is so surprising, and acting like CBJ has done some kind of miracle there. It's been built over the last few yrs to get to this pt. Especially at the OL. Iirc Neal was the leading rusher (or one of them) in the SEC until he got hurt last year.

Fools would not have either of these two backs running this well. IMO, he did less with more than any coach I've ever seen...besides kiffen and USC this year....good god what a dumpster fire....

Fools would not have either of these two backs running this well. IMO, he did less with more than any coach I've ever seen...besides kiffen and USC this year....good god what a dumpster fire....

What r u talking about??? Did u miss the pt where Neal was the SECs leading rusher up to his injury last yr??? How is that not getting someone to run well?? Smh

VN Store

Back