Homelessness, begging, and what to do about it

They way to really solve it is for everyone......everyone across this country to never, ever give money to the homeless. Food, water, soap, blankets, coats, ect sure.....that's fine. Never, ever give money. 90 percent of these people have drug problems or mental issues (smaller percentage) and will not, or can not (in the case of the mentally ill) get help. Many have been cast out of family circles, and circles of friends because of the hell that their addictions have put on their lived ones. Seen it personally multiple times. These people get used to the streets and the whole "no rules" things and are resistant to getting help for their problems. Cut off their money and hopefully many would try to find an alternative.

In BB years (Before Biden), you could at least actually survive in most of the country at $15 per hour if you were healthy and single and didn’t have a smoking or drinking (or other substance) habit to support. Now though with this inflation….OUCH

Maybe in a town with a VERY low cost of living.

15/hr hasn't been viable for 15 or so years.

Anyone want to help me make a list of decent jobs other than factors for the non-college educated? I'm interested for personal reasons too (attempting to help a nephew)

1. Military
2. Post office
3. Heavy equipment operator
4. Railroads
5. Oilfield worker
6. Police (too lazy for a factor, unqualified for anything else)
7, Sales

College educated here but my line of work didn't need it, for the most part. My particular company required a college educated person in my role but I've seen the same role/income in other hospitality groups not require a degree. P sure it pays more than most of the jobs on this list (definitely cops... they make exactly what they should).

Anyone want to help me make a list of decent jobs other than factors for the non-college educated? I'm interested for personal reasons too (attempting to help a nephew)

1. Military
2. Post office
4. Railroads
5. Oilfield worker
6. Police (too lazy for a factory, unqualified for anything else)
7, Sales

Need to go to trade school for it, but HVAC, Plumbers, welders. Under water welders make great $$, dangerous though. We’re short about 10,000 truckers in this country at the moment too.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
Need to go to trade school for it, but HVAC, Plumbers, welders. Under water welders make great $$, dangerous though. We’re short about 10,000 truckers in this country at the moment too.

Spoke too him about truck driving school yesterday. He’s going to look into it. I think most companies will pay for it, if not I told him we’d make it work. Does have a recent speeding ticket but nothing major

Reactions: Vol737
And airline pilots

They way to really solve it is for everyone......everyone across this country to never, ever give money to the homeless. Food, water, soap, blankets, coats, ect sure.....that's fine. Never, ever give money. 90 percent of these people have drug problems or mental issues (smaller percentage) and will not, or can not (in the case of the mentally ill) get help. Many have been cast out of family circles, and circles of friends because of the hell that their addictions have put on their lived ones. Seen it personally multiple times. These people get used to the streets and the whole "no rules" things and are resistant to getting help for their problems. Cut off their money and hopefully many would try to find an alternative.
They just turn around and sell the stuff you give them. There is a big industry made out of it, with pushers willing to use violence to get their goods at criminal rates.

College educated here but my line of work didn't need it, for the most part. My particular company required a college educated person in my role but I've seen the same role/income in other hospitality groups not require a degree. P sure it pays more than most of the jobs on this list (definitely cops... they make exactly what they should).

Though the vast majority of engineering jobs require a degree, 90 percent of the time a degree isn't really needed. In my job, the most I have ever used is a velocity equation and some torsion principals. If you are good with electronics, measurements and mechanics, ect you can do a lot of engineering jobs....particularly if you can write PLC or PC code.

I chased a guy in a bus station in little rock Arkansas about 30 years ago with my granola bars. He approached me for money bc he was hungry. I offered him my granola, he ran away and I (kinda) chased after him.
I mean, you do have that look. He probably thought the granola was drugged and you were looking to molest him. The fact you chased after him only reinforced that belief.

Reactions: McDad
Wow. I actually didn't know that.
At least here in Atlanta at the two shelters I volunteered at there was always someone just outside the shelter buying whatever they had. We had to call the cops a couple times when things got violent, usually the homeless person not wanting to sell something they needed.

We had a doctor at one giving out OTC stuff, and that was the worst.

Reactions: norrislakevol
I remember a story on one of the news programs (20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes, not sure which) where they secretly followed a panhandler in NYC. Guy spent all day panhandling. End of the day, he goes and gets into a nice car and drives to a nice house in the suburbs. Wasn't sure whether to believe it or not, but I could see where one could possibly make a living at it in the big cities.

1. Military
2. Post office
4. Railroads
5. Oilfield worker
6. Police (too lazy for a factory, unqualified for anything else)
7, Sales
Would male prostitute fall under sales?

Reactions: Vol8188
what are we debating here?

15 is not a middle income wage.

15 will not ever be a middle income wage even with basic raises based on it.

People can better themselves and don’t have to stay in this position and it’s up to them.

Everyone starts somewhere and 15 is actually a high starting salary.

What is the debate?
It depends what area you live in. $15 an hour is not a high starting salary in places like San Francisco and NYC.

I’ve not witnessed it myself, but I’ve heard the vast majority of panhandlers in Asheville are young people too lazy to get a job.
Many of the ones I've seen in Knoxville seem to be over the age of 40. It's most of the same ones every time over in Turkey Creek and West Knoxville. Begging close to places that have now hiring signs in their windows as well.

I remember a story on one of the news programs (20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes, not sure which) where they secretly followed a panhandler in NYC. Guy spent all day panhandling. End of the day, he goes and gets into a nice car and drives to a nice house in the suburbs. Wasn't sure whether to believe it or not, but I could see where one could possibly make a living at it in the big cities.
Happens all the time. Especially here from cedar bluff to turkey creek

VN Store

Back