Homelessness, begging, and what to do about it

Easy….bring back all the manufacturing. These were good paying jobs that people not college bound could find a career in. Now it’s Walmart at 12 and hour.

Anyone want to help me make a list of decent jobs other than factors for the non-college educated? I'm interested for personal reasons too (attempting to help a nephew)

1. Military
2. Post office
3. Heavy equipment operator
4. Railroads
5. Oilfield worker
6. Police (too lazy for a factory, unqualified for anything else)
7, Sales

Last edited:
A lot of homeless shelters don’t allow drugs/ alcohol or even smoking. Many have a curfew where you have to be in for the night by 5-7pm.
I’m sure many do but some of what I’ve personally witnessed indicates that it’s either not universal or universally enforced

Anyone want to help me make a list of decent jobs other than factors for the non-college educated? I'm interested for personal reasons too (attempting to help a nephew)

1. Military
2. Post office
4. Railroads
5. Oilfield worker
6. Police (too lazy for a factor, unqualified for anything else)
7, Sales

Commercial building Electrician. Be an apprentice and then by mid 20s open your own business. I know a guy who literally cannot read who makes 150k a year doing this.

In BB years (Before Biden), you could at least actually survive in most of the country at $15 per hour if you were healthy and single and didn’t have a smoking or drinking (or other substance) habit to support. Now though with this inflation….OUCH

But who dreams of survival?

I was born in Parkersburg WV. Before nafta those who stayed and didn’t have a degree went to work in the plants like my uncle. We’re able to buy two cars a home and have a life. You can’t do that on 15 per hour.

I was born in Parkersburg WV. Before nafta those who stayed and didn’t have a degree went to work in the plants like my uncle. We’re able to buy two cars a home and have a life. You can’t do that on 15 per hour.
No one wants mere survival. But the point I was trying to make is that $15 per hour is a WHOLE lot less of a thing than it was a year ago

Reactions: NEO
25 to 50 cent raise per year to barely keep up with inflation if it even does.

That’s not what history says. The middle class, lower class, and the average American have all seen wage increases year over year outpacing inflation.

That’s why standard of living has improved every decade.

Reactions: GroverCleveland

Your argument is that your starting salary at an entry level job should be enough to purchase a home?

Perhaps the issue is your premise. You seem to believe the American dream requires bare minimal effort (showing up every day) without any occupational dreams and/or ambitions.

Given you seem to assume they’ll never move above line worker, I think the issue is your premise

Last edited:
Commercial building Electrician. Be an apprentice and then by mid 20s open your own business. I know a guy who literally cannot read who makes 150k a year doing this.

I’ve met a few guys like that over the years.

Reactions: NEO

1. Military
2. Post office
4. Railroads
5. Oilfield worker
6. Police (too lazy for a factor, unqualified for anything else)
7, Sales

CDL Truck Driver
Many companies will hire and train just about anyone over 21 with a clean criminal record that can pass a drug test.

Similar to this one, Diesel Mechanic/Heavy Equipment Mechanic.
All the major truck stops, trucking companies, & machine manufacturers (like CAT) are severely short staffed and hiring inexperienced laborers into their mechanical apprenticeship programs.
Entry level around 15hr with realistic advancement path to +50Kyearly after 1-2 years and +100K after 5 years.

Your argument is that your starting salary at an entry level job should be enough to purchase a home?

Perhaps the issue is your premise. You seem to believe the American dream requires bare minimal effort (showing up every day) without any occupational dreams and/or ambitions.

Given you seem to assume they’ll never move above line worker, I think the issue is your premise

Dear Lord you twisted my comment.

Don’t ask me a freaking question if you are going to twist it like that.

We were talking about a specific industry and within these industrious the ceiling is limited without a degree. A cashier can be a cashier for 20 years and make dang near the same income to poverty rate the whole time.

That’s not what history says. The middle class, lower class, and the average American have all seen wage increases year over year outpacing inflation.

That’s why standard of living has improved every decade.

15 an hour isn’t middle class. If you think it is I am sorry. You were lied to.

Reactions: hog88
Dear Lord you twisted my comment.

Don’t ask me a freaking question if you are going to twist it like that.

We were talking about a specific industry and within these industrious the ceiling is limited without a degree. A cashier can be a cashier for 20 years and make dang near the same income to poverty rate the whole time.

If you intentionally pick the easiest job possible and have not interest in moving up, shouldn’t you make the bare minimum?

I’m not seeing the problem. I worked Walmart stock crew right out of high school before the military and did wel

15 an hour isn’t middle class. If you think it is I am sorry. You were lied to.

No one said that. But the lower class pay increases have also out paced inflation and their standard of living has improved decade over decade

If you intentionally pick the easiest job possible and have not interest in moving up, shouldn’t you make the bare minimum?

I’m not seeing the problem. I worked Walmart stock crew right out of high school before the military and did wel

what are we debating here?

15 is not a middle income wage.

15 will not ever be a middle income wage even with basic raises based on it.

People can better themselves and don’t have to stay in this position and it’s up to them.

Everyone starts somewhere and 15 is actually a high starting salary.

What is the debate?

You left one out. Sex offenders, murderers and other felons who ride the buses and trains all over to other states to avoid prison

Don’t worry about those folks. You can sleep easy knowing that cops are removing poor people with a busted tail light from the streets.

Easy….bring back all the manufacturing. These were good paying jobs that people not college bound could find a career in. Now it’s Walmart at 12 and hour.

15 dollars per hour as a career job is great?

what are we debating here?

15 is not a middle income wage.

15 will not ever be a middle income wage even with basic raises based on it.

People can better themselves and don’t have to stay in this position and it’s up to them.

Everyone starts somewhere and 15 is actually a high starting salary.

What is the debate?

These statements.

No one is claiming $15 an hour is “middle class”. It’s a starting wage. If you make a career as a cashier, no you shouldn’t be “middle class”. You can’t pick the easiest job that requires the least effort and least intellect and expect to end up in the middle.

We are debating the fact that you randomly asked if “$15 dollars an hour is a career job”. It’s a starting point. Plenty of people make great livings at Walmart. But if you end on standing at the door or standing at a register for the entire time, yes you will struggle.

Your uncle had a car and house because he worked for it.

These statements.

No one is claiming $15 an hour is “middle class”. It’s a starting wage. If you make a career as a cashier, no you shouldn’t be “middle class”. You can’t pick the easiest job that requires the least effort and least intellect and expect to end up in the middle.

We are debating the fact that you randomly asked if “$15 dollars an hour is a career job”. It’s a starting point. Plenty of people make great livings at Walmart. But if you end on standing at the door or standing at a register for the entire time, yes you will struggle.

Your uncle had a car and house because he worked for it.

Dude this conversation is stupid and in 12 years of being on here I don’t think I’ve ever said that.

Dude this conversation is stupid and in 12 years of being on here I don’t think I’ve ever said that.

You’re playing into this idea that you can’t make it in America. It’s nonsense. Never been a better time

You’re playing into this idea that you can’t make it in America. It’s nonsense. Never been a better time

I have literally 12 years of posting on here and am in this forum all the time and u think that is my stance?

are u drunk?

How do you get that from anything I have ever said on here?

Please just stop.

Reactions: Vol423
My position is this, I don’t hand any money to people on the street. We do give money to two organizations that are designed to house and feed the homeless locally. My money doesn’t do them much good in their own hands, but it can go much further and help more people in the hands of legitimate charities with that mission. I have bought meals for people that I felt were truly in need of something to eat. I’ve had also had people approach me for money claiming hunger or a litany of other life problems and it was clear they’ve never missed a meal or they were running their scam. Just my .02

My position is this, I don’t hand any money to people on the street. We do give money to two organizations that are designed to house and feed the homeless locally. My money doesn’t do them much good in their own hands, but it can go much further and help more people in the hands of legitimate charities with that mission. I have bought meals for people that I felt were truly in need of something to eat. I’ve had also had people approach me for money claiming hunger or a litany of other life problems and it was clear they’ve never missed a meal or they were running their scam. Just my .02
Buy people on the street food or clothing if you really believe in helping them. Don’t give to organizations they are mostly scams too

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back