Honest Question for Democrats

You pretend like this is a new issue, or a new tax.

The issue has been that corporations find ways to dodge taxes, so they pay nothing. Now, if you really want to deal with the problem, the solution is easy: All net income to a corporation is taxed at some point, which would include:

1) As to shareholders, any time a dividend is paid, tax all dividends at a set rate, say 15%. (In the alternative, allow people to declare dividends as income each time, paying the rate they pay on any income, passive or not). Dividends are taxable income, but not treated as earned income, so not subject to SSN and Medicare (not 100% sure on the Medicare). Surely you are not proposing double-taxing dividends are you? Would certainly change the ROI calculus on investments.

2) As to corporate officers, tax all salaries and bonuses, including stock options, at a reasonable rate, not to be influenced by deductions. Salaries and bonuses are taxable at the individual's personal tax rate. Not sure on the tax treatment of stock options, but are they not taxable until the stock gained by the exercise of the options is sold? Or when/if the options are liquidated at their FMV? Just for clarification, what constitutes a "reasonable" tax rate and who decides what that is?

3) As to the corporations themselves, if they use the net income in a given year to do stock buybacks, tax the buybacks at a set rate. I think 20 % is about right but it is open to negotiation. Again, this sounds like potentially double-taxing corporate income, unless the excess cash comes from other sources of cash, such as financing or some other balance sheet maneuver. As a stockholder, I think this would suck.

Corporations save money because they don't have to pay for accountants to find ways to bleed off profit to avoid taxes. The US government benefits by increased tax revenue from the people actually benefiting from the income. The consumer benefits because there is no need to increase prices for the product or service to pay corporate taxes.

See boldface comments.

What boomer debt? It seems to me that your generation has racked up more debt in the last 10 years than anyone else has in history.
What? Boomers are still in charge of this nightmare train

Wouldn’t the proposed 15% Corporate Tax bill just push most of that cost to the consumer making things worse?

Even worse in some cases the government will hold corporations own fed income tax expense as ransom money and/or redistribution to other corporations if they do as they say.

So the only people responsible for the debt are boomers? What about the rest of the adults like yourself?
Most of it. I was still in elementary school when you all were cheering on Reagan's crazy spending

That is lazy really. Of course Boomers are in charge as they are in the age to be in leadership positions. The latest crop of newbies on the Dem side want to expound. From Buttigeig to Sanders..no difference.
Trump wanted to expand and he's not on the Dem side (anymore...). Much of this debt is on that generation whether they want to admit it or not

I supported the Tea party...and DC ate them alive. Good luck finding a President that will not be as well. Especially without a super majority in Congress.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Jump on the train there big boy, your generation is as guilty as mine or my father's before me.
Not really. Mine tried to push back and was run out by your party politics. Then add the debt required to maintain your generation as they disintegrate

What boomer debt? It seems to me that your generation has racked up more debt in the last 10 years than anyone else has in history.

We probably haven't seen anything yet. The money printing efforts may dwarf anything ever seen in this country, I fear. Listen to AOC; there are a lot of people in this country who have about the same level of understanding of monetary policy and economics as she does, meaning a level somewhere slightly below the average cow pile. Add/include the number who have been enjoying life without financial repercussions because of their parents.

If I’m 45 which one does that make me? I just need to know so I can choose sides.

Trump wanted to expand and he's not on the Dem side (anymore...). Much of this debt is on that generation whether they want to admit it or not

I was hoping that the tax cuts would lead to more income..aka Laffer. Not sure it had time to run its course. especially with COVID.
Trump was disappointing to me in this regard for sure, but if anything he would of bended to his base.

Regardless, lots blame to go around and we better focus on the future.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Gen X doesn't need it but aren't triggered by it either. Guess that's the thinning skin of old age
You know the younger generation always blames the generation before them for the problems of the world.

I was hoping that the tax cuts would lead to more income..aka Laffer. Not sure it had time to run its course. especially with COVID.
Trump was disappointing to me in this regard for sure, but if anything he would of bended to his base.

Regardless, lots blame to go around and we better focus on the future.

The tax cuts were a great idea. He didn’t cut spending enough to keep from piling on to the carnage. I have heard that he reached out to Laffer for advice. I had hoped too.

This generational label is too stupid. Heck..some arbitrary line that falls into identity politics and the blame game.

The tax cuts were a great idea. He didn’t cut spending enough to keep from piling on to the carnage. I have heard that he reached out to Laffer for advice. I had hoped too.

How do states attract investment and jobs? By cutting taxes.
So wouldn't the inverse of raising taxes lead to reduced investment?
I will make a prediction.. next year...people will either be begging for a job or the state will be subsiding this inflation. Gonna be one way or the other.

Reactions: sonofUT62

VN Store

Back