Hope they are right, but this is wild

Tennessee is exempt from the heijoke trophy...........................lack of media in this part of the country! Real live honest media anyway. Will never be enough votes. Strictly gone political. If you do not believe me ask the Manning family.

Tennessee is exempt from the heijoke trophy...........................lack of media in this part of the country! Real live honest media anyway. Will never be enough votes. Strictly gone political. If you do not believe me ask the Manning family.
I enjoy thinking that, too. Just too much bias against southern players by the northeastern, mid-western, and west coast media.

But every time I get all worked up about it, I do the research, and...it's wrong.

Plenty of football players from southern programs have won the Heisman. In fact, 15 of the past 20: Jayden Daniels (LSU), Bryce Young (Bama), DeVonta Smith (Bama), Joe Burrow (LSU), Kyler Murray (Oklahoma), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), Derrick Henry (Bama), Jameis Winston (FSU), Johnny Manziel (A&M), Robert Griffen III (Baylor), Cam Newton (Auburn), Mark Ingram (Bama), Sam Bradford (Oklahoma), Tim Tebow (Florida).

In fact, it's harder to find a Heisman winner from the B10 and PAC footprints than it is to find one from SEC lands. Only five of the former in the past 20 years: 3 for USCw, 1 Ohio St, and 1 Oregon.

So yeah, the Tennessee jinx is, I'm afraid, confined to the state of Tennessee. All our neighbors--South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M--they all got at least one. It's really just us. Well, and Kentucky, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Mississippi lol.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
After watching him in person at the Citrus Bowl and making Swiss cheese of the 7th ranked defense in the country with his legs for 3 TD's..I'm excited to see what this kid (and team) can do if they shore up his protection. Yeah, I'm sure he is gonna whiz some f##kers for TD's but this dude seems to have some pretty incredible field vision for a freshman. If Milton would have been in that game UT still wins, 7-0 from the pick six.

I always hate asking these questions. Language is so fluid today, and so many normal and "good" words get appropriated to mean something vulgar.

But this is all I know after 69 years of speaking English:

suave
/swäv/
adjective
1. charming, confident, and elegant (typically used of a man).

So what modern pop reference or urban slang makes this making fun of our own player?
There was a pop song 30 years ago titled Rico Suave. since it was so popular not everyone made fun of/ had disdain for it but most masculine guys i hung around with did.

Maybe it's a me thing.... but IMO it's cringy.

Edit: plus if they play the song at the stadium... just no.

Edit 2. I looked up the meaning of the term Rico Suave. Apparently it was slang in some Latin countries for a ladies man that dressed loose clothes. So I suppose the meaning isn't derogatory but please, in the name of all things that are good, do not have a revival for this song. And especially not in Neyland Stadium.

I'm looking at you Mr Henton..8^)

Last edited:
I enjoy thinking that, too. Just too much bias against southern players by the northeastern, mid-western, and west coast media.

But every time I get all worked up about it, I do the research, and...it's wrong.

Plenty of football players from southern programs have won the Heisman. In fact, 15 of the past 20: Jayden Daniels (LSU), Bryce Young (Bama), DeVonta Smith (Bama), Joe Burrow (LSU), Kyler Murray (Oklahoma), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma), Lamar Jackson (Louisville), Derrick Henry (Bama), Jameis Winston (FSU), Johnny Manziel (A&M), Robert Griffen III (Baylor), Cam Newton (Auburn), Mark Ingram (Bama), Sam Bradford (Oklahoma), Tim Tebow (Florida).

In fact, it's harder to find a Heisman winner from the B10 and PAC footprints than it is to find one from SEC lands. Only five of the former in the past 20 years: 3 for USCw, 1 Ohio St, and 1 Oregon.

So yeah, the Tennessee jinx is, I'm afraid, confined to the state of Tennessee. All our neighbors--South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Bama, Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M--they all got at least one. It's really just us. Well, and Kentucky, North Carolina, Arkansas, and Mississippi lol.

Go Vols!
IMO Oklahoma and Louisville are not Southern teams. Just because their now in a conference with other Southern teams. So now do we call USC, oregon etc a Northern team since their in the B1G.

IMO Oklahoma and Louisville are not Southern teams. Just because their now in a conference with other Southern teams. So now do we call USC, oregon etc a Northern team since their in the B1G.
Louisville is in Kentucky, you know. Ask any person from the Northeast, Mid-west, or West Coast, and they'll identify Kentucky as a southern state.

Oklahoma is a bit different. It is a Great Plains state. Along with Texas, Kansas, Mizzou, etc. But Oklahoma certainly fits southern culture better than Missouri does. It's kinda like Texas, half-in, half-out.

And now, in the SEC. So I counted it.

But okay, set Oklahoma aside. Still, 12 of the past 20 Heisman winners are in the SEC footprint. The footprint before Oklahoma and Texas joined, I mean. More than half. Let that sink in.

There is no anti-southern bias, much as we'd like to think there is.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I think Nico will be fine, just stop the Heisman talk, if it happens ok,if not it's ok.

Reactions: tbh
I was scrolling through instagram and saw this. I understand the hype, but 5th highest odds for Nico to win the Heisman next year? Seems a little high and optimistic. I wonder if the sports book is trying to take advantage of the hype from the bowl and strike while the iron is hot. What are your thoughts?
My bet is he comes in second...the winner will be on a 2-10 team and will be the first special teams player to ever win the award..just sayin'

There was a pop song 30 years ago titled Rico Suave. since it was so popular not everyone made fun of/ had disdain for it but most masculine guys i hung around with did.

Maybe it's a me thing.... but IMO it's cringy.

Edit: plus if they play the song at the stadium... just no.

Edit 2. I looked up the meaning of the term Rico Suave. Apparently it was slang in some Latin countries for a ladies man that dressed loose clothes. So I suppose the meaning isn't derogatory but please, in the name of all things that are good, do not have a revival for this song. And especially not in Neyland Stadium.

I'm looking at you Mr Henton..8^)
Thanks! I looked it up, listened, watched the video. You're right. It is not for our Nico!

First of all... you don't have to be "woke" to understand that a proud Polynesian would not like being personified as Latin---and visa versa!

I'm also pretty sure his parents (and hopefully Nico himself) would not care to spend his public time explaining that he does not consider himself a gigalo.

I think for people interested in proffering nicknames it's time to dig into the Polynesian dictionary and learn some more about his culture. (I don't yet even know if his family's Polynesian roots are Tahitian, Samoan, Tongan, Māori or Hawaiian?)

But of all people, people in Tennessee ought to know the power of first-name-only recognition of talent and celebrity. Elvis ... Dolly ... Peyton ... Nico.

The one... the only.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
And for the nickname insistent: Nico Suave in Hawaiian (according to Google translator) would be
Nico 'olu'olu.

Can you see 100,000 Tennessee fans singing "Nico ... 'Olu'olu" in unison?

I just hope we can get through September into cold weather without too many grass skirts and coconut shell bras (...even on the coeds). Bomb security detail might slow up the line getting into the stadium.

Thanks! I looked it up, listened, watched the video. You're right. It is not for our Nico!

First of all... you don't have to be "woke" to understand that a proud Polynesian would not like being personified as Latin---and visa versa!

I'm also pretty sure his parents (and hopefully Nico himself) would not care to spend his public time explaining that he does not consider himself a gigalo.

I think for people interested in proffering nicknames it's time to dig into the Polynesian dictionary and learn some more about his culture. (I don't yet even know if his family's Polynesian roots are Tahitian, Samoan, Tongan, Māori or Hawaiian?)

But of all people, people in Tennessee ought to know the power of first-name-only recognition of talent and celebrity. Elvis ... Dolly ... Peyton ... Nico.

The one... the only.

For sure the home of One Name Legends. Davy, Alvin, Stonewall, Volunteers all.

I was scrolling through instagram and saw this. I understand the hype, but 5th highest odds for Nico to win the Heisman next year? Seems a little high and optimistic. I wonder if the sports book is trying to take advantage of the hype from the bowl and strike while the iron is hot. What are your thoughts?
In the Heupel system, I think the books always have to account for the possibility of massive Hendon-like numbers at QB.

If Nico really shines and lives up to all the hype, the offensive production in this offense will be huge. Like if we go 10-2, that means the offense/QB has been phenomenal, where as other teams, i.e. Michigan this year, can lean on run game/defense/weak conference and still go undefeated

Why do we get our hopes up?

iu

Don't care. Award means about as much as winning a free ticket on a scratcher these days

A NC trophy at the end of the year is all that matters
Second place is first loser. Any award after the championship is feel good stuff for people who don't enjoy competition IMO.

Go Vols!
JMO, but I don’t consider Louisville and Oklahoma as teams from the South. Old school, but anything west of the Mississippi is suspect to me.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
My advice for Nico is just focus on the team and winning games. Worrying about the Heisman should not be on the radar. Play good and it will take care of itself. And politics has pretty much ruined the award. I would be happy for him but I am sure he would rather win a national championship, if he leads Tennessee to that it trumps the political Heisman. GBO

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I think its crazier that Milroe is even in the discussion. He is trash and was trash before the playoff game.
He beat us pretty good in the second half this year. What does that say about UT. He may not be prototypical qb but he’s a damn good athlete and a game changer

Shouldn't be all that surprising given his 5 star pedigree, his performance vs Iowa as a true freshman, and the offense that he plays. Much the same way Klubnik had a ton of helium coming into this season. When your program gets a reputation for producing highly productive offenses, your QB1 is going to get a lot of pre-season hype

He beat us pretty good in the second half this year. What does that say about UT. He may not be prototypical qb but he’s a damn good athlete and a game changer
Using our pass defense as a litmus for a QB is pretty weak. He’s a terrible QB and if not for auburn having one of the worst pass defending plays in the history of the rivalry, nobody is talking about the guy. He’s a great athlete, he’s a pretty meh QB.

Imo Penix from Washington should have got it this year.

JMO, but I don’t consider Louisville and Oklahoma as teams from the South. Old school, but anything west of the Mississippi is suspect to me.
Honest question: do you also not consider the University of Kentucky (in Lexington) as part of the Southern US?

I mean, Louisville and Lexington are an hour apart, one due east of the other. If Louisville isn't the south, how can Lexington be?

Again, honest question. Making sure I understand your perspective.

VN Store

Back