How’s the OT looking this weekend?

For whatever reason, we always struggle with Arkansas. No matter the difference in talent level, they always have our number. I've seen us boat race the rest of the fledgling teams in the SEC. I've never seen an easy win against Arkansas.
I've seen one. The only game I ever had the pleasure of viewing from one of the luxury sky boxes at Neyland. 2000, Casey Clausen and the boys put up 63 points (35 in the 1st Q) and beat the Hogs 63-20. Clausen had 5 TD passes and Travis Henry ran for over 200 yds.

Our last win in the series (2007) was somewhat comfortable, too, winning 34-13, but most other recent wins have been two-score games or less. We've suffered a couple beatdowns in that time, too.

I've seen one. The only game I ever had the pleasure of viewing from one of the luxury sky boxes at Neyland. 2000, Casey Clausen and the boys put up 63 points (35 in the 1st Q) and beat the Hogs 63-20. Clausen had 5 TD passes and Travis Henry ran for over 200 yds.

Our last win in the series (2007) was somewhat comfortable, too, winning 34-13, but most other recent wins have been two-score games or less. We've suffered a couple beatdowns in that time, too.

34-13 is cautiously kind of what I'm expecting the score to be Saturday.

Is Lance Heard, and John Campbell looking good to go? And how does Arkansas look on the front 7 and specifically the edge.

Not sure but I have to ask: where is all this supposed depth we’ve been hearing about for a while? Are most of the OL twos and threes not ready to play “with no drop-off?” We are already gonna have to rebuild our OL this offseason anyway. The OL seems to be our only real weakness this far, through four games. And we have the meat and potatoes of our schedule coming up.

How many of our OL guys are actually part of the in-game rotation, if anybody has been keeping track?

I agree this game scares me more than Florida at home since we haven't won there since 2001. If Heard is back I think that improves our chances but if he is out we may be in for a dog fight.

Reactions: cncchris33
Personally I would just stick Johnson at RT the next couple of games. Campbell is tough though be hard to convince him to sit a couple of games. I’d rather have Johnson get some snaps and Campbell get some rest at this point. I’d rather have others play tackle but Davis isn’t as bad as he looked at OU. He will perform much better at home but it won’t be close to what we need if we want to beat Bama and Georgia imho.
Actually, I like that idea of just starting Johnson at this point. He's probably the RT next year.

For whatever reason, we always struggle with Arkansas. No matter the difference in talent level, they always have our number. I've seen us boat race the rest of the fledgling teams in the SEC. I've never seen an easy win against Arkansas.
We beat them 63-20 in 2000
34-13 in 2007

This isn’t one of their better teams.

Lay off the drama for once 🙄

Actually, I like that idea of just starting Johnson at this point. He's probably the RT next year.
Campbell I think is going to play if he’s physically able. I just would try to save him till Bama at this point. His knee may be to a point where resting him isn’t going to greatly help as well though. I still would like the have Johnson have some experience and Campbell be ready to go for Bama. I’m sure the coaches have a better idea of where he is physically right now though.

Call me crazy but I like Davis. He had couple of bad reps against Oklahoma, so the criticism is fair, but he also had some good ones. And it's worth remembering that the 2nd sack he gave up was his first rep after switching to RT. He was in good position, but the OU player made a great play by ducking the block. The first sack was just Davis losing focus and having his eyes in the wrong place - didn't see the safety blitz coming. It happens.
Like I said I don’t think he’s as bad as he looked in that OU game. Hostile environment, hostile field conditions, and a really good pass rushing defense. That said idk that anyone feels comfortable with him at LT.

Their defense is 1 of the worst in the SEC for sure. Their QB is undisciplined and throws lots of picks, but is talented too running and throwing. Only completes about half his passes though. They wont score much on us IMO...we should beat them by 2TDs or more.

Like I said I don’t think he’s as bad as he looked in that OU game. Hostile environment, hostile field conditions, and a really good pass rushing defense. That said idk that anyone feels comfortable with him at LT.
He got whipped worse at RT on the 2nd sack/fumble. The first one (at LT) was a mental error because he obviously didn't know who to pick up...so he blocked no one. But the 2nd on (at RT), he just got whipped with bad technique.

Can’t imagine what could go wrong with this in a night /road/trap game. Play the best players available and don’t take anything for granted.
I think we’ll be alright as long as the field isn’t like Oklahoma’s.

Arkansas has an absolute unit at DE that's a projected 1st round draft pick. I hope to God we have Heard back!
If your talking about the tall white guy - Didn’t we recruit him and it came down to us and the home state team? He’s a good player.

Would love to see Heard at LT to protoect nico early, then once we build the lead up get some rotation going because we are going to need depth at that spot to play what we need to play later in the year.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Heard is doing much better and will travel and play. I hear Campbell is getting the knee drained and shot up as needed. They say he’ll travel. He won’t return to full strength without surgery. For now, they’re pushing that out as long as they can.

That is indeed good news. Then we can let Johnson be that first swing tackle off the bench

Not sure but I have to ask: where is all this supposed depth we’ve been hearing about for a while? Are most of the OL twos and threes not ready to play “with no drop-off?” We are already gonna have to rebuild our OL this offseason anyway. The OL seems to be our only real weakness this far, through four games. And we have the meat and potatoes of our schedule coming up.

How many of our OL guys are actually part of the in-game rotation, if anybody has been keeping track?
Not sure, but we have 20OL on roster. 4 are good

Not sure, but we have 20OL on roster. 4 are good

VN Store

Back