How many games does Butch have to win in 2013 to keep the recruiting class together?

oregonvol

I have to say, right now, Butch Jones and co. are doing an amazing job with recruiting and I'm more excited than I've been in a long time. That said, USC was putting together a monumental class midway through the 2012 season but after they struggled so much, it mostly fell apart by signing day.

So, what do you think our record needs to be this year in order to keep this momentum going and keep kids onboard through signing day?

0, zero, nich, nil, nada. He doesn't have to win any games to keep this class together, he has done this much without winning any yet hasn't he ?

he is building this class on something else. Excitement , desire and a purpose that all the recruits and players have bought into. This has a life of its own and the momentum is building, something special is going on up on the hill.

Reactions: 8 people
I don't think there's a magic number. I think it's more about progression, and players being better than they were last year.

Reactions: 8 people
We just need to compete. If we win the games we have more talent in. I think we should be 6-6 and then we need to compete until the end in the others. If we can show we are close and need these players to put us back in contention, I think we will be fine.

Reactions: 1 person
A bowl game would help I'm sure, but I kind of agree with 99 (begrudgingly)

Compete in every game.... Make some noise... Keep getting throughout the year.... win November....

6 plus a bowl to keep the momentum going. The better recruits that are waiting later to commit are not yet sold on UT. Most want to be, so he needs to give them a good reason.

It's human nature. Some enthusiastically support what they believe will be positive change. Others want to see evidence first.

I have to say, right now, Butch Jones and co. are doing an amazing job with recruiting and I'm more excited than I've been in a long time. That said, USC was putting together a monumental class midway through the 2012 season but after they struggled so much, it mostly fell apart by signing day.

So, what do you think our record needs to be this year in order to keep this momentum going and keep kids onboard through signing day?

He just needs to win the games we're supposed to win and be competitive against Bama,Georgia,Oregon, and S.C. Don't stress.

7 minimum to keep the momentum.

Get one upset to make it 8 and the orange will be feared again. jmo

I don't think there's a magic number. I think it's more about progression, and players being better than they were last year.

This. The team just be competitive and stick together. 6-6 and a bowl game will def help though.

I've bever seen a class where we don't loose some guys towards the end. Still this class will be top 5 if not No. 1 at the end of the year.

All of them. Failure is not an option, this is Tennessee football. If any player lolly-gags, kick them off the team. If we lose a game, fire everyone and start over. I'm sick and tired of this losing nonsense, it's time we got serious about restoring glory to Rocky Top. Butch is on a very short leash. You're not in the Big Least anymore, coach, you're playing real football now.

(hopefully, that came across as sarcasm, that was my intent. GBO.)

Doesnt matter.

Kids are not commiting based on this year's results

Exactly. They're committing because they want to help turn this program around and they're not oblivious of the existing talent or schedule that lies ahead.

I think the class of 2014 sees themselves as a completely new era at UT. Doesn't matter what the classes of 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 do on the field this year.

And if we sign a full class and everyone makes it in, the 2014 class will make up more than 1/3 of the roster.

Don't lose games because (1) your players play and you coach in a way that makes you appear afraid to win [see Georgia game 2011, Missouri game 2012, and Florida game 2012] and (2) your team gives up on you.

If those 2 things can be avoided, the wins will come.

VN Store

Back