How one outlet sees next SEC season going

I just read where Texas Am is first in the transfer portal rankings. Ironically, they have the highest endowment of any SEC school prior to Texas joining. Most people cannot even name their head coach, but he is getting all the players. Wow has the landscape changed with the portal.
Elko did a great job at Duke. He’s not a flashy hire but he was a good one.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I don't get the love for LSU. They seem to be meh to me. I think they will be good but not 8-0 or 7-1 in SEC play.

Georgia and Texas will be the top two teams IMO but still a lot can happen between now and September.

I don’t know, I’m suspicious that the media is still in love with the brand that Saban built, I just don’t think, especially with all these guys leaving, that Bama has a roster of 10-2. I’m feeling more and more comfortable with that TN v Bama game, especially with it being in Knoxville. Also, Mizzou won’t be 11-1. They had a great year this year with a very down SEC, I don’t see it continuing next year. And they’re saying Texas beats the juggernaut that is UGA only to lose to A&M? Sorry, I don’t buy that one bit.
Even with a bunch of folks leaving they’ll have a roster full of 4 and 5 star players. 90% of their roster was 4 and 5 stars last year, highest ever in college football history I believe I recall hearing. They won’t be the same as under Saban in general but they’re very capable of 10-2.

Even with a bunch of folks leaving they’ll have a roster full of 4 and 5 star players. 90% of their roster was 4 and 5 stars last year, highest ever in college football history I believe I recall hearing. They won’t be the same as under Saban in general but they’re very capable of 10-2.

A few thoughts though:

1. Some of the 4/5 stars are leaving or decommitting (not a sizable number but some important pieces)
2. The 4/5 stars at Alabama haven't really looked that great the last 2 years. Alabama's defense was meh at times in 2023 and this year they had issues with offense (especially offensive line). This is common with Dynasties and Alabama under Saban was one of the few that avoiding this. Usually, even when programs get great recruiting classes, these classes just don't live up to past players. See USC Pete Carroll teams after 2005, Fulmer teams after 2001, Florida State after 2000, Nebraska after 2001, Texas after 2009, etc. They had 4/5 stars but there teams declined.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Very reasonable prediction, but I believe we beat Alabama at home with the roster turnover they've had. They've essentially lost half their team between the portal and NFL/ graduation. They'll still be good, but vulnerable. OU on the road is tough but winnable, Georgia on the road probably isn't going to happen. Watch out for NC State. Probably our 4th or 5th hardest game depending how you feel about Kentucky.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Tennessee gonna take Bama out behind the woodshed and beat them like a rented red headed step child mule who owes them money.

Reactions: OrangeEtBlanc
A few thoughts though:

1. Some of the 4/5 stars are leaving or decommitting (not a sizable number but some important pieces)
2. The 4/5 stars at Alabama haven't really looked that great the last 2 years. Alabama's defense was meh at times in 2023 and this year they had issues with offense (especially offensive line). This is common with Dynasties and Alabama under Saban was one of the few that avoiding this. Usually, even when programs get great recruiting classes, these classes just don't live up to past players. See USC Pete Carroll teams after 2005, Fulmer teams after 2001, Florida State after 2000, Nebraska after 2001, Texas after 2009, etc. They had 4/5 stars but there teams declined.
They did and Deboer is good but he’s no Saban. I do think they’ll have the ability to still be 10-2 with Milroe back but they also could be worse.

It is not out of the realm of possibility fpr both Tennessee and ugh to be undefeated when they play each other, with a likely SEC title on the line. EPIC

I don't get the love for LSU. They seem to be meh to me. I think they will be good but not 8-0 or 7-1 in SEC play.

Georgia and Texas will be the top two teams IMO but still a lot can happen between now and September.
Texas, because they have a very weak sec schedule.

This is where outlets who crank out these articles show they are unaware on many fronts. First LSU (duh) lost their version of Hendon Hooker, so the schedule may be easier, but still play Bama, OK, OM, FL, etc. MIZ had 8 SR starters on D and 13 SR starters on 2 deep D, plus had all SEC RB who got them first downs and kept the D off the field with sustained drives...NO WAY MIZ repeats that. Besides talent on their rosters, UGA and Bama returns top tier SEC QBs and that matters a ton...not up to speed on TX. Assuming UGA/Bama probable losses, the OK and UF games are critical and will go a long way to saying how well Vols do in 2024.
On Defense we return our two Inside LB's Newsom/Hicks...Hopper and Baily didn't play the last 4-6 games do to injury. We return one DE and one DT. We return both are Starting Free Safety in Charelston, our Star safety Carnell, and one CB in Norwood who replaced Rakeshaw who was in and out of the Lineup all year. So yes we only have 7 starters returning on Defense and we lost our DC to boot. It is obvious we will have to rebuild that side of the ball. We have plugged in with some solid TP guys and a Nice recruiting class but no doubt we will have some growing pains and it might be mid-season before we have figure it out.

Offensively though we return everybody but Schrader and our LT/LG. We did land a Big time TP player a OU starter in Green to play LT. .

Offensively we should be very very good. Landing two highly touted Transfer RB's to fill the RB spot that was vacated....offensively bar any injuries we should be pretty dang good.

And while I think that prediction is clearly way to optimistic. I don't think the fall will be as far as some think do to our Schedule being pretty favorable.

Oklahoma will tell us a lot. They aren't any better than us. If we can win over there in a hostile environment, it will go a long way. But that's their first SEC game. They will be sky high for it.
And we haven’t played well on the road. If he wins that game, he’ll get Florida Bama back to back at home. This season he can really solidify himself with some wins against elite programs that are going through some troubled times. If everything falls right maybe we get in the playoffs

Oklahoma will tell us a lot. They aren't any better than us. If we can win over there in a hostile environment, it will go a long way. But that's their first SEC game. They will be sky high for it.
I don't see UT winning that one. Maybe we play tough and don't get blown out but so far Heupel teams don't play particularly well on the road except against cellar dweller teams.

I don't see UT winning that one. Maybe we play tough and don't get blown out but so far Heupel teams don't play particularly well on the road except against cellar dweller teams.
It's Oklahoma. I guarantee that Heupel will have the team ready to play that game. He will want to coach the game of his life and will pull everything in the playbook in order to win that one.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
It's Oklahoma. I guarantee that Heupel will have the team ready to play that game. He will want to coach the game of his life and will pull everything in the playbook in order to win that one.
I think you're projecting that onto him. I think he wants to play the game of his life against Bama and Georgia and Florida and every other SEC team he needs to beat.

He's had his chance to beat better teams than Oklahoma on the road and he did what he did.

I think Missouri was a one-hit wonder last year. One winning season in the last four years.
It's absolute recency bias, and it is astounding how people think that is sustainable.

Also, consider that most of the predictions about Mizzou are made by people who didn't predict Mizzou last year (thus making last year a great story to begin with).

VN Store

Back