Hunter to the Titans

Lendale White had a bunch of touchdowns that one year when Chris Johnson did all the work. Killed my Fantasy team.

The Titans 2nd rounders since moving to Tennessee:

Joey Kent
Samari Rolle
John Thornton
Andre Dyson
Tank Williams
Tyrone Calico
Ben Troupe
Travis LaBoy
Antwan Odom
Michael Roos
LenDale White
Chris Henry
Jason Jones
SenDerrick Marks
Akeem Ayers
Zach Brown

Even granting Ayers and Brown a pass because they are so new, how many on this list were worthy of a second round pick? Roos and Rolle?

One thing that is curious is the Zaviar Gooden pickup.

We'll have 2 OLBs having 4.5 or faster 40' times. Given the style of defense that Gregg Williams (though not DC in an "official capacity") likes to play... having 2 very fast OLBs is interesting.

Ironically enough... Gooden was compared to Zach Brown. If we get another 90+ tackle, 5 sack, 3 INT OLB I'll be happy.
That one didn't make a lot of sense to me either...not that high for a depth guy. I'm thinking he will rotate in when they want Ayers to rush. Thought they should have taken a DE at that point. Okafor or William Gholston were my two favorites still on the board. Lavar Edwards might be a steal, though. LSU was loaded full of NFL talent, and he was productive when they rotated him in.

I really wish we had another 2nd Rd pick and took Margus Hunt. That dude is a freak of nature and will likely have a huge impact for the Bengals.

The Titans 2nd rounders since moving to Tennessee:

Joey Kent
Samari Rolle
John Thornton
Andre Dyson
Tank Williams
Tyrone Calico
Ben Troupe
Travis LaBoy
Antwan Odom
Michael Roos
LenDale White
Chris Henry
Jason Jones
SenDerrick Marks
Akeem Ayers
Zach Brown

Even granting Ayers and Brown a pass because they are so new, how many on this list were worthy of a second round pick? Roos and Rolle?

Those are, to me, worthy of their 2nd Round pickups.

Remember, you said "abysmal". Those aren't "abysmal" pickups. Could the Titans have done better? Certainly. They haven't gotten a Pro Bowler in the 2nd Round outside of Rolle and Roos but that doesn't mean the non-PB picks are "abysmal".

Look at the player's production in that time period. Not outstanding, but definitely serviceable starters. I'd say the bar is, for a 2nd-4th Rounder, a servicable starter for the contract period. If you're lucky, you'll have gotten a gem and resign them.

We got decent to good, but not great, production for 3-4 years out of the bolded players.

Last edited:
That one didn't make a lot of sense to me either...not that high for a depth guy. I'm thinking he will rotate in when they want Ayers to rush. Thought they should have taken a DE at that point. Okafor or William Gholston were my two favorites still on the board. Lavar Edwards might be a steal, though. LSU was loaded full of NFL talent, and he was productive when they rotated him in.

It starts to make sense when you consider how Gregg Williams may be steering the Titans defense. He goes for speed speed speed.

With 4.5 Zach Brown and now 4.46 Zaviar Gooden (And they're 240/230 respectively so good sized) they have a lot of speed on the outside especially to replace Brown in their Coverage sets if need be.

However, I'm with you. I'd have rather seen the Titans take Okafor instead of Gooden but overall I might be happier with Gooden/Edwards instead of just Okafor. Gooden was the only LB on the board at that point that has tremendous speed. The other LBs were all high 4.6s and we already have Ayers/McCarthy at MLB. We need OLB depth and Gooden is better depth at OLB than any other LB available. Plus, given some time, Gooden might work in on Will if Ayers needs to move back to MLB.

So, overall, I'm happy with the pick I guess.

Last edited:
It's a different group of people in charge of drafting now, so I don't see the point of rehashing past drafts, when this current group didn't draft and develop them.

Munch and Webster have done a great job in the draft, so far.

It starts to make sense when you consider how Gregg Williams may be steering the Titans defense. He goes for speed speed speed.

With 4.5 Zach Brown and now 4.46 Zaviar Gooden (And they're 240/230 respectively so good sized) they have a lot of speed on the outside especially to replace Brown in their Coverage sets if need be.

However, I'm with you. I'd have rather seen the Titans take Okafor instead of Gooden but overall I might be happier with Gooden/Edwards instead of just Okafor. Gooden was the only LB on the board at that point that has tremendous speed. The other LBs were all high 4.6s and we already have Ayers/McCarthy at MLB. We need OLB depth and Gooden is better depth at OLB than any other LB available. Plus, given some time, Gooden might work in on Will if Ayers needs to move back to MLB.

So, overall, I'm happy with the pick I guess.

Ayers needs to be used to rush the QB as much as possible.

VN Store

Back