I feel like this offense can and at one point will start to click

They better do something or we are headed for the Birmingham bowl.

I am tired of these ridiculous takes. This team is still good enough to go 9-3 even if the offense doesn't improve a lot. Kentucky's offense is worse than ours and their defense isn't as good. Miss State is a worse team than NC State. UTEP isn't very good. Vandy looks good right now but I just don't see them holding up in the trenches and I think Sampson will have a field day. We tend to be able to overpower Vandy. They are probably the most dangerous of these schools.

Let's say we lose to Alabama and Georgia like you are stating, that is still 9-3 and gets us to at least the Citrus. Take worse case which is losing to Vandy as well, still 8-4 and it got us into Citrus last year. I just don't see us losing to UTEP, UK, or Miss State frankly. I would bet on Florida beating UK this weekend. UK has one good win all year long (Ole Miss) and then one "good" loss. They have pretty much been mediocre outside of those games.

Tennessee will be somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4. I am thinking 9-3 is very likely unless we win this Saturday (we have a chance).

Reactions: MemphisVol77
We saw those looks against NC State. I am wondering why they are gone now.
Don't know and it's strange. Kitsleman, or however you spell it, looked like a very capable receiving TE and made some really good plays early. Then that facet disappeared. And who better to let loose against Bammer, than a former Bammer player that came our way.

I am tired of these ridiculous takes. This team is still good enough to go 9-3 even if the offense doesn't improve a lot. Kentucky's offense is worse than ours and their defense isn't as good. Miss State is a worse team than NC State. UTEP isn't very good. Vandy looks good right now but I just don't see them holding up in the trenches and I think Sampson will have a field day. We tend to be able to overpower Vandy. They are probably the most dangerous of these schools.

Let's say we lose to Alabama and Georgia like you are stating, that is still 9-3 and gets us to at least the Citrus. Take worse case which is losing to Vandy as well, still 8-4 and it got us into Citrus last year. I just don't see us losing to UTEP, UK, or Miss State frankly. I would bet on Florida beating UK this weekend. UK has one good win all year long (Ole Miss) and then one "good" loss. They have pretty much been mediocre outside of those games.

Tennessee will be somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4. I am thinking 9-3 is very likely unless we win this Saturday (we have a chance).
That's a fair take, and my initial expectations were around 9-3 with a shot at pulling off a 10-2 or better if hte football Gods willed it. Yes, we should be performing far better at receiver than I've seen. Seems our veterans have had trouble finding daylight. And you have a freshman QB that hasn't honed his sense of when to take off to relax the coverages on the receivers. In my mind the OK/Ark win/loss was reversed. Didn't see either of those scenarios coming. Ark DC just had a brilliant game plan that was executed all 4 quarters. Never thought I'd see an OK team get thrashed by TX like that. They have been bad and show no signs of knowing why they have been bad. Realistically I was seeing a drop to Bama and GA with a decent chance to win either as a gift with a good game. Bama has been perplexing however, so that makes this a fairly dangerous game. We could curb stomp them or get in like kind. With our D, however, if we show up to play O all bets are off.

If the D loves this team at all, they would be the catalyst in practice this week that gets our offense woke up and doing their job. Nothing wrong with a little calling out.

I'm not sure we have enough bullets for a shootout. Bama is going to blitz every down and expose our weakness (our OL). Hopefully we have a game plan to counter that if it happens.
definitely going to happen...good thing is, you know it's coming and like you said, hope we have plan to counter.

Some of these folks think they are coaches, our O -Line hasn’t been as bad as some portray. It’s a false start or holding here and there and a missed assignment at a critical time. But not wall to wall bad, we lead the sec in rushing and Sampson has went over a 100 every game. And yes things CAN start clicking and improving. Can’t wait till Saturday! GBO

Some of these folks think they are coaches, our O -Line hasn’t been as bad as some portray. It’s a false start or holding here and there and a missed assignment at a critical time. But not wall to wall bad, we lead the sec in rushing and Sampson has went over a 100 every game. And yes things CAN start clicking and improving. Can’t wait till Saturday! GBO
You are correct, and Heard had missed a lot of playing time until the last few weeks which has hurt his conditioning but he did make some progress last week. Do I think it’s an overnight fix? Nope, but for all we know it may all click for him and suddenly Nico is better protected and it could be lights out for Bama. We could be disappointed Saturday but I haven’t felt any anxiety about this game like I have in the past. I think if we get a fast start and score early in the game our crowd will be so loud Milroe will fall apart and we be lighting those stogies!

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
If you've ever played OLine you've experienced how much better the flow becomes as the season progresses.

Every formation you face becomes easier to deal with as you and your mates on the OLine become a cohesive unit.

"Jelling" if you will.

lol…yes they do and they couldn’t coach a man with 6 ft arms to wipe his ass.

OL has to play better.

Nico has to play better.

Heupel/Halze play calling has to be better.

WRs have to play better.

It’s not just one or two things. Everything has to come together. Hope that happens at some point this year against a good team.

We have the bodies to do it.. they just need to clean up on execution. The good news is the defense has been good enough we can wait for the offense to gel.. up until right about now. We need to drop 30 Saturday. For 3 straight games we have been held to 25 or less. We have only ever won three games in CHJ tenure scoring less than 30. 20-13 vs T A&M last season and the 2 this year. The good news is Bama has never held us under 20 and that was back when they had an SEC defensive coordinator and not some guy from the Sunbelt. Their DC has a weird resume. He played TE/FB in college, started off as a QB coach and then went to linebackers? looks like he was on the same coaching staff with Deboer in Indiana for a single season? Even stranger he looks like if Butch Jones and Jeremy Pruitt had a baby with Dooley as the godfather.

Hopefully this Saturday.

Let's be positive. Stop all the negativity and beat Alabama.
I saw where CJH said we were close to being good offensively and I was a bit skeptical. So having nothing else to do, I went back and watched the game again and made a drive chart. Well to some degree Josh is correct. You could make a case that we stooped ourselves more often than Florida did. Quit holding, turning it over, and hit wide open receivers and we probably beat the Gators by 3 scores. Anyway here's the drive chart play by play and I'm not quite as skeptical of Josh after making it.

Attachments

• 2024 Florida Game Vols Drive Chart.pdf
    176.4 KB · Views: 2
I’ve not seen avg time of play discussed on this board. I heard one analyst say it’s because TN OL is so out of shape.

I do miss up temp ball.

2021 1st in nation at 19.2 secs/play
2022 2nd 20.2
2023 4th 21.2
2024 28th 24.5

I hope you’re right because 8-4 is garbage for year four with the Tennessee’s budget, NIL, and facilities that we have.

Honestly, the run game is above average, and Nico’s numbers aren’t even that far behind the superstar Milroe’s. The media did a disservice to this offense and Nico by gassing them up way too much over the last 6 months.

Reactions: volbound1700
Hopefully this Saturday.

Let's be positive. Stop all the negativity and beat Alabama.
This is a big moment in UT football history. The offense is not as good as 2022 but the defense is 4 times better. Bama and UGA are both beatable if we can generate 35 points per game. Just stop the holding penalties and we have a shot, we just scored 23 points in the last half of football played. I am sure the defense will put us in a position to win the rest of the games on the schedule.

Reactions: rocketskates
This is a big moment in UT football history. The offense is not as good as 2022 but the defense is 4 times better. Bama and UGA are both beatable if we can generate 35 points per game. Just stop the holding penalties and we have a shot, we just scored 23 points in the last half of football played. I am sure the defense will put us in a position to win the rest of the games on the schedule.

Defense hasn’t given up more than 19 points in a ballgame this year. That’s some serious elite stuff. They will have us in the game every Saturday, offense just has to produce a little more. You’re exactly right, no more dumb penalties, no more stupid turnovers.

I would be scared for Bama if they decide to Blitz a lot because they do not have the defensive backfield to win 1:1s against even our WRs. We have struggled against the blitz though so you are probably right. Need some quick designed throws because the opportunity will be there for our WRs to make a play.
Doesn't matter if they get to the qb. And I agree we need some quick designed throws. Been saying that the last 3 games.

We had WR open against FL NIco just missed the passes. Against OK and Arky we did not have WR open. The offense is getting closer it just has a few more "clicks" until it is full throttle again. The running game has slowed down because we have gotten into SEC play and there are better front 7's the OL is going against.
We've had receivers running open all season, including OK & ARK. We will never hit them all, but we need to hit a few Saturday...

Reactions: AdoptedVOL

VN Store

Back