I"m sure this will get X'd real quick but

EtowahVol

Here we are the week end after the 1 st Vol football game and the clowns( at one of the radio stations) are using the time for talking about Bar-b-que. Geez if I was an a sponsor I'd want my money back.

Here we are the week end after the 1 st Vol football game and the clowns( at one of the radio stations) are using the time for talking about Bar-b-que. Geez if I was an a sponsor I'd want my money back.
I hear barbecued moccasin leather tastes like chicken, kinda like barbecued gator.

It’s a food segment with Chad and Jake they do all year long. They’ve talked about college football the entire show. I’m not a big fan of the show, but I listen some, and don’t see this as being something to be upset about.

Actually UTC got taken over by the DEI crowd and they are the "Mockingbirds" now.

Yeah I know ...
Moc is just short for the original moccasins and also for the mocking bird(state bird) being that’s it’s been this way for decades now I don’t believe it was a dei thing

Reactions: 08Vol and jonnon111
Moc is just short for the original moccasins and also for the mocking bird(state bird) being that’s it’s been this way for decades now I don’t believe it was a dei thing

Yes. There was a brief stint in the late 80's-early 90's where the mascot was a large Indian moccasin. The students hated it and mocked the university mercilessly. Everyone called it the Shoe. I was there the night some frat brothers stole it and crowd surfed the costume up and over the wall at Chamberlain Field. I don't think anyone ever saw it again. Fun times.

No, they are not the Mockingbirds. They are still the Moccasins, (named after Moccasin Bend, NOT the shoe). The mockingbird is just the mascot.

This is not entirely accurate. UTC has adopted the Mockingbird as their mascot, but they are not the Moccasins, they are the Mocs. It isn't short for anything - not any more at least. Apparently no one really knows the origin of the Moccasins name so it may have been Moccasin Bend, although I have lived in Chattanooga almost all of my life and I don't ever remember hearing that. Could be though.

Apparently early on the mascot was a Water Moccasin. When my brother went there in the late 60's the mascot was a little Indian Brave, although I don't remember what costumed mascot they used for sporting events - if any. I still have a commemorative University of Chattanooga Coke bottle somewhere around my house with the Brave paddling a canoe. During the time of Chief Moccanooga, UTC did use the Shoe as a mascot for a short period and it wasn't well received.

Reactions: whm324
Not really man. Tennessee BBQ tends to be mid.
I second this. NC BBQ trumps Tennessee's. I don't care if it's vinegar/pepper based (East North Carolina style), vinegar/tomatoes/red pepper flakes (Lexington style), or Texas style (the dark red/purplish sweet sauce usually found in TN locations). It's just better in my opinion. I really miss Smithfields and especially Backyard BBQ in Cary.

We have great BBQ all over the state of Tennessee and actually the South in general. So hilarious when some publication or TV show declares one state, city or establishment as THE BEST BBQ. I've had awesome BBQ all over....and the tiny little community I grew up in Tennessee has had the same two BBQ joints I KNOW for 67+ years ( I still remember when it was all cooked outside until the health dept make them bring it indoors sometime in the late 70's) and its some of the best. So it's goooooood....all over the south!

VN Store

Back