I"m sure this will get X'd real quick but

The "Moccassins" moniker was a reference to "Moccasin Bend" in the Tennessee River at Chattanooga.
I always was curious.
Someone once tried to tell me they were named after those mossaccin shoes that Indians wore. but I knew better than that, it ain’t even spelled the same.
🤓

Just saying man, I have moved around a lot. As someone else said, the Carolinas are wild with their BBQ. On the opposite end, that trash they serve in Wyoming is the worst I have had.
1.) The Smoking Pig in Clemson SC
2.) Central City BBQ in New Orleans
3.) Wrights BBQ in Little Rock Arkansas
4.) Tender SmokeHouse in Celina Texas
5.) St. Louis BBQ

Best I have had in Tennessee was probably Helen's BBQ. Mid is fine but Tennessee is not rocking the best.

I always was curious.
Someone once tried to tell me they were named after those mossaccin shoes that Indians wore. but I knew better than that, it ain’t even spelled the same.
🤓
Oh they tried to incorporate a moccasin shoe as a mascot once. My sister was a majorette there at the time they introduced it and she said all the students HATED it! She said at one football game, the person who wore the costume took it off and left it on the bleachers and some of the students took it and threw it off the back of the bleachers! Ha!

Just saying man, I have moved around a lot. As someone else said, the Carolinas are wild with their BBQ. On the opposite end, that trash they serve in Wyoming is the worst I have had.
1.) The Smoking Pig in Clemson SC
2.) Central City BBQ in New Orleans
3.) Wrights BBQ in Little Rock Arkansas
4.) Tender SmokeHouse in Celina Texas
5.) St. Louis BBQ

Best I have had in Tennessee was probably Helen's BBQ. Mid is fine but Tennessee is not rocking the best.

I’m glad I got you to respond. Your opinion is as valuable as any. And I’ve heard of The Smoking Pig, but have never tried any of those places (though I want to).

I have a general idea of how BBQ is typically done in some regions, but even within a small area it varies considerably. Like comparing 5 Guys to Buger King across the road. A burger is just a burger, but some people might care a lot more about how it’s enjoyed.

I will say that I don’t like any Kansas City sauce I’ve had. I generally like Carolina Mustard. Alabama white is kind of whatever on its own, but I can mix it with some Memphis style vinegar and it’s just what the doctor ordered.

I’ve never had Rendezvous at the location, so I won’t speak on it. My idea of TN/ Memphis style is whole hog. When they cook it like that, it cooks cooks in its own fat and serves up with some of the best vinegar and pepper sauce around, it’s as savory as anywhere. Especially some masterfully cooked ribs.

When it comes to Texas brisket.. I’d rather have a fillet mignon or a juicy burger if I’m going to eat beef.

With that being said, Scott’s is where I would send anyone I’m trying to convince. There’s nothing fancy about the place, other than the whole hog meat.

I’m glad I got you to respond. Your opinion is as valuable as any. And I’ve heard of The Smoking Pig, but have never tried any of those places (though I want to).

I have a general idea of how BBQ is typically done in some regions, but even within a small area it varies considerably. Like comparing 5 Guys to Buger King across the road. A burger is just a burger, but some people might care a lot more about how it’s enjoyed.

I will say that I don’t like any Kansas City sauce I’ve had. I generally like Carolina Mustard. Alabama white is kind of whatever on its own, but I can mix it with some Memphis style vinegar and it’s just what the doctor ordered.

I’ve never had Rendezvous at the location, so I won’t speak on it. My idea of TN/ Memphis style is whole hog. When they cook it like that, it cooks cooks in its own fat and serves up with some of the best vinegar and pepper sauce around, it’s as savory as anywhere. Especially some masterfully cooked ribs.

When it comes to Texas brisket.. I’d rather have a fillet mignon or a juicy burger if I’m going to eat beef.

With that being said, Scott’s is where I would send anyone I’m trying to convince. There’s nothing fancy about the place, other than the whole hog meat.
That first sentence, you should never mutter that fedora tip sentence again.

Buddy's Barbecue is the best.
Let’s be honest, have any of you ever really had “bad” bbq?
I’ve had bbq that was certainly better than others, but even the absolute worst bbq I ever had, was pretty damn good.
It’s like when someone says, ewww, I don’t like that flavor of ice cream...
62503AA8-1F7F-4C0B-8619-075F212AAAC8.gif

Reactions: coachchia

Filet mignon? An overpriced flavorless cut? You've never had any good smoked brisket. It's the best beef there is.

Scott’s in Lexington?

I believe the same guy owns the BBQ establishment in Jack’s creek.

Reactions: adam.vol
Filet mignon? An overpriced flavorless cut? You've never had any good smoked brisket. It's the best beef there is.

I can add salt and smoke to anything. It’s not over priced because tenderloin is the best cut of meat on any animal.

Well if you get to Nashville you gotta stop by Mary's BBQ Joint..It's off Jefferson Street in North Nashville and has some of the best greens to go with the BBQ..I also love the Peg Leg Porker in The Gulch..It was actually labeled best in the entire state of Tn back in 2023 by Southern Living..The fried pies are awesome there too..It is a bit pricey though....

Let’s be honest, have any of you ever really had “bad” bbq?
I’ve had bbq that was certainly better than others, but even the absolute worst bbq I ever had, was pretty damn good.
It’s like when someone says, ewww, I don’t like that flavor of ice cream...
View attachment 673243

Oh I've said that a time or two! Sherbet is rancid! It tastes like perfume to me (and this also goes for Skittles)! Also any coffee-based ice cream is gross to me.

Ughhhhh...Just take me to Woodridge!
If that is in reference to the mental health facility in upper East Tennessee then, I have to agree. Ridgewood BBQ is not the best but their beans and slaw are pretty good.

Last edited:
Is it Swan we are talking about? If so, that’s why I don’t listen. Too much filler. Not enough sports

I can add salt and smoke to anything. It’s not over priced because tenderloin is the best cut of meat on any animal.
It certainly is the costliest, but as far as taste is concerned a reverse seared Ribeye or tomahawk is so much better. IMHO.

No, they are not the Mockingbirds. They are still the Moccasins, (named after Moccasin Bend, NOT the shoe). The mockingbird is just the mascot.
I tried to explain that to folks Saturday morning. Because I have literally lived in/on Moccassin Bend over a year of my life,I believe I have qualifications in which few of my fellow VN posters can claim. Also I can assure you if you had any family that was mentally ill and ever had a trip to Moccassin Bend you would have a very different feel for the word Moccassin and you would notice the usage and context. My Nanny Webb was in Moccassin Bend - oh it DOES have 2 S Mr spelling check!- in 87 when I was 7. I was there for the first of my 8 trips on 1/8/ 93 at age 12. Funny story for y'all: I was from Jimtown. I was raised by the grandkids of Confederate Vets and they would use racial slurs in private. So I was isolated from the African Descent folks and had been taught that they were bad. I was put in the Bend and the staff and the other kids are all African Descent except for 1 staff and 1 other kid. So I was just shaking with fear and crying. It gets 8 and I was talking to my mom on the phone for 5 minutes and a black woman yelled hang it up and get yo ass in that shower,boy! I started crying violently and made my way to the shower and walk in to see the most terrifying thing I could have seen at this age. The eldest black kid was playing that "stroke" song and when he saw me,he was very startled and he only ever said" QUIT" and he would only say that if he was very upset. Well I immediately ran out of the shower room and told the staff there's no shower for me and his under the bedsheets and cried myself to sleep. Go Vols!

I’ve never seen anyone smoke a brisket without dumping a fortune in seasoning. Talk about POS cut..
Salt and Pepper, garlic and onion powder does not a fortune cost. Just saying. Point being that the real flavor of beef comes from the fat content in the meat and filet, unless bacon wrapped has very little.

Reactions: adam.vol
Salt and Pepper, garlic and onion powder does not a fortune cost. Just saying. Point being that the real flavor of beef comes from the fat content in the meat and filet, unless bacon wrapped has very little.

How little salt and garlic can you use and still get it to cook through? I know tenderloin doesn’t have as much natural flavor as other cuts, but tenderness is more important to me.

People who slather dry rub or sauce and soak it in juice spend some time and money. Yeah, brisket and butts can be very good, but it takes a lot more work and I’m not doing that on a work night. And it’s hard to eat a whole brisket fresh off the fire. Reheated meat gets dryer every time.

Reactions: utchs81

VN Store

Back