I stand before you to take my lashings...

daj2576

@aVolForLife
For those of you who know me or have followed my talent evaluation threads, you also know that I was one of the few who was trying to illustrate that the UT v. Oregon game, based on those evaluations, would be a close game.

Tie me up and give me my lashings. I was wrong.

Last night was an "aha!" moment for me.

I went back over some of these predictions and came to another interesting conclusion: talent can be used to predict outcomes of games (I am running about 70% this year) but it is an awful indication of score differential.

Scores seem to be distributed wildly all over the board, with some teams who have a great talent disparity having very close games, and some teams who are evenly matched having blow-out games. The bottom line remains that talent CAN be used to predict the outcome of games but that predicting the score, or score differential, using only those ratings is inconclusive.

The question I have is this: why does score matter? In predicting a win loss rate across seasons, it doesn't. Huge score differentials have never helped Oregon win a national championship any more than squeaking past Arkansas (a far inferior team talent wise) didn't keep UT from winning one in 1998.

Basically scores are good for gamblers and to make fans feel really good, or really bad, about their team.

Think about last year for a minute. Georgia beats Vanderbilt 48-3 in a blow out. Georgia beats UT 51-44 in a shoot out. If you try to use scores to see how good a team is based on performance against a common opponent you could conclude that if Georgia beats Vanderbilt by 45 and UT by 7, then UT is better than Vanderbilt by 38, right? That is if scores matter like the way we are trying to say they do after yesterday.

Wrong. Vandy beats UT 41-18. That is a 68 point swing from thinking UT is 38 points better to losing by 23.

The talent predictions in those games were right, viewed only through the W or the L, 2 out of 3 times. Shocker!

Even with evenly matched talent (on paper) I had to give the W to Oregon yesterday based solely off of the fact that Oregon is playing at home (another quantifiable predictor in games). So we lost to Oregon, that was predicted by most.

It doesn't matter what the score was, it really doesn't. It only counts for 1 loss. If we had beat Oregon by 100 it would only count for 1 win, and honestly has no bearing on any other game down the pipe.

Next week we play a Florida team that is having some struggles but is still, on paper, an enormously talented team. It has to be counted in the L category, but that shouldn't create a panic. I will admit that UT has been a huge talent under-performer in recent years (-4 games or so a year) so either UT is singularly exempt from talent evaluations that predict almost 70% of the other games, or the triumvirate of Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooley could not utilize the talent that they had.

If it makes you feel better, both Dooley and Kiffin have a history at other schools of consistently under utilizing talent. It should make you feel better that Jones has never dropped below the talent predicted rate of his teams, even when he went 4-8 at Cincinnati.

Here is how talent should predict the remainder of the UT season. That is operating off of the presumption that Jones continues his historical ability of simply winning the games that talent predicts he should win. Note that in year two and three at Cincy, Jones over-performed by 3 wins a year while increasing the recruiting averages.

Now get to whippin' and Go Vols!

Attachments

• UT2013season.jpg
    UT2013season.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 6 people
Your thoughts are all well intended, but we lost yesterday for one simple reason: I just realized I forgot to wear my lucky boxers. Sorry to let everyone down.

Reactions: 14 people
For those of you who know me or have followed my talent evaluation threads, you also know that I was one of the few who was trying to illustrate that the UT v. Oregon game, based on those evaluations, would be a close game.

Tie me up and give me my lashings. I was wrong.

Last night was an "aha!" moment for me.

I went back over some of these predictions and came to another interesting conclusion: talent can be used to predict outcomes of games (I am running about 70% this year) but it is an awful indication of score differential.

You've been doing this long enough, and you've put enough time into this that you know there are a ton of variables. One important caveat is offensive system. Oregon stands chance in any game where their talent is outmatched, simply because of a system. Same can be said for a Bobby Petrino or Urban Meyer-coached team. I would use your analysis to predict ANY game that doesn't involve a successful, unique offensive system. :good!:

Your thoughts are all well intended, but we lost yesterday for one simple reason: I just realized I forgot to wear my lucky boxers. Sorry to let everyone down.

Actually I think it is because the band didn't travel.

The first time I ever recall the band not travelling with the team was against Arkansas a few years ago, and it was an even uglier game to watch.

I have concluded that the band MUST travel to all away games from here on out.

Reactions: 1 person
You've been doing this long enough, and you've put enough time into this that you know there are a ton of variables. One important caveat is offensive system. Oregon stands chance in any game where their talent is outmatched, simply because of a system. Same can be said for a Bobby Petrino or Urban Meyer-coached team. I would use your analysis to predict ANY game that doesn't involve a successful, unique offensive system. :good!:

I actually agree that scheme is an indicator of success, but that still falls within the 30% of games that talent do not predict.

If you look at Oregon's season last year, talent predicted that they should win 12 games, they won 12 games. That's actually pretty historically accurate for them.

The thing that I am having trouble grappling with is how to quantify what appears to be the reality: Oregon's talent still predicts their success, but their system inflates the scores.

Last edited:
Thanks for this post, daj.

I would be somewhat skeptical of the talent ratings in Year 1, though. For instance, should we really be predicted to beat South Carolina? Maybe we're close talent-wise, but they've had a lot more continuity in staff, style, etc.

One thing I realized watching Oregon is that most of those guys have had 3-5 years to perfect that (somewhat complicated) system. If Mark Helfrich took over a new team and immediately implemented that system, I don't think he would've gotten the same results as yesterday, even if that team were one of the more talented ones in the nation. (See his first year as OC for Colorado for example where he went 2-10.)

Last edited:
Actually I think it is because the band didn't travel.

The first time I ever recall the band not travelling with the team was against Arkansas a few years ago, and it was an even uglier game to watch.

I have concluded that the band MUST travel to all away games from here on out.

It was actually really strange they didn't have the band. Didn't seem right at all.

We didn't lose because of talent differential Imo... We lost because we run a scheme that can't possibly be successful with this personnel. We need a running qb

Are you taking into account attrition? We've lost so many in the past few years I think our recruiting average would be very low.

Reactions: 4 people
My fellow Vol fans - it is a simple thing - Butch is doing the right things (evidenced by recruiting, fewer turnovers, penalties) but the talent remains what it is this year, and this game had even less talent than usual (due to injuries, suspensions, etc).

The same factors that caused anyone with a brain to realize it would take the Vols a near miracle to reach 7-5 this year, understand that that is still so.

I don't gamble but have realized when Vegas throws out 4td beatdown spreads. Don't expect upsets very often as too many of their people research your teams the teams they play and teams opponents play. As well as long coast to coast travels, styles of play, injuries, how teams fair in venues and lots more statistical data common fans don't have time to research. Point being in huge spreads are scary accurate percentage wise. So in our games case had little expectations but high hopes if that makes sense. Lol

Let's see how we are doing at the end of the 2015 season........depending on where the program is we either keep Jones or we get someone else. Just good business....

We didn't lose because of talent differential Imo... We lost because we run a scheme that can't possibly be successful with this personnel. We need a running qb

Whether we were in flexbone, wishbone, read option, run n shoot, Wing T, spread, etc, we were going to get housed yesterday. They're just better than us....by a lot.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for this post, daj.

I would be somewhat skeptical of the talent ratings in Year 1, though. For instance, should we really be predicted to beat South Carolina? Maybe we're close talent-wise, but they've had a lot more continuity in staff, style, etc.

One thing I realized watching Oregon is that most of those guys have had 3-5 years to perfect that (somewhat complicated) system. If Mark Helfrich took over a new team and immediately implemented that system, I don't think he would've gotten the same results as yesterday, even if that team were one of the more talented ones in the nation. (See his first year as OC for Colorado for example where he went 2-10.)

Dealing with UT the past few years and these evaluations has made me very skeptical of my own findings. UT is one of the few teams who has not been travelling along a very predictable arc. I think that some of that has to do with two coaches who have a vast history of under performing with talent.

I don't want to massage the numbers when I present them to you. Do I think UT beats SCAR? I am scared to death of that game, but we have a one game window to still make it to a bowl game. The games below SCAR are all very winnable as the talent gap is too great.

After the spring game I ran some numbers to account for attrition and viewed the published rosters by star ratings. I came up with this for the SEC east.

Attachments

• SEC east evaluations accounting for attrition.jpg
    SEC east evaluations accounting for attrition.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Laugh at me if you want. I don't care. I still believe Oregon could beat Alabama. Any day of the week. Entirely too much speed. I have found out that speed will beat size any day.

Then u adjust ur scheme to maximize your talent .. if they shove this system down this teams thoart cbj is rich rod take 2.. he will not get 4 yrs losing like he lost yesterday.. if they don't find a way to score u r going to have several blow outs n im sorry if u expect me to take 3 years of beat downs from bama n Fla to give him time for his players..

He will get time but we have to see improvement n sat we saw zero improvement from last year..

Laugh at me if you want. I don't care. I still believe Oregon could beat Alabama. Any day of the week. Entirely too much speed. I have found out that speed will beat size any day.

I think Alabama/Oregon would be a great game. I think Bama plays the right kind of offense to slow Oregon down though.

I don't disagree, this year anyway.

I have this odd feeling that you will see an Ohio State and Oregon title game this year, with Oregon finally taking home the crystal ball. It just makes too much sense from a media standpoint. There is push-back against the SEC, and an OSU/Oregon match up would bring in all parts of the country to watch.

Then u adjust ur scheme to maximize your talent .. if they shove this system down this teams thoart cbj is rich rod take 2.. he will not get 4 yrs losing like he lost yesterday.. if they don't find a way to score u r going to have several blow outs n im sorry if u expect me to take 3 years of beat downs from bama n Fla to give him time for his players..

He will get time but we have to see improvement n sat we saw zero improvement from last year..

I can't try to justify what happened yesterday but put somethings in perspective.

Last year we gave up 721 total yards to Troy. TROY!
Say that again to yourself, TROY!

Yesterday we gave up 687 yards to Oregon. Oregon's third or fourth stringers are better than anything Troy could have put on the field, and is probably the most explosive offense ever to take a college football field, yet you act like the defense isn't showing some improvement?

It isn't like in the third or fourth quarter Oregon put fans on the field and just had them sit in a drum circle, they put back ups in and continued to run their system.

We are a disciplined football team, even in a very hostile environment we only had 4 penalties for 40 yards. Usually when teams are very out matched and out gunned (and getting the score run up on them) a lack of discipline will show. That didn't happen.

At this point last year we had 21 penalties for 151 yards. This year we have 6 for 57 yards. That in itself is telling.

I didn't see the guys quit on the coach, and I saw that last year a few times with our players (think about Missouri, Florida and Vandy games, or Kentucky the year before as an example).

We got whipped and they kept playing. I see improvement...

Daj, I always enjoy reading your posts and I personally believe in the 'Moneyball' approach as a numbers man myself. Though attrition works out somewhat evenly over a certain amount of time, UT falls outside of the bell curve when you consider their attrition over the last few years - simply an anomaly.

Also, there's that thing called momentum - either negative or positive. Turnovers produce it (e.g., WKU). The other team breaking several long runs and passes into the endzone so you're down almost 5 TD's at half produces it(UO). This is the kind of thing that happens on occasion that upsets all the talent numbers.

Finally, game breakers: Having a Mariota and Thomas on the same team is hard to beat. Had we had those 2 players on our team, I could see the tables turned yesterday... and that's only 2 players out of 85! Oregon matches up well with UT talent wise (with the exeption of some game breakers) but their system of play has been ingrained into them over the last decade while our guys are adjusting to yet another new coaching staff.

VN Store

Back