I think Butch tipped his hand...

ShoalCreekVol

...on the QB situation this week. He may say that it's open and Worley has an equal shot at being the man vs Florida, but I think he's already made decisions that rule that out - or at least make it highly unlikely. I'm basing my suspicion (not fact) on this:

“Well, first of all it’s been challenging at the quarterback position just because we haven’t had any big splash plays. I’d like to see Justin (Worley) settle in a little bit more and a little more aggressive. I thought the play that he had on the touchdown pass to Jason Croom, I thought he stepped back, he was assertive, he set his feet, he demanded command in the pocket, and he was confident and he threw the ball over there and he was accurate. We need him to attack more, but just like any position in our program, it’s open. Whatever quarterback has the best week of practice is going to be the starter for Tennessee when we play Florida. If that means a freshman quarterback, that means a freshman quarterback. We’ll have more quarterback run in to our package this week. We just need to find ways to generate big explosive plays and if that’s Josh Dobbs running the read option or Riley Ferguson, that’s what we’ll do to create big plays. That’s going to be our focus and preparation this week.”

I just don't think there's any way you say that and then roll Worley back out there. I might think he'll start Worley and send in others on occasional plays to run the whatever-gun but we've seen that design plays like that don't fare well against SEC defenses. And this whole thing really only works overall if we have the threat of those explosive plays happening anytime, and the whole world has seen that there is about 1% threat of a big explosive play with Worley. That's not knocking Worley, it's just acknowledging that's who he is. He's a game manager, protect the football while you're handing it off kinda guy. When he went back on the "don't have to look over his shoulder" policy and added the QB-run plans into the mix, I think he pretty much just announced that we're about to see a freshman QB get his first start in The Dump.

Thoughts....

Good point. I don't think CBJ wants to destroy Worley by coming out and saying he's done, next!

If any of these guys step up this week, who knows??? My money is on Peterman though.

...on the QB situation this week. He may say that it's open and Worley has an equal shot at being the man vs Florida, but I think he's already made decisions that rule that out - or at least make it highly unlikely. I'm basing my suspicion (not fact) on this:

“Well, first of all it’s been challenging at the quarterback position just because we haven’t had any big splash plays. I’d like to see Justin (Worley) settle in a little bit more and a little more aggressive. I thought the play that he had on the touchdown pass to Jason Croom, I thought he stepped back, he was assertive, he set his feet, he demanded command in the pocket, and he was confident and he threw the ball over there and he was accurate. We need him to attack more, but just like any position in our program, it’s open. Whatever quarterback has the best week of practice is going to be the starter for Tennessee when we play Florida. If that means a freshman quarterback, that means a freshman quarterback. We’ll have more quarterback run in to our package this week. We just need to find ways to generate big explosive plays and if that’s Josh Dobbs running the read option or Riley Ferguson, that’s what we’ll do to create big plays. That’s going to be our focus and preparation this week.”

I just don't think there's any way you say that and then roll Worley back out there. I might think he'll start Worley and send in others on occasional plays to run the whatever-gun but we've seen that design plays like that don't fare well against SEC defenses. And this whole thing really only works overall if we have the threat of those explosive plays happening anytime, and the whole world has seen that there is about 1% threat of a big explosive play with Worley. That's not knocking Worley, it's just acknowledging that's who he is. He's a game manager, protect the football while you're handing it off kinda guy. When he went back on the "don't have to look over his shoulder" policy and added the QB-run plans into the mix, I think he pretty much just announced that we're about to see a freshman QB get his first start in The Dump.

Thoughts....

Since you asked my thoughts are, "be careful what you wish for when it comes to starting a freshman QB in The Swamp." IMHO

Reactions: 17 people
Yeah I believe he will give Peterman a good look also. He made it a point to talk about how Peterman is alway first to practice and is always in the film room. So don't count Peterman out. I think his athletic ability and ability to throw will add another dimension to the game. He is also big

Reactions: 2 people
Worley will make remarkable progress in practice this week.

Not that I prefer him over the others but that's how I see it playing out. jmo

My only thing is why would you go public and say its reopen, if your just gonna march Worley back out there. It's just stupid. I hope fergs steps up!

Reactions: 2 people
Good point. I don't think CBJ wants to destroy Worley by coming out and saying he's done, next!

If any of these guys step up this week, who knows??? My money is on Peterman though.

Worley will start the game. Then once the game is out of hand, he will insert a freshman. Worley will lose his job. At the seasons end, Worley will announce that he will transfer to Furman or some other smaller college in the state of South Carolina.

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah I believe he will give Peterman a good look also. He made it a point to talk about how Peterman is alway first to practice and is always in the film room. So don't count Peterman out. I think his athletic ability and ability to throw will add another dimension to the game. He is also big

A freshman won't start at Florida, Worley will start but Worley will not finish the game. Once the game is out of hand, he will be replaced by a freshman. However; one will be the starter going in to the South Ala bam game.

Look, what does Coach J have to loose reguardless of who herolls out there at quarterback. We are a decisive underdog and yes going to the swamp , which will make it harder to keep from getting rattled. But, this could make large strides in moving toward what we really want to do as an offense. I say take the opportunity to get our young more talented Qbs a good look. It may end up in a loss, but maybe we can improve on being more agressive and make those big plays.

I'm not sure having either freshman, who have never played in a college game start their college career on the road in the Swamp against one of the SEC's toughest defenses is a very good idea. But then again, I don't get paid 3 million a year to make that decision.

Reactions: 3 people
My only thing is why would you go public and say its reopen, if your just gonna march Worley back out there. It's just stupid. I hope fergs steps up!

To reignite the competitive fire under all of our quarterbacks and, in the process, bring out the very best in each of them. This could become the short-term status quo (i.e. "whoever has the best week of practice . . .") before Peterman or one of the freshmen eventually seizes the position and runs with it later in the season. Only time will tell.

I'm not saying Peterman is to be left out of this. Who ever is our QB(s) that plays Saturday, just needs to be more agressive while being able being level headed and at least make their LBs respect the QB running ability.

Frosh should have played before now IMO. Ya know, in the 2 blowouts we had prior to Oregon. But going forward, whichever QB comes out of the swamp, even with a loss, will be a MAN. That's some brutal s*** to ask an 18-19 year old to do in his FIRST game.

Gotta feel bad for Worley but man isn't it an exciting time for Dobbs, Feruson, and Peterman. They get to go into practice this week with new life for a chance to play in a great rivalry.

Give the ball to Rocketman (Dobbs) and lets run some option. Floridas D is stout we need to do something different than run, run, pass,
punt

Frosh should have played before now IMO. Ya know, in the 2 blowouts we had prior to Oregon. But going forward, whichever QB comes out of the swamp, even with a loss, will be a MAN. That's some brutal s*** to ask an 18-19 year old to do in his FIRST game.

I agree but this is why you play for Tennessee. To go into a hostile environment like Ben Hill Griffin full of loud fans who hate your guts and play your ass off. Heck of an opportunity for one of the young guys.

Yesterday's comments were used exactly the same way CBJ used the talk about the wild cat during the WKU week.

IMO all that was said just to force florida to prepare for more and plans to play JW.

Reactions: 5 people
Yesterday's comments were used exactly the same way CBJ used the talk about the wild cat during the WKU week.

IMO all that was said just to force florida to prepare for more and plans to play JW.

You beat me to it. Hopefully, a lot of the QB talk is about throwing Florida preparations off. Spurier and others do this all the time. Keep your opponent always guessing.

I just hope we have more than 2 running plays against Fla. The running plays I have seen so far are not fooling anyone. Not even VN and the so called best OL in the SEC is not doing their job either.

Peterman will get a shot at starter before they burn a redshirt IMO.

Agreed. Looks as if Jones has set the stage for Peterman to get his on-field audition. According to an article I read, Dobbs has been working with the scout team. That doesn't rule him out but does suggest he's 4th.

I find it very unlikely that either true Fr gets a trial by fire in the Swamp barring two injuries.

I think Worley starts this weekend, with Peterman getting some playing time, with an eye towards Peterman being the primary QB vs. South Alabama.

IMO, one of the freshmen has to be extraordinary this week for one of them to get playing time soon. I think CBJ is going to have to see something really special to use on of their years of eligibility.

VN Store

Back