If Tennessee defeats Oklahoma….

It's about equal IMO.

'22: Ball St, #17/14 Pitt, Akron, #20/22 FL.

'24: Chatt, #24/23 NCSU, Kent St, #15/13 OK
So after 4 games you would declare the 24 team better than the 22 team and the best since 01? We know how the 22 season ended yet have no clue how the 24 one will end not do we know if OU is any good

Reactions: Rocky Top T
By the same token, you had no idea if the '22 team would "beat anyone that matters"...not that I'd expect you to get that part.
Except I know exactly how that season unfolded. They were likely the best team since 01 and there's no way to say 24 is better simply if they beat OU

Except I know exactly how that season unfolded. They were likely the best team since 01 and there's no way to say 23 is better simply if they beat OU
Well no chit lol. Although the 2007 team played in the SECCG.

Didn't realize we played OU in '23. Must have missed that game.

Is it fair to say this team is the best the Vols have had since 2001 or is it too early still?

Side note - Pat Summitt is the best women’s basketball coach of all time, was good enough to be a men’s coach, and could easily have coached in the NBA. She left the world way too early.
You are your record.

We won't know if the 2024 Vols are the best since 2022, much less, 2001, until near the end of the season.

But so far, so good.

Go Vols!

2022 was 11-2 and beat Alabama, LSU, & Clemson in the Orange Bowl.

2016 started 5-0, beating Florida, Georgia, and Virginia Tech.

2007 won the East & lost to eventual NC LSU in the SECCG.

2003 & 2004 also won the East.

If Tennessee beats OU, there is a chance it’ll be the best team since 2001, but it’s hardly done enough to claim that just by beating this OU team.
That 2003 team won at Alabama, Florida, and Miami.

To early to tell. I’m not sold on the defense or Nico yet. This week will be Nico’s first real test on the road. I no doubt think he will be great, it’s just a question of how early. Our defensive and offensive lines have yet to be challenged by a legit front. In my eyes after this weekend we have a better idea of whether we are just a playoff team or a true contender team.

Is it fair to say this team is the best the Vols have had since 2001 or is it too early still?

Side note - Pat Summitt is the best women’s basketball coach of all time, was good enough to be a men’s coach, and could easily have coached in the NBA. She left the world way too early.
Hey does Kansas dust still blow thru one day and the next day it blows back thru coming up from Texas:)

Too early to tell…if NCS throttles Clemson then that win for us will be more impressive. Likewise, beating Oklahoma at their place is alway a great thing but is this a 10-2 Oklahoma to a 7-5? No one reallyknow yet.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
To me, NO! They got to beat all three or two of the three of the following first. Bama, Ga, and Fla. Cause to me, OU is basically TAMU or USCe.

This doesn’t make sense. The question is…is this the best Vols team since 2001?

How many times since 2001 did we beat all three of those teams since 2001? And what was the final record?

As for the question, it is too early until we see the season results. But there is no doubt that this team is in consideration. So far, it looks the part.

Too early to tell.

Too soon.

If they happened to trounce OU maybe that makes it clear they are on par with 22. A close win and the jury is still out.

Huh? How would trouncing #15 Oklahoma put them on par with 2022? If you haven't heard the 2024 Vols have the greatest point differential in SEC history through 3 games. If we blow out Oklahoma that doesn’t just make us WAY BETTER than the 2022 team. It puts us one pace to become one of the best teams in SEC history.

This team is way better than 2022. And I would argue they're even better than the 1998 team let alone 2001 or any other Vols team in recent memory.

Looking good so far, but can’t tell yet. We have to get a few road W’s, mop the floor with Florida and play with Bama before we could say they’re significantly better than 2 years ago.

Too early to tell…if NCS throttles Clemson then that win for us will be more impressive. Likewise, beating Oklahoma at their place is alway a great thing but is this a 10-2 Oklahoma to a 7-5? No one reallyknow yet.
I agree, if we go into Norman and handle business that shouldn’t be looked at as any small victory. That’s a big win in what will be a very tough environment.
State is 20.5 point dog at Clemson this weekend. It would be very helpful for us if they somehow won at Death Valley, but that seems pretty unlikely. OU w/ that Texas schedule could be a 2 loss team, but their schedule is brutal.
All we can do is win the next one.

Huh? How would trouncing #15 Oklahoma put them on par with 2022? If you haven't heard the 2024 Vols have the greatest point differential in SEC history through 3 games. If we blow out Oklahoma that doesn’t just make us WAY BETTER than the 2022 team. It puts us one pace to become one of the best teams in SEC history.

This team is way better than 2022. And I would argue they're even better than the 1998 team let alone 2001 or any other Vols team in recent memory.
I’ll have what your having!

I do think we have a special team too but we won’t know for certain until we play a more proven opponent.

I don’t think we know how good or bad Oklahoma is yet. Same with our previous 3 opponents.

Just you wait. After we beat Oklahoma Saturday this place will be bummed out because yall sucked. After every win the team we played sucked.

We always gonna have to wait until we actually play somebody, then after we lose, we suck.

Vicious circle.

after losing to South Carolina in 2022 which was a for sure win for us to put us in the top 4 playoffs, I don't assume anything anymore

VN Store

Back