Injuries Oline

O Line depth. Until we get back to full scholarship strength and can recruit more, it's going to be the shortcoming of this team.
Looking at the number of freshmen and sophomore OL (15) and the current recruiting class (4), it looks like the issue has been addressed, especially considering that one of the new recruits may very well start next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up a couple of serviceable OL (maybe a C and OT) from the portal to add even more depth.

Are O-line injuries minor? Will they be back for Arkansas? How about Boo?
Tbh, we aren’t quite as deep as some other teams at a couple positions and it worries me. The Oline and secondary are quite thin compared to the National contenders. I rlly think it’ll take Tn a couple steps to get to the top of the mtn. Making a national playoff berth would be huge for us tho.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
There will be no news…until Wednesday week from now. This is the Way.
Probably day to day on both in any case. Got a bye week for the big fellows to get healthy. Would like to really have Heard back by Florida at worst. Get some snaps before Bama comes to town. Davis is a good kid but every time he’s out there it’s a chance that Nico gets blasted from the blind side. That could up end our season even in a game like Arkansas.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The lack of depth is disturbing especially since we lose 6 seniors and 4 starters after this season. I get that OL is a developmental position, but we really need guys like Grant, Reddick, Bussell, Umarov, and Lang to step up. The rest of the bunch are basically freshmen.

I can only speak to RUMOR flying around over the weekend is that his agent doesn't want him playing unless he's 100%.
I dismissed it as just that, RUMOR, but then have found it was some of the same with his time at LSU as well.

That said, it's all RUMOR and I really don't see Heupel and Company bringing him in if that was the case at LSU.

FWIW - in the preseason, a lot of folks had the Defensive secondary listed as the number issue to overcome during the season. I have always said it's the O Line depth. Until we get back to full scholarship strength and can recruit more, it's going to be the shortcoming of this team.
they have to recruit better there. end of story

The lack of depth is disturbing especially since we lose 6 seniors and 4 starters after this season. I get that OL is a developmental position, but we really need guys like Grant, Reddick, Bussell, Umarov, and Lang to step up. The rest of the bunch are basically freshmen.
I’m pretty sure none of Elarbee’s recruits are regular contributors. Pretty alarming in year 4. All of our contributors are either Pruitt recruits or transfers. Maybe he’s just not good at evaluating HS talent 🤷🏻‍♂️

The guys he’s had who can play seem to do well under him.. Wright, Campbell, Mays, Spraggins… Crawford didn’t get drafted but I’d say he performed up to his ability as a Vol.

My guess would be, he felt the ankle would limit how well he could play against a very good DL. He might not want bad play on tape... speculation
Any insight on what the recurring issue is with Campbell's knee? New issue from camp or early games? Seems like they are trying to manage it, but his knee is not cooperating.

Any insight on what the recurring issue is with Campbell's knee? New issue from camp or early games? Seems like they are trying to manage it, but his knee is not cooperating.

someone says he has bursitis and the only help is rest and treatment. I'm still concerned it may be more than that.

I've had bursitis issues in my hip for 20 years. Flares when I walk very much but especially if on inclines up or down. Have had shots over the years that help sometimes for a short period and other times no help. It can be quite painful.

Hubbs on VQ just said it will remain a problem all year. Just hope not enough to shut him down.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There's a couple of ways to look at that. In other words, Arkansas may actually be the bigger game, because if we lose to them, our chance at making the playoffs goes down significantly.
I agree sorta, no way we loose to Arky. With healthy o and d lines we whip Bama

Reactions: walkenvol
someone says he has bursitis and the only help is rest and treatment. I'm still concerned it may be more than that.

I've had bursitis issues in my hip for 20 years. Flares when I walk very much but especially if on inclines up or down. Have had shots over the years that help sometimes for a short period and other times no help. It can be quite painful.

Hubbs on VQ just said it will remain a problem all year. Just hope not enough to shut him down.
Appreciate the insight. Bursitis on the knee can be pesky as you say. You have to be super-conservative (rest,etc) or aggressive (open it and drain it) to manage definitively. Both options require downtime. Anything in between, you’re kind of chasing your tail. Sounds like they’re doing the best they can and he’s gutting it out. Can’t be fun for the kid.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Somebody help me out here. We have been lacking quality OL depth since 2013. How is this possible with the way we have been recruiting on the OL??? How? Why is it that every stinking year we same the same thing about OL depth regardless of who the coach is?
Same thing with my Titans too. O-Line has been an issue for years. I'ts a Tennessee thing I suppose

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

Didn't we have a lineman who played with and MCL issue? Pretty sure it was his senior season and he didn't have an NFL future so he played with it.

I’m pretty sure none of Elarbee’s recruits are regular contributors. Pretty alarming in year 4. All of our contributors are either Pruitt recruits or transfers. Maybe he’s just not good at evaluating HS talent 🤷🏻‍♂️

The guys he’s had who can play seem to do well under him.. Wright, Campbell, Mays, Spraggins… Crawford didn’t get drafted but I’d say he performed up to his ability as a Vol.
That may be correct, but he has stepped up recruiting results. Albeit will lose Utu in 25 class.

Seem content to go to portal for 1/2 year guys. I'm sure we have a ton of NIL tied up in Mays, et al.

Landing three and four four/five star guys, and then adding two projects is the reason we are where we're at. Yes, Johnson played ok. Same for Davis, frankly we're far off better with Dayne than without.

Issue ive got is it should never gotten to that point. There was a whole year without getting a top flight tackle developed. Key misses (one to Miami, one to Colorado), is hurting.

One of only knocks on this staff was fishing in deep water with a spinning rod. You gotta have a big, wide net.

Did better in '25 and '24, than 23. But that doesnt help us now. Additionally, we may only bring in 3-4 guys in '25. With schollie increases we could take a chance on a few guys.

Reactions: bpalmer28

So we've moved from Martinez to Elarbee? Is there any sunshine in your life.

So we've moved from Martinez to Elarbee? Is there any sunshine in your life.
I’ll give you $50 if you can find a post of me being critical of Martinez. I also did not say Elarbee is a bad coach or should be fired. I actually complimented in the post you quoted. Keep pretending like you’re a ray of sunshine and the rest of the world is being negative though.

VN Store

Back