Insecurity on VN

DaRick was Dooley's first 5* recruit.......what other 5*s signed with UT because of that? Did USCe get a slew of 5*s after Clowney signed?

David Ricky was a last minute commit - Signing day if I remember.

How do you think Ole miss did so well last year?

one other thing to look at is you are pointing out single players while my post was more about the overall class ranking - one 5* guy won't be that catalyst.

There's a difference in classes ranked #1 and #30. But do you want to attempt to convince me that there's a discernible difference between the #3 and #6 ranked class in terms of eventual results on the field? If you think there is, then I'm afraid you're the one who doesn't know how college football works.

Yeah, there is a difference. Go look up the teams that have had that 3rd class repeatedly over time versus the teams that have had the 6th class. The on field results reflect the disparity, more often than not.

Yep.

Not a "true" stargazer myself but I do like seeing #1 and Tennessee sitting beside each other. Recruits dang sure notice too.

Same here - While I look at the rankings to help establish a base line they are not the end all, be all in evaluating talent.

Recruits notice and talk about it - no matter if you're a stargazer or not the positive spin you receive as being at the top is worth the whining to get a player rated higher.

Reactions: 1 person
I understand how the hype and respect machine works in this day and age so it IS important for all the reasons many on here have already pointed out.

Personally, I couldn't care less about stars and recruiting class rankings.

I only care that our Vols WIN and are consistently in the SEC East and SEC Championship race which IS what it's going to take to bring another crystal football back to the hill.

Stars and recruiting class rankings ARE important to the kids though and they DO want all they can get from their college days.

Bigger bowl means a bigger, more expensive bag of goodies that each player gets for playing in that specific bowl game and a Championship ring IS important to alot of the kids which is why Winning brings in better recruits and more consistant winning.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Stars are a good starting point, but the offer list a kid has seems to be an even better indicator than stars.

Hurd had offers from everybody of consequence and that is all I really need to know!

JMO.

Someone help me out. Why is it so critical that Rivals bump Hurd to a 5*? Why should we care? Those that have followed him know how good he is and making him a 5* doesn't change that one bit. Some of you will say that bumping him up will give our class a higher ranking....So? Again, who cares what the final ranking is? The staff that offers these kids know they can play and they are being offered by other top programs. So why are so many desperate for Rivals to like our recruits as much as we do? Its kinda embarrassing imo.

I'm sure he wants that 5th star. Shouldn't that be reason enough for us to want it for him?

Also, It would increase our team rating.

And anyone who says they don't care where that rank is come February is a liar. They don't care when it is convenient for their agenda. When Dooleys recruiting was slipping, the anti Doolers were pointing at the rating, the Dooladers were saying it doesn't matter. If it were high, that would have just been vice versa

Where they are ranked when they come in is nowhere near as important as how they rank when they leave.IMO

Yeah, there is a difference. Go look up the teams that have had that 3rd class repeatedly over time versus the teams that have had the 6th class. The on field results reflect the disparity, more often than not.

2008 - #3 ranked class was UF, #6 was Oklahoma
2009 - #3 OSU, #6 UGA
2010 - #3 Texas, #6 LSU
2011 - #3 Texas, #6 LSU
2012 - #3 UF, #6 FSU

Not a lot of difference, bro.

Reactions: 2 people
Because the players CARE

Kameel Jackson ‏@Kameeljackson4

Rivals please come evaluate me. Thank you. /Sincerely, your friend Kameel.

Kameel Jackson ‏@Kameeljackson4
Dear Rivals, you missed 2 stars.
Sincerely, your arch enemy Kameel.

And that's that on that.

star-wars-intro-o.gif

Someone help me out. Why is it so critical that Rivals bump Hurd to a 5*? Why should we care? Those that have followed him know how good he is and making him a 5* doesn't change that one bit. Some of you will say that bumping him up will give our class a higher ranking....So? Again, who cares what the final ranking is? The staff that offers these kids know they can play and they are being offered by other top programs. So why are so many desperate for Rivals to like our recruits as much as we do? Its kinda embarrassing imo.

Fade, to me personally, I don't care what he or any of the others are ranked. But the reason why it would be a good thing is for public perception. National recognition. These things can play a role in initiating momentum in our direction. Kids see our rank high, they will pay closer attention to us. We don't exactly have any recent championships to hang our hats on. So any kind of positivity surrounding our program is monumental at this point.

By the way, Fade, did you see our Sox last night?

It is actually important. Like the old expression says "Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd." The more these recruits see that 5 stars are going to Tennessee the more 5 stars look at Tennessee.

If you see a school like Virginia landing a 5 star doesn't it turn heads? It makes you relevant and college football is all about relevance. In other words, if you think we are a big deal than we we ARE a big deal.

Well said, and spot on. :rock:

The same conversations are happening on other message boards about other teams' recruits. This stuff is the same almost everywhere.

Not trolling, it makes sense, it is kind of embarassing, but I think not many of us know how to react to being #1 to anything in football since it hasn't happened in years. We will get it figured out, but hey, if the only negative is we are having too much fun with success then its a good day my friend. Much better than this site was at this time last year. holy hell it was bad then.

VN Store

Back