Iowa Held Michigan to 213 yards of offense.

Iowa has a very stout run defense...that concerns me because it puts it on Joe and the WRs to take over the game.
The problem is comparing normal running games vs the vols is like comparing apples and oranges. Those wide splits spread out your defenders wide and if your safety cheats up into the box and a WR gets loose it’s a TD. Spreading them out that much will also make our speed difference that much more effective as well. What team has Iowa played that came close to the speed and scheme of Tennessee?

Hope so. Tennessee scored 7 on Missouri and 10 on Georgia. Iowa's defense is really good.

I am fascinated by so many that act like this kind of game is a cakewalk. We beat the Commodedoors in non- spectacular fashion at home, and everyone immediately snaps and clears concerning the 2 games prior that you mention. This ain't the 2022 Vols guys. Our defense is slightly better than last year and not elite. Our offense is not in the same zip code as 2022. Our special teams seem to be a wash. Our conference was not head and shoulders the best this year.
Iowa, who made their conference championship, looks like a huge challenge to me. Plus I'm sure they'll have a 2015 Jacksonville chip on their shoulder.

...213 yards of offense. Michigan had the ball 36 minutes. Ran for 66 yards. Only 12 1st downs.

Coach Josh can do much better than that.
And yet Michigan still outperformed the Iowa offense in every category and won 26-0.

It’s one thing to play Iowa in the drudgery and malaise of week 9 or in week 13 after a slog of a season when you’re banged up and only have a week to prepare. It’s another thing to play them on New Years after a month of rest. I was sitting there watching the Big 10 title saying, “Man, I would love to play Iowa.” Well, be careful what you wish for, I guess…but Iowa just doesn’t scare me. Maybe I’ll be eating my words, but I think UT wins by double digits. I think we’re bigger, faster and stronger than Iowa. That’s all there is to it. The key will just be discipline. Iowa is a solid, disciplined football team who won’t make a lot of mistakes, but they won’t make a lot of plays either.
I agree. Iowa has a solid defense, but I ain't scared of them. Even if we had an off game or struggled on offense, we could win. A Missouri or Georgia style outing could still lead to a win. We could beat Iowa 7 or 10 to nothing.

Their offense is terrible. I think our defense could shine if they play aggressive. Like, that offense is anemic. It was tough watching that championship game against Michigan. lol

Same ol' VN. The opponent is trash and UT is gonna have a cake walk.
I agree with you 100% except on this game. If this isn't a cake walk we have a big problem. Iowa with an offense that can't score and a defense propped up by playing literally nobody with an offense. They're bad period.

Reactions: memtownvol
They also got rolled by Penn State. And lowly Michigan State who had their coach fired mid-season moved the ball pretty easily against them.

...213 yards of offense. Michigan had the ball 36 minutes. Ran for 66 yards. Only 12 1st downs.

Coach Josh can do much better than that.

I think Alabama getting in is the worst case scenario for Michigan to face the SEC in the semi's.

I'm hoping Washington wins the other one.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Fully expecting UT to beat Iowa by 3 tds
Bama to beat beat Michigan by 24+
And Texas or Bama is going to embarrass Washington.

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense. It sounds like you're covering yourself.

"If Texas doesn't pound Washington, then Alabama will."

Iowa has NO offense at all. So the question is does Iowa get 400 or 500 yards of offense against Banks and Tennessee ?
Iowa actually has negative offense. Their offense is do bad that it acts as extra defense for the opponent. And we have seen this before 2014 taxslayer and back then they had an actual decent offense and thats the season we barely made a bowl.

But, more to the point. Iowa does not play against teams like us. The only team they played this entire year with close to the talent level and speed we bring to the table was PSU and that didnt turn out too well for them. Their defense is built to stop big 10 west football which is a very low bar. There is a team in the big10 west that had a winning record, will make a bowl and scored less points than their opponents. That sir takes a crappy schedule to accomplish. Big 10 conference games not involving the big 3 (OSU. PSU and UM) were vigorous pillow fights. Funny enough all 4 top big 10 teams play SEC teams in bowls this year its gonna be interesting.

The number of people thinking we will roll Iowa is questionable. Their defense is good. Our offense has struggled all year. It’s gonna be a low scoring game.
I keep seeing people say this. If you’re comparing this year’s offense to last year’s (arguably the best offense in the entire country in 2022), yeah, we have struggled. If you compare this year’s offense to any of the Pruitt-coached years, this year’s offense would be a revelation. We’ve run the ball effectively a ton, been hit-and-miss with the pass game. I think we rank something like 17th in the country in total offense. Iowa’s offense is DEAD LAST in the country. We average almost double the yards per game. Some people need to gain a little perspective.

I keep seeing people say this. If you’re comparing this year’s offense to last year’s (arguably the best offense in the entire country in 2022), yeah, we have struggled. If you compare this year’s offense to any of the Pruitt-coached years, this year’s offense would be a revelation. We’ve run the ball effectively a ton, been hit-and-miss with the pass game. I think we rank something like 17th in the country in total offense. Iowa’s offense is DEAD LAST in the country. We average almost double the yards per game. Some people need to gain a little perspective.
Perspective was watching our offense be anemic against teams we should’ve put 60 on. Sometimes the eye test is what it is. We just let Vandy put up 20+ while struggling some in that game if you take into account the opponent. I expect we will win, but not with a score of 42-7 like some are acting.

VN Store

Back