Iowa Held Michigan to 213 yards of offense.

I don't want to have the overconfidence like we've had against a South Carolina in 2022, or even this year against Missouri since we had put up 60 points two consecutive years, but I'm mixed on Iowa. On one said it's the Big 10 4th best team and it would be a nice feather in the cap, on the other end they aren't an exciting opponent.

That means in one breath you're saying "Texas will blow out Washington but Washing may win.....". It just seems like double talk.
not trying to trick anyone or cover myself. I think Washington will get exposed by Texas and if not them, surely Alabama.

Iowa has a very stout run defense...that concerns me because it puts it on Joe and the WRs to take over the game.
There's the rub. I see inexperienced WRs for UT working against a really good defense not to mention the QB being Joe Milton. That ain't Vandys defense he'll be facing. The windows will be pretty tight. Then there's the big question on offense....will Wright play? Sampson is explosive but he's not as physical a runner as wright. Can we have as consistent and effective running game without Wright? If we can't, how will that affect what this offense can do with Milton at QB? Final concern. Iowa is physical. They kind of remind me of Mizzou. They'll smack us in the mouth. How will we respond? I just don't see this as the cake walk some do.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Hope so. Tennessee scored 7 on Missouri and 10 on Georgia. Iowa's defense is really good.

Interesting matchup for sure. Luckily, their offense is pretty bad. If our defense plays well we should win in a fairly low scoring game.

If the front 7 shows up Iowa will also be in for a long day and Vols can make just enough plays to win.
But we all know Iowa is going to set records for offense in this game. This is the (Tenn) way.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I think if our offensive line is fairly healthy then we'll move the ball. It hasn't been healthy for a while. I can't remember - is Spraggins done for his career?

Iowa struggles offensively and that is a huge sticking point for the fan base. If they had a serviceable offense they would be a top team because their defense is legit. They win a lot like the Steelers where they defense keeps them in it then they hope to capitalize on turnovers, mistakes etc. and get enough points on the board to win.

We SHOULD win this game but it all depends on being able to move the ball, get the ball back and do it again. If we play well we should win by a 17+. If we play down it will be tight and uncomfortable.

Iowa struggles offensively and that is a huge sticking point for the fan base. If they had a serviceable offense they would be a top team because their defense is legit. They win a lot like the Steelers where they defense keeps them in it then they hope to capitalize on turnovers, mistakes etc. and get enough points on the board to win.

We SHOULD win this game but it all depends on being able to move the ball, get the ball back and do it again. If we play well we should win by a 17+. If we play down it will be tight and uncomfortable.
The key for this one is who plays and who sits it out. Wright is my big worry. Is Sampson ready to carry the load? Can Small and Seldon provide enough help for Sampson? If we can't run the ball, my confidence level drops precipitously.

The key for this one is who plays and who sits it out. Wright is my big worry. Is Sampson ready to carry the load? Can Small and Seldon provide enough help for Sampson? If we can't run the ball, my confidence level drops precipitously.
100% agree. Didn't really think about this and you hit on a critical point.

Michigan also had a punt return for 87 yards or something crazy. Michigan didn’t have to do anything exotic to beat Iowa .

Penn State, who fired their OC, put up right at 400 yards of offense and over 200 yards rushing .

Reactions: feathersax
There's the rub. I see inexperienced WRs for UT working against a really good defense not to mention the QB being Joe Milton. That ain't Vandys defense he'll be facing. The windows will be pretty tight. Then there's the big question on offense....will Wright play? Sampson is explosive but he's not as physical a runner as wright. Can we have as consistent and effective running game without Wright? If we can't, how will that affect what this offense can do with Milton at QB? Final concern. Iowa is physical. They kind of remind me of Mizzou. They'll smack us in the mouth. How will we respond? I just don't see this as the cake walk some do.

There needs to be between 4-6 called QB runs in the game. This will freeze the LBs for UT to throw over the middle to the TE (assuming CJH remembers we have TEs on the roster). Yes, I know passes to the TEs accounted for about 17% of throws thus far - but in my opinion, it needs to be more as Joe's accuracy down field (30+ yards) is questionable.

Winning 10 games with an offense that bad is unprecedented. They are currently 130th (dead last) and are a full 32 yards behind the 129th ranked Offense which is Kent St.

Reactions: feathersax
They're a lot like Missouri except without a offense. They're really bad. Tennessee plays some soft defense at times so who knows, but they are the very worst in the NCAA. Tim Banks makes them look competent and no changes are made this offseason then i wouldn't expect a lot next year.

VN Store

Back