Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

You have to be joking. Not sure how you’d post this with a straight face.

Every team is going to have off nights, and it’s the FIRST WEEK of December. Let’s hold off on crucifying the guy. Personally, I think we are lucky to have him as a coach. So just chill man.
Barnes is an average coach. His record ( 1 Final 4 appearance in 33 years) speaks for itself. How many teams in the SEC do you think would like to trade coaches with us?

The book has yet to be written for this team. It is December. But we have gone ice cold twice against our biggest opponents. And we had good looks.
And Barnes just sat back and let them keep missing. That said, the whole game was bizarre. Never seen one like it and I bet TT fans can say the same

Barnes is an average coach. His record ( 1 Final 4 appearance in 33 years) speaks for itself. How many teams in the SEC do you think would like to trade coaches with us?

Barnes is a above average coach that got outcoached last night.

Against CU and UNC, he outcoached his counterpart

Reactions: clarencepeabody
Barnes is a above average coach that got outcoached last night.

Against CU and UNC, he outcoached his counterpart
Yes, if he just could have coached a little better. Surely there is something he could have done to ensure his guards hit one more shot than they did. He failed all of VolNation. Don’t even mention the bogus charge on Chandler, or the inexplicable bad luck of the James debacle on the snowbird.

Yes, if he just could have coached a little better. Surely there is something he could have done to ensure his guards hit one more shot than they did. He failed all of VolNation. Don’t even mention the bogus charge on Chandler, or the inexplicable bad luck of the James debacle on the snowbird.

TT set the pace and tempo and set the entire tone for the game. We played their game instead of them playing ours. That's Coaching 101. A coach can't control if shots are falling but they can control the pace and tone. We took the air out of the basketball and played exactly how they wanted the game to be played.

TT set the pace and tempo and set the entire tone for the game. We played their game instead of them playing ours. That's Coaching 101. A coach can't control if shots are falling but they can control the pace and tone. We took the air out of the basketball and played exactly how they wanted the game to be played.
Actually, the slower tempo team ALWAYS controls the pace. That’s Basketball 101. If you think an uptempo team can make a slow-paced team run, then you might go back and take a harder look.

Reactions: LoudOrange
Actually, the slower tempo team ALWAYS controls the pace. That’s Basketball 101. If you think an uptempo team can make a slow-paced team run, then you might go back and take a harder look.

We actually played at a slower pace than them in the halfcourt. Again, we didnt play our game and they did. If Barnes is going to get credit for the impressive CU and UNC wins (which he deserves), he deserves thr same criticism when we lose to an inferior team.

We actually played at a slower pace than them in the halfcourt. Again, we didnt play our game and they did. If Barnes is going to get credit for the impressive CU and UNC wins (which he deserves), he deserves thr same criticism when we lose to an inferior team.

I can see both sides, but Texas Tech was a much better defensive team than I expected. You could tell that Chandler was hesitant at times to drive with their length, and poor charge call doesn't help. Fulky struggled to finish, but I thought he played ok. We had plenty of open shots though. Pace or no pace if we just hit a few open shots, we win that game.

North Carolina runs. Both teams were running and forced tempo. Colorado and TTU don’t run. There’s no way to force pace, even though that’s what Tennessee wanted. It takes two people to dance. It’s always been that way.

Not sure I agree with calling them inferior. That program has had winning DNA for a while. It was an even matchup and the game played out as such.

Reactions: cardvolfan
North Carolina runs. Both teams were running and forced tempo. Colorado and TTU don’t run. There’s no way to force pace, even though that’s what Tennessee wanted. It takes two people to dance. It’s always been that way.

I'm not saying we were going to make them run. Just saying we took the slow pace they were playing and slowed it down even more. We still played our game offensively against CU. Last night, we played entirely different on the offensive end re: pace

My best analogy for this game was -TT wanted it to be in the 60s, both teams shot like it should be in the 50s, and we slowed it down offensively to make sure it was in the 40s

I'm not saying we were going to make them run. Just saying we took the slow pace they were playing and slowed it down even more. We still played our game offensively against CU. Last night, we played entirely different on the offensive end re: pace

My best analogy for this game was -TT wanted it to be in the 60s, both teams shot like it should be in the 50s, and we slowed it down offensively to make sure it was in the 40s
We would never slow it down to make sure it’s in the 40’s. That is absolutely wrong.

Bull. He left because the program was heading into an off year so he ran away before he was fired. Then he did it again at Cal.
The racism argument is a really old narrative. If anything, it was about a hugely popular coach who unceremoniously was asked to leave. He was very popular, and Cuonzo buckled to the pressure as many would. There will always be racist people around, but this issue was much different.

Like going to the sweet 16 every year would be a bad thing.

Since the NCAA tournament was started in the 1930's I believe Tennessee has advanced past 16 exactly once.

Tennessee has one Elite 8 and no Final Fours in program history.

If Mears not had depression issues, he would have had UT at the level of Duke and Kansas and UCLA in my opinion.

We evidently can shoot 3s some games and this game nothing would go in. Would we even be having this discussion has we burried 5 or 6 of those missed 3s that rattled out of the rim? Defensively we were ok. TTU is not a scrub team and I agree this was an ugly game I wish we won ugly.

And Barnes just sat back and let them keep missing. That said, the whole game was bizarre. Never seen one like it and I bet TT fans can say the same

What could he have done when they missed shots? Called a time out and held a shooting clinic? Yell at them? Yeah that would have worked. Didn’t we hit 17, 3s in one game recently?

Like going to the sweet 16 every year would be a bad thing.

Since the NCAA tournament was started in the 1930's I believe Tennessee has advanced past 16 exactly once.
Heck, until the turn of the century we had only made the sweet 16 twice. And one of them happened without winning a game (we had a bye in 1967 when there were only 23 teams in the field).

It would be coaching malpractice to tell the team to stop taking 3s when the opponent was more and more comfortable NOT defending the 3PL as shots weren’t dropping. He’d be instructing the team to take the more tightly defended shots. At some point you just have to assume that the outcome of the attempts in the game will eventually resemble what happens in practice.

Reactions: cardvolfan

VN Store

Back