Is breaking away from the NCAA a realistic possibility?

I personally don't think the NCAA cares about a breakaway from Football. You have to remember that all of their funding comes from March Madness and they really don't want to be the watchdog over football as there is nothing in it for them.

I wonder if this is their ploy when all is said and done?
Agree that they don’t care about football. However, when the schools and states decide to band together, and the conferences decide to work together, the tournament will be taken away too.

Think of all the funding to smaller schools OR the funding to no revenue generating sports, that the tournament could bring to all the respective schools. If there are 362 division 1 basketball schools and the tournament brings in 1 billion, then that leaves several million for each program.

A program like Belmont or Lipscomb could fund an entire athletic department for 3 million a year.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I personally don't think the NCAA cares about a breakaway from Football. You have to remember that all of their funding comes from March Madness and they really don't want to be the watchdog over football as there is nothing in it for them.

AGREE - they have been active on NOT attaching the term NCAA to the College Football Playoff.

Consider the NAIA schools...when you go to their games, look at their schedules, watch their playoff, etc. the NAIA logo and branding are prominently displayed. I think the trophy is actually called the NAIA playoff championship.

It’s possible but what’s the alternative? Is it going to be conferences governing themselves? If that’s the case it would be an even bigger disaster imo. If conferences had no higher power to answer to, then whose to stop a conference from saying well pay for play is completely legal. There are no recruiting rules or anything.

I think the NCAA is on its way out. But my fear is nobody is gonna have a real good alternative in mind.
Have all members of the conferences involved have a vote in what happens. If someone deliberately breaks the rules, eventually they get removed from being allowed to play teams in the new league, depending on severity and cooperation clearly spelled out by the new rules agreed upon beforehand.

If that’s their ploy they’re stupider than I thought. No money will be left on the table for them at the end of the day. They will evolve or be replaced. If you’re going to self govern football why wouldn’t you just self govern basketball in conference?

It’s unlikely that the NCAA is completely abolished however I suspect their position of governance, influence and enforcement will change dramatically. The NCAA’s role will be like the king of England, ceremonial in nature but no real governing power.

Reactions: norrislakevol
The SEC, the Big 10 and the Big12 would be what you want to break away with, the ACC is irrelevant in the treasure trove of football dollars, but the conferences need to get their houses and corporate governance in order to keep the NCAA, issue from becoming conference issues once they pour water on the wicked witch of Indianapolis

Sure it is possible, but I don't think very wise at this point in time. I believe there NCAA has bitten off more than it can Chew and the legal system will correct most of the flaws. If not, 4-5 major conferences will pull away and leave the NVAA in a pile of ashes. They have no legal ability to over rule or ignore Federal and State laws or the U S Supreme Court. This should be learned up in a couple of months.

Reactions: norrislakevol
For those smarter and more in the know than me, how difficult would it be for us to break away from the NCAA with other institutions who are through with their witch-hunting hypocritical approaches to governance?

its not going to be easy..

on the surface,

you break away, you are giving up participation in March Madness. You are giving up participation in the CWS. You are giving up participation in the WCWS.

No more participation in other sports national tournaments, golf, Volley Ball, etc. etc.

Maybe something could be negotiated but it would take quite sometime. Likely those tournaments would just cease to exist so participation might be moot.

I'm sure there are a multitude of other ramifications.

I don't believe it is a certain future, this one you describe where players evolve into employees of the universities.

It is one possible future. But there are at least two other models that could emerge, not to mention continuing to muddle on in the current form. Never underestimate the ability of humanity to muddle along for long stretches of time. Generations, I mean.

So we'll see where we go. One thing is almost for certain: it won't be anything like a 'clean start'. There will be antecedents and carry-overs, and history and complexity. It will be a mess that is JUST cleaned up enough to avoid the horri-bad outcome everyone finally got energized to steer away from.

That's just how civilizations (all civilizations) roll.

Go Vols!
Even if you pay players, NIL will exist.

All pro sports players STILL own their NIL.

So you will end up with Pay+NIL

The SEC could break away and stand on its own until the other conferences see the green grass on the other side.

The SEC tournaments would still carry a large viewership and put a hurting on the typical NCAA viewership.

There were years where the SEC championship was arguably more important than the BCS/CFP.

Reactions: basspond
Unless every game is called like last night, Tenn will be fine. Just a few games ago against Ala, I thought it was the best game for players 1 - 8 that I’ve seen.
The officials called 2 completely different games per half last night, and also allowed Mack to basically push any defender backwards until he was under the goal. Mentally everyone but DK thought too much about officiating and not playing the game.

For those smarter and more in the know than me, how difficult would it be for us to break away from the NCAA with other institutions who are through with their witch-hunting hypocritical approaches to governance?
If you’re breaking away then what fills the void? Who runs the show? It should be set up like a professional league with a Commissioner.

When they investigate Florida State--which they did recently--and others, it's not witch-hunting. It's only witch-hunting when it's us and fans get their knickers in a knot.

The NCAA is a member organization---the colleges constitute the governing body. How would you--or anyone--propose that college football by governed/monitored/regulated by an alternative organization?

I feel like NIL needs to go through Spyre, and spyre needs to report contracts. One reason I don't give is bc I want to know exactly what and who my money is going to, and I want accountability for it.

If players sign a contract, and they leave early, they need to pay a buyout. If they bail on a bowl game, they need to be fined. If they get in trouble with the law they need to be fined, or have their contract voided. If they decide to leave for another school, they need to pay a buy out or their new collective does. If the coaches let them go, their contract is voided. There has to be some kind of accountability for these players that treats them like the millionaires they want to be.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
It’s possible but what’s the alternative? Is it going to be conferences governing themselves? If that’s the case it would be an even bigger disaster imo. If conferences had no higher power to answer to, then whose to stop a conference from saying well pay for play is completely legal. There are no recruiting rules or anything.

I think the NCAA is on its way out. But my fear is nobody is gonna have a real good alternative in mind.
Why not run in like the NFL? Have all the conferences vote on a commissioner. The NFL seems to be doing something right.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
When they investigate Florida State--which they did recently--and others, it's not witch-hunting. It's only witch-hunting when it's us and fans get their knickers in a knot.

The NCAA is a member organization---the colleges constitute the governing body. How would you--or anyone--propose that college football by governed/monitored/regulated by an alternative organization?
State of Missouri passed a law stating that an NIL can include commitment to a state school. Looking for the NCAA charge on Missouri. Not necessary a witch hunt however abitrary enforcement on rules that were only approved by 23 members.

Would that necessarily be better though?

Not sure...

In the scheme of things, I think it was more Saban that got favoritism than Alabama. Alabama from 1990-2008 got little support and in fact sometimes had the opposite happen and got the treatment we have gotten lately.

VN Store

Back