Is breaking away from the NCAA a realistic possibility?

It is easy to hate. And I'm no fan of the NCAA enforcement wing.

But there have to be rules about transfers and recruiting. No one wants the wild West, where assistant coaches are constantly harassing your star player to jump ship to them, 24/365. The wild West, where players transfer in the middle of the season, taking your team's playbook and communication habits to the arch-rival two weeks before the game against them. The wild West, where a New York Yankees equivalent can emerge with 400+ players on their roster, all with multi-million $$ NIL deals and very few actually playing football...just to keep them away from the competition's rosters.

So there need to be some rules in place. And someone's gotta figure out what those rules are, given recent judicial NIL findings, and the Congress' lack of interest in setting a new national standard. And then someone's gotta enforce those rules with the schools who agreed on them.

Whoever that is deciding the rules and enforcing them, they're going to be hated JUST LIKE THE NCAA IS TODAY.

So why not the NCAA?

Seems to me the problem isn't really the NCAA itself. I mean, it is undoubtedly a bloated bureaucracy that can stand to be gutted, and has undoubtedly become too big for its own britches and needs to be reined in, but we can do that without eliminating the organization.

No, the problem is a lack of clear, easily-understood limits and allowances. Something that tells everyone in the nation, here's what NIL is, and this is what the Portal is. Here's how they work. Here's how they can be used. Here's how they can't. Abide by that, or this is the punishment.

We don't have that clarity today. There is a vacuum without any structure.

That's the problem. Just as Donde noted.

Let's solve that first. Then figure out if the NCAA can be amended to manage it all for us.

Go Vols!
The NCAA can regulate recruiting from the institutional perspective. They have no ability to regulate NIL.

Would that necessarily be better though?
Exactly! The same SEC, that most fans claim are constantly looking out for Alabama and Georgia?
I don’t have a lot of confidence in the NCAA or the SEC, to do the right thing(whatever that may be) but I AM confident this is not going to end well or end the rainbows and unicorns way people think it’s going to.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Exactly! The same SEC, that most fans claim are constantly looking out for Alabama and Georgia?
I don’t have a lot of confidence in the NCAA or the SEC, to do the right thing(whatever that may be) but I AM confident this is not going to end well or end the rainbows and unicorns way people think it’s going to.
That’s my worry as well. I mean what if we break away and Saban becomes the SEC commissioner? Meaning he is the governing body so to speak. Does anyone think that would be better for us than the NCAA?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
That’s my worry as well. I mean what if we break away and Saban becomes the SEC commissioner? Meaning he is the governing body so to speak. Does anyone think that would be better for us than the NCAA?
Is the SEC Commissioner selected by the Chancellors of the Universities? If not then it should be by vote of all 16.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
For those smarter and more in the know than me, how difficult would it be for us to break away from the NCAA with other institutions who are through with their witch-hunting hypocritical approaches to governance?
If you win in court you have broken away so you need other schools to be on your side and in agreement with what you are against. If your the only one that goes to court and you win and everyone else decides to stay and abide by NCAA rules then your on an island alone. I don't see that happening cause everyone is guilty of violations right now every school so everyone has to be punished if the NCAA is to be fair with the rule they last established. I figure Nico will be in the NFL before this is settled and it could be settled in a month with the suit that the Tennesse and Virginia Attorney Generals filed just a couple days ago.

Eventually it’ll happen and who knows, this might be the last straw. Especially with the entire state’s legal apparatus going after them. With Virginia it helps the case a ton and if more states join in then it very well could be the end of the NCAA and the start of something different.

I am pleased to. This is an excerpt from the AG's lawsuit. I'm sure you can google and find the rest of it if this isn't good enough. The AG goes into great detail in how the NCAA's policies violates individuals rights.

"An order declaring the NCAA's NIL-Recruiting ban violates section 1 of the SHERMAN ACT "

This is why the NCAA should immediately back down and say the NIL rule will be NIL state laws going forward. This avoids going to court and losing and everyone being ruled by NIL state laws instead of NCAA one that has changed so much no one knows what to follow.

Reactions: Tman44
This is why the NCAA should immediately back down and say the NIL rule will be NIL state laws going forward. This avoids going to court and losing and everyone being ruled by NIL state laws instead of NCAA one that has changed so much no one knows what to follow.
I agree but when does the NCAA ever do anything that makes common sense. Why not try to get everyone on same page before you go wishy washy half enforcing this and not not looking at that. The NCAA had time to get in front of the NIL situation to make it work for the NCAA and everyone, but they didn’t. Just like Tennessee wanted to meet with the NCAA board and president and they refused. Crap like that is the problem. They have been the problem that got us to this spot by inaction. GBO

Reactions: Volfan2012

VN Store

Back