Is Dobbs

from bleacher report:
senior year threw for 3,625 yards and 29 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions. Rushed for 419 yards and 10 touchdowns.

11 - thats not good, esp. when people crowed about the ones Worley threw in SEC games. Anyway it sounds as if he was the teams workhorse with all those big numbers.

From Ferguson's film, it looks as though he consistently under throws his receivers, especially during the first portion of the highlights. Dobbs' senior highlights seem to look better from a passing standpoint, IMO. Although, both show good mobility and pocket presence.

I honestly feel he will stay three to four years and get that degree. He is very focused on his academic role as much as his athletic role.

Eric Berry came to school as Pre-Dental.

I like Pre-Dental Football players now.

Todd Helton may be an informative example. If a kid thinks his financial future is in another sport, the first time he gets dinged on the football field, he will go to the other sport.

Todd Helton claims the move to baseball was after watching PM play .. he knew his future was in a different sport.

TH started the first few games PM's freshman season, it didnt take him long to realize that being a full time starter wasnt in his future.

The same thing every other person on VN opinion is based on.

Nothing
There seems to be two points of view on VN. One is eternal optimism based on looking through orange tinted glasses with unrealistic expectations, and the other is based on having your heart broken so many times, that you expect the worst. There doesn't seem to be much in between.

My opinion of Ferguson versus Dobbs:

1) Neither has taken a college snap.
2) Everybody's highlight reel looks good.
3) My conclusion is I don't have a clue, and neither does anyone else.
4) One may be better now, and the other may be better in a year or two.
5) If VN splits 50/50 on it, half will be right, and will gloat "I told you so.".

Reactions: 1 person
Is Dobbs a 1st or 2nd round MLB draft prospect, Any chance he goes pro baseball?

No, he will play QB for UT this yr. He was very focused on a school that has the degree he wants. Kid is super smart and would bet he gets his degree no matter how his football/baseball career at UT goes.

Todd Helton claims the move to baseball was after watching PM play .. he knew his future was in a different sport.

TH started the first few games PM's freshman season, it didnt take him long to realize that being a full time starter wasnt in his future.

Didn't Helton get hurt in one of the games he started?

Didn't Helton get hurt in one of the games he started?

If my feeble memory serves me correctly, both Manning & Helton played in that UCLA game. I can remember (on TV) that Manning looked about 15 years old.

Helton got hurt a few weeks later in maybe Miss State game.

Please correct me if needed.

Getting his knee banged up against Miss St. probably helped his decision along as well.

If my feeble memory serves me correctly, both Manning & Helton played in that UCLA game. I can remember (on TV) that Manning looked about 15 years old.

Helton got hurt a few weeks later in maybe Miss State game.

Please correct me if needed.

You're correct...Helton came back to the football team that year to help out due to lack of depth at QB. When he got his knee banged up at Miss St, he walked off the field straight to the locker room. At half he told Fulmer his future was in baseball, and couldn't afford a serious injury...he never suited up for football again at UT.

Jerry Colquitt was the starter that year (5th yr senior I believe) but hurt his knee in the first game that year at UCLA. That left Helton as the starter ahead of Manning and Stewart. So when Helton left the team after Miss St, only Manning and Stewart were left at QB, IIRC.

You're correct...Helton came back to the football team that year to help out due to lack of depth at QB. When he got his knee banged up at Miss St, he walked off the field straight to the locker room. At half he told Fulmer his future was in baseball, and couldn't afford a serious injury...he never suited up for football again at UT.

Jerry Colquitt was the starter that year (5th yr senior I believe) but hurt his knee in the first game that year at UCLA. That left Helton as the starter ahead of Manning and Stewart. So when Helton left the team after Miss St, only Manning and Stewart were left at QB, IIRC.
As i recall, Colquitt was hurt on the first offensive series. He tore his ACL making a cut on the corner, a non contact injury.

As i recall, Colquitt was hurt on the first offensive series. He tore his ACL making a cut on the corner, a non contact injury.

Yep, I had forgotten about his injury being on the first possession. I felt bad for him. He waited for his opportunity, fought thru injuries, was granted an extra by the NCAA due to injury ( I believe this is right). Then he gets his chance against UCLA on national TV, and goes down on the first series and ends his career at UT.

Lets start with the fact that he will not get drafted in a high round in MLB this year so it is not an issue. With that out of the way, its hilarious all the fans saying he would not go play minor league baseball if drafted in a high round because he values earning his degree. Bias opinions run rampant. I did not realize they created new rules that would not allow him to return to school and earn a degree at a later time? "If" a player gets drafted in the first two rounds of the MLB draft and get a 7-figure signing bonus they can easily justify signing the contract and getting a degree later.

Lets start with the fact that he will not get drafted in a high round in MLB this year so it is not an issue. With that out of the way, its hilarious all the fans saying he would not go play minor league baseball if drafted in a high round because he values earning his degree. Bias opinions run rampant. I did not realize they created new rules that would not allow him to return to school and earn a degree at a later time? "If" a player gets drafted in the first two rounds of the MLB draft and get a 7-figure signing bonus they can easily justify signing the contract and getting a degree later.

Plenty of players get it written into contracts that the team will pay for their college education if they don't make it. We've been the beneficiary of that a few times in the past.

VN Store

Back