Is Rajon Neal Reliable?

VolBraniac

Bigly Membered
I have never thought Neal had the wherewithal to play at his potential. There was always something off kilter for this player who is one of - if not the fastest - player on the team. He never showed the combination of toughness and dedication that his talent should demand.

Now this.

Jacob Carter asked to lead group of receivers he's behind in Tennessee's depth chart » GoVolsXtra

Extra running:Running backs coach Robert Gillespie was displeased with Rajion Neal’s execution of a drill and subsequent reaction to being corrected during period five of practice. Neal was still running laps when practice was closed to the media after period seven.
He's a senior. He is facing the prospect of making millions in the NFL and Gillespie has to spank him like a newbie?

:eek:hmy:

Reactions: 3 people
One of the fastest players on the team, if not the fastest.
Don't worry about "Raisin" Neal.
He'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm expecting him to have a big senior year. Before he sprained his ankle, he was having his best season. Coach G is just sending a message and hopefully Neal listened and that's that.

Neal is our number 1. i like Lane alot, but this is Neals backfield - he will have a 1000 yrd season easy.

I have never thought Neal had the wherewithal to play at his potential. There was always something off kilter for this player who is one of - if not the fastest - player on the team. He never showed the combination of toughness and dedication that his talent should demand.

Now this.

Jacob Carter asked to lead group of receivers he's behind in Tennessee's depth chart » GoVolsXtra

He's a senior. He is facing the prospect of making millions in the NFL and Gillespie has to spank him like a newbie?

Neal is a human being. As such he is fallible. Like you and me, he will have good days and bad days. how many days have we had where we heard NOTHING of him being in trouble about his grades, being out in some bar after hours, attacking a female, robbing some place, smoking weed, and other such conduct? how many days, better yet years. He has one off day and BOOM! Is he reliable!!??

As a player, like many of our guys, he's been poorly coached, jerked around from being a WR to a RB, endured coaches who wanted this, then that, and somehow trying to navigate it all. But here's the shocking thing, he never once transferred out of the mess but remained loyal to the UT. Can't say the same for people like Arnett for example.

I had a moment like yours in wondering about him. Then I sat back and looked at it again and came to the conclusions above. can't blame you for asking the question despite my comments. We've had so many disappointments for several years. Just remember one thing, so have the players. Now and then, it will manifest itself in varied ways. Now, let's pull for RN and believe in him. He's going to have a heck of a year.

Reactions: 28 people
Neal is our number 1. i like Lane alot, but this is Neals backfield - he will have a 1000 yrd season easy.

I don't know about that^ I hope so but he's no T.J Yeldon that's for sure. The passing game better be amazingly good or he better turn into a beast. I could maybe see it though cause the fact were probably going to run more. He had 700 yards while splitting it with Lane... if he don't spit carries with Lane and other backs then yeah sure but like I said the defenses was scared of our passing game last year and more than likely won't be that way this year.

I just wouldn't say 1000 yards "easy" cause you may very well be let down.

Last edited:
Its a good question but 9 out of 10 players will run laps from time to time
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't know about that^ I hope so but he's no T.J Yeldon that's for sure. The passing game better be amazingly good or he better turn into a beast. I could maybe see it though cause the fact were probably going to run more. He had 700 yards while splitting it with Lane... if he don't spit carries with Lane and other backs then yeah sure but like I said the defenses was scared of our passing game last year and more than likely won't be that way this year.

I just wouldn't say 1000 yards "easy" cause you may very well be let down.

Like Worley, Neal is going to turn in a performance that mocks the underrating claims against them.

Neal just never has played as fast as he actually is. I hope that changes because he could be a very good RB.

Like Worley, Neal is going to turn in a performance that mocks the underrating claims against them.
I sincerely hope so. But from what I understand he has an air of arrogance or inflated ego or over confidence that sort of rubs you funny. He needs to prove it because he's done nothing to warrant any level of confidence from the fan base.

I sincerely hope so. But from what I understand he has an air of arrogance or inflated ego or over confidence that sort of rubs you funny. He needs to prove it because he's done nothing to warrant any level of confidence from the fan base.

I disagree. He has a rep for doing more than asked in his off season workouts. He hangs with his OL during those workouts, coaches haven't mentioned problems beyond the hiccup from yesterday. In the films, he's back and putting himself into practices just as hard as before. If he's a problem, it sure doesn't show. One day after the hiccup, the RB coach is talking praise instead of issues with him. Finally, all serious RBs have an ego. You have to because there's a target on your back and chest every game. If you lack that confidence, even that bit of arrogance, you become little more than a timid tackling dummy. I honestly believe both RN and ML are finally in a system that best suits their skill set. We're going to have an exciting running game this season. Neither are F-14 Tomcats a la Yeldon, or F/A-18 Hornets a la Gurly, but they will prove to be very serviceable F-117 Nighthawks. Not particularly showy, operating under the radar, and just getting the job done.

I disagree. He has a rep for doing more than asked in his off season workouts. He hangs with his OL during those workouts, coaches haven't mentioned problems beyond the hiccup from yesterday. In the films, he's back and putting himself into practices just as hard as before. If he's a problem, it sure doesn't show. One day after the hiccup, the RB coach is talking praise instead of issues with him. Finally, all serious RBs have an ego. You have to because there's a target on your back and chest every game. If you lack that confidence, even that bit of arrogance, you become little more than a timid tackling dummy. I honestly believe both RN and ML are finally in a system that best suits their skill set. We're going to have an exciting running game this season. Neither are F-14 Tomcats a la Yeldon, or F/A-18 Hornets a la Gurly, but they will prove to be very serviceable F-117 Nighthawks. Not particularly showy, operating under the radar, and just getting the job done.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said it rubs people wrong. I should have clarified and said certain people wrong. It happens. Doesn't mean he's an awful individual or a bad teammate but for me he hasn't proven anything. When he runs between those tackles consistently and bounces off tackles and puts his shoulders down and drives for that extra couple yards consistently I'll be a believer. Until then he's a back with little vision who goes down on first contact. Just my personal opinion from what I've seen. He was better last year but on the field not impressive.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I just said it rubs people wrong. I should have clarified and said certain people wrong. It happens. Doesn't mean he's an awful individual or a bad teammate but for me he hasn't proven anything. When he runs between those tackles consistently and bounces off tackles and puts his shoulders down and drives for that extra couple yards consistently I'll be a believer. Until then he's a back with little vision who goes down on first contact. Just my personal opinion from what I've seen. He was better last year but on the field not impressive.

Understood. You know ( I didn't realize this until recently) he's actually a WR who was converted to a RB.

I think Lane is a better all around back.

I want Neal to succeed and he has the talent. He just needs to put it all together.

Now this.

It could be Neal has reached his potential... after 3 years, players typically are as good as they will be.. there are exceptions to this but it is very rare. IMO, these backs are average SEC caliber running backs

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think if you reviewed his tape from last season before his injury he had quit trying to constantly bounce everything outside and he was putting his shoulders down to get the extra yard.

You are right, his first 2 years he did not display those traits with regularity. My impressions was that he had turned the corner last season and barring the injury would have easily gained 1,000 yards even in the pass happy offense of last year.

when the coaches are still having to vocally tell Neal that he is too soft, it's difficult to rely on him.
Some guys are just good, hard nosed, football players that like to get in there and mix it up. Neal has some of what my mom would call "pretty boy" in him with the way he runs.

Neal is a human being. As such he is fallible. Like you and me, he will have good days and bad days. how many days have we had where we heard NOTHING of him being in trouble about his grades, being out in some bar after hours, attacking a female, robbing some place, smoking weed, and other such conduct? how many days, better yet years. He has one off day and BOOM! Is he reliable!!??

As a player, like many of our guys, he's been poorly coached, jerked around from being a WR to a RB, endured coaches who wanted this, then that, and somehow trying to navigate it all. But here's the shocking thing, he never once transferred out of the mess but remained loyal to the UT. Can't say the same for people like Arnett for example. Tt

I had a moment like yours in wondering about him. Then I sat back and looked at it again and came to the conclusions above. can't blame you for asking the question despite my comments. We've had so many disappointments for several years. Just remember one thing, so have the players. Now and then, it will manifest itself in varied ways. Now, let's pull for RN and believe in him. He's going to have a heck of a year.
Well said!

He will have a great year I believe. His skill set fits this system well and he will easily get over 1,000 this year.

VN Store

Back