Is Rajon Neal Reliable?

But he might lecture him on colon health. After all, he's a braniac.

That avi is a strong visual aid in understanding the concept of the oral/rectal inversion. Gets point for medical clarity.

Again....the thread title asks if he's reliable. IMO we're questioning the wrong back. It's Lane that's been in the doghouse of two different staffs. How reliable is he?

Reactions: 1 person
Again....the thread title asks if he's reliable. IMO were questioning the wrong back. It's Lane that's been in the doghouse of two different staffs. How reliable is he?

I think everybody keeps holding out hope that he'll get that half step back and be more explosive.

I think everybody keeps holding out hope that he'll get that half step back and be more explosive.

I've never felt it was a talent thing with Lane. He just needs to use his head a bit more. He looks like a beast right now. I've been one to take a strong stance in favor of Neal for said reasons. But if Lane decides he wants to be fully dedicated and were to take that #1 spot..... I'd cheer for that boy like no other. I actually think Lane and Neal compliment each other quite well. And both have fabulous hands out of the backfield.

Because I effing watch him play? Where have you been, under the Orange Koolaid tanker?

Nothing to do with heart.

Some to do with playing in a passing O for coaches that did not demand that CP or Hunter block anyone. If those guys had held blocks... some of those plays that Neal gets criticized for bouncing outside would have gone for big yardage. T Poole had good success bouncing outside with far less speed and quickness than Neal. The difference was that Moore, Jones, and Rogers were very, very good perimeter run blockers.

The rest IMO is just a question of either coaching or instincts for Neal. Physically, he has everything you would ever want in a RB.

I see him at this point as a possible Poole headed into '10 with much more actual talent. Poole felt like he'd been stiffed and cheated... so does Neal. Now he has one last chance.

What ever happened to Tom Smith? I don't have anything against Neal but every time he is interviewed he looks like he is about to fall asleep,,just a perception but you want your back to have a little "git" up and go in his personality.

I have never thought Neal had the wherewithal to play at his potential. There was always something off kilter for this player who is one of - if not the fastest - player on the team. He never showed the combination of toughness and dedication that his talent should demand.

Now this.

Jacob Carter asked to lead group of receivers he's behind in Tennessee's depth chart » GoVolsXtra

He's a senior. He is facing the prospect of making millions in the NFL and Gillespie has to spank him like a newbie?

:eek:hmy:

:bump3:

On the heels of Neal's 98 yard run in yesterday's scrimmage, I think a bump is more than appropriate. Oh yeah, Lane with yet another fumble.

a quote from coach Jones yesterday.

Jones praised running back Rajion Neal, and said the offense scored on a 98-yard run because of “too many missed tackles” on defense. (The evening scrimmage was closed to the media.)

“Rajion ran with a purpose today,” Jones said.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think the Vols will be very good again this year--but Neil and Lane and the running game easily will be the strength of this team. The question is, can we pass and play defense well enough to challenge in SEC games? I doubt it. The defense is going to be a problem again--not as laughably bad as last year's unit, which couldn't stop a D.II team, but still a problem. The DL is mediocre at best and our LBs are weak, and I'm not sure what we have at DB. And we just lost two defensive contributors for a few weeks. I get a sense that the kids are getting some real solid coaching, so I'm optimistic about that and the future, just not this year, unfortunately!

I don't think the Vols will be very good again this year--but Neil and Lane and the running game easily will be the strength of this team. The question is, can we pass and play defense well enough to challenge in SEC games? I doubt it. The defense is going to be a problem again--not as laughably bad as last year's unit, which couldn't stop a D.II team, but still a problem. The DL is mediocre at best and our LBs are weak, and I'm not sure what we have at DB. And we just lost two defensive contributors for a few weeks. I get a sense that the kids are getting some real solid coaching, so I'm optimistic about that and the future, just not this year, unfortunately!

IMO there is more talent on this defense than when Wilcox has it ranked in the 30s nationally. Its a matter of calls and coaching more than lack of talent. I'm not saying they're the best out there, but going back to a system that better suited our players and a DC that isn't a moron should provide leaps and bounds in results.

You have to remember we were a big time passing machine last year and did not give as much for the RB's. This year the Oline and RB's will be more featured I believe and the passing game will have to learn and catch up. But we will have to see what the coaches stress.

He's not physical at all, the problem is that he isn't nearly as fast on the field at his fictional 40 time either. Not a very good back at this level.

I sincerely hope so. But from what I understand he has an air of arrogance or inflated ego or over confidence that sort of rubs you funny. He needs to prove it because he's done nothing to warrant any level of confidence from the fan base.

^this

You have to remember we were a big time passing machine last year and did not give as much for the RB's. This year the Oline and RB's will be more featured I believe and the passing game will have to learn and catch up. But we will have to see what the coaches stress.

We haven't had a reliable north/south back in a couple of years. Neal hasn't shown himself to be one.

We will all find out this season. With one of the best O Lines in the country plus a driven coaching staff with something to prove, Neal will have every opportunity to stack a lot of yards. GBO!

VN Store

Back