Is the SEC Championship in a 12 team playoff relevant anymore?

While that avenue exists, I think right now there is a "gentleman's agreement" among the Power 4 at least that a conference championship game does happen.
I know the SEC and Big Ten both have a title game slated for 2024.

To your point though, if SEC goes to a 9 game schedule after '24 I can see them just saying best recod is conference champ.
Atlanta has signed a contract until 2030 so it is going to go on for the rest of the decade.

In basketball, an SEC Championship is greater than anything less than a Region Championship (Final Four appearance). Under the new CFB format (4 or 12), an SEC Championship Game victory is greater than anything less than a National Championship Game appearance. SEC Baseball Tournament championship is greater than anything less than a CWS appearance......and 2 & BBQ does not count..

There is pride in winning the SEC and beating all of the hated teams in the states around us. I don't root for any of them in tournaments, bowl games, or playoffs. But, it is sure satisfying to beat them and win the championship of their conference.

In basketball, an SEC Championship is greater than anything less than a Region Championship (Final Four appearance). Under the new CFB format (4 or 12), an SEC Championship Game victory is greater than anything less than a National Championship Game appearance. SEC Baseball Tournament championship is greater than anything less than a CWS appearance......and 2 & BBQ does not count..

There is pride in winning the SEC and beating all of the hated teams in the states around us. I don't root for any of them in tournaments, bowl games, or playoffs. But, it is sure satisfying to beat them and win the championship of their conference.
Great post!

Reactions: IndianaVol
If you are going off the change in the game, agreed. However the extra game is $$$ so it isn't going away.

That's the bottom line, pun intended. The game generates big revenue, which automatically means it will never go away.

They could easily declare a champion using tiebreakers without playing the SEC title game, and save two teams that would likely be in the playoff anyway some wear and tear, and the possibility of playing 17 games if they make it to the final game. I guess the 'safety' of the 'student-athletes' is irrelevant if the price is right.

As the OP pointed out, it would be advantageous to be third in the conference and have a good enough record to be in the playoff while getting a bye week before the playoff begins.

I think it is a disadvantage due to the fact it is yet another game in what will be a meat grinder for the playoff winners.
It will make a 5th postseason game for the National Champion.
If you lose it you likely will not be in the top 4 which equals no bye in the playoff. It's going to be extremely advantageous and valuable to win the SECCG.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I think it is a disadvantage due to the fact it is yet another game in what will be a meat grinder for the playoff winners.
It will make a 5th postseason game for the National Champion.

Not necessarily. If you win the SECCG, you will get a bye and have to play 1 less game.

Reactions: SpookyAction
get rid of it. Most likely both teams are in. Go with best record/highest ranked or co-champs.

No outright champion could result with no bye in the first round of the CFP. The teams that make the CFP will not be decided like most folks think. It is not just the 12 top from the weekly rankings. Winning a conference championship matters as that is where the top 4 and the 4 byes will come from. If the other conferences have championship games and a clear winner, the SEC will leave open the chance that they miss out on a bye.

We can assume the top 2 SEC teams are going to be top 10 nationally and will both most definitely be getting playoff berths. However, we are now expanding to 12 teams, which means that a 3rd or even 4th SEC team would be likely to also get in. GA would be in for sure even after losing in Atlanta, so a 12 team playoff sets up the possibility of yet another rematch. As a coach, it's certainly nice to get an SEC trophy, but you are also risking your guys in a game against a team you could likely have to play again anyway. Attrition is a huge part of the game at that point in the season. You can even see a scenario where it's better to be SEC #3, skip Atlanta and focus on the playoffs without having to play an extra game. Thoughts?

Completely agree. The (stupid) 12-team playoff makes the SEC title game superfluous. I suppose in theory one of the SEC division winners could have two losses, say, and be ranked, say, 10th or 11th--and then if that team loses the SEC title game they don't make the playoff. But far more often than not, you'd think both SEC title contestants would be safely in the playoff. So yea, the game, in my view, should be dropped. You're also adding even more games to the schedule, of course--you're playing a title game and then going into the playoff.

Whose idea was it to have a 12 team playoff when 8 absolutely makes the most sense? The greed/stupidity has spun wildly out of control.

It will matter but it will be like in the NFL when you've already locked up a playoff spot. You ease the foot off pedal
This is one of the ways an expanded playoff hurts the college game. The other is that the regular season gets less valuable. Happens in BBALL now, as @ mid season everyone starts debating and listening to bracketology and the actual reg season games are downgraded.

I don’t see the need in a SEC championship game either. But like others have said. It brings in money and that’s what makes the world turn. So it won’t go anywhere, until we have a game where the loser somehow gets dropped to #13. And prevents another SEC team in the CFP.

Being really good is relevant. for people who really care about the Natties, and a lot of Vol fans are in this category, the SEC has never been relevant. Being really good is important, and if you're really good, you might win some SEC championships.

So I vote definitely not going to matter with a 12 team playoff. But you better be good if you get in.

We can assume the top 2 SEC teams are going to be top 10 nationally and will both most definitely be getting playoff berths. However, we are now expanding to 12 teams, which means that a 3rd or even 4th SEC team would be likely to also get in. GA would be in for sure even after losing in Atlanta, so a 12 team playoff sets up the possibility of yet another rematch. As a coach, it's certainly nice to get an SEC trophy, but you are also risking your guys in a game against a team you could likely have to play again anyway. Attrition is a huge part of the game at that point in the season. You can even see a scenario where it's better to be SEC #3, skip Atlanta and focus on the playoffs without having to play an extra game. Thoughts?
Ask FSU what its like to put your fate up to the committee....

Absolutely it's still important. Especially given you secure 1st round bye

But losing could take you out of a 1st round bye. Ala UGA.

If I remember what I read correctly, the four byes will be the four higher ranked P5 conference champions. At this point there will only be 4 "power" conferences next year. That would mean the winner of the SEC championship game gets one of the byes. The only team out of the first-round bye is the SEC championship game loser. And if you can't win that game, you don't deserve a bye.

The question to me is what do the rules say if a conference does not officially crown a champion with a game that decides it all. Would the conference say 'who goes' or would the committee make the selection based on the highest ranked conference team or would the committee be free to select any team from any conference?

If I remember what I read correctly, the four byes will be the four higher ranked P5 conference champions. At this point there will only be 4 "power" conferences next year. That would mean the winner of the SEC championship game gets one of the byes. The only team out of the first-round bye is the SEC championship game loser. And if you can't win that game, you don't deserve a bye.
Gon be some funny chit if all the conf champs have 2 losses and beat undefeated teams in the championship games. May the meltdowns begin.

Reactions: volfan102455
Completely agree. The (stupid) 12-team playoff makes the SEC title game superfluous. I suppose in theory one of the SEC division winners could have two losses, say, and be ranked, say, 10th or 11th--and then if that team loses the SEC title game they don't make the playoff. But far more often than not, you'd think both SEC title contestants would be safely in the playoff. So yea, the game, in my view, should be dropped. You're also adding even more games to the schedule, of course--you're playing a title game and then going into the playoff.

Whose idea was it to have a 12 team playoff when 8 absolutely makes the most sense? The greed/stupidity has spun wildly out of control.
SEC Champion will likely get a bye. That is a pretty damn big deal.

Might be necessary to award the SEC championship to the team with the best record (with tie breakers and such preset) rather than play another game.

Makes too much logical sense and not enough financial sense unfortunately.

Reactions: McDad
Too much money. Game will always be played.

Reactions: hog88
Winning that game will mean a bye week and a home game or two. It still means something. Playing the extra game will be offset by getting to watch the first week.

VN Store

Back