Is the SEC Championship in a 12 team playoff relevant anymore?

I may be in the minority, but I still value an SEC championship immensely and view it as special. In fact, Tennessee could win an SECC without making the expanded playoffs (I know that would be impossible) and I’d still feel the season was a massive success. I look at basketball the same way. If Tennessee can win the regular season or SECT, the season is a success to me, even with a poor NCAAT showing.
The sec title game is huge, if will always mean a lot to win the sec title. If you do that it’s a lot like winning a national championship! GBO

As someone brought up earlier, ATL has a contract with the SEC thru 2030, so the game will be played. I recall seeing that the game was worth something like $50M to ATL and that was several years ago. It's also worth several million to the SEC AND the schools that play AND often a bonus for the coaches of a few hundred thousand.

With that kind of money floating around, no one cares about anything else.

Remember. We love college football because it's all about the educational edification of the students and the school, right? Riiiiiiggght.

Reactions: OrangeShades

"The new 12-team College Football Playoff field will include the six highest-ranked conference champions, which will receive automatic bids. The top four teams will receive a first-round bye to the quarterfinals.

The six highest-ranked teams remaining will round out the 12-team format."

So, YES, the SECCG will still matter. It gives the opportunity to earn an important bye into the 2nd round.
BTW - if you applied the '24 rules to this year there would be 4 teams from the SEC...Bama, Ole Miss, UGA, and Mizzou.

In other words, if we would have handled our stuff against Mizzou then UT would have likely been in the bracket - beat both Mizzou and FLA and definitely would have been in the bracket.
This. Question asked and answered.

That first round bye (almost a lock for the SECC) is CRITICAL.

Perf timing in 2024 with Nico under center.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Might be necessary to award the SEC championship to the team with the best record (with tie breakers and such preset) rather than play another game.

But what if the two teams both have the same overall record and the one that doesn't "win the tie breaker" is the higher ranked team? The rankings are still separate from the official conference champ. Example - let's say Tennessee and Texas have the same record. In the rankings Tennessee is 3 and Texas is 5. The SEC uses a tie breaker system instead of a game and the tie breaker goes to Texas - Texas gets the bye, Tennessee is one of the 6 at large teams even though they are ranked higher.

Tie breakers can sometimes yield very unexpected results.

The SEC can crown a champion without ever playing a championship game. Playing one can only hurt playoff seeding for 1 team, not help.

It will clearly define who is the best team in the conference. One of the teams is not getting a bye. One team will get a bye. Not sure why folks are so against the two best teams playing for the bye.

It will be acceptable until the team you support doesn't have the chance to earn that spot on the field and has the same record as the team that gets the bye and beat the team that got the bye.

Last edited:
Well since no one here as brought up the only good reason to keep the actual SECCG, I WILL. It would give us the opportunity to beat Alabama 3 times in one year!!!! Beat them in the regular season, we're undefeated, beat them again in the SECCG and because they're Bama, they'd get in with 2 losses to us! Then we beat the snockers out of them for the natty. Anything is worth burning 3 stogies in one year!!!

Well since no one here as brought up the only good reason to keep the actual SECCG, I WILL. It would give us the opportunity to beat Alabama 3 times in one year!!!! Beat them in the regular season, we're undefeated, beat them again in the SECCG and because they're Bama, they'd get in with 2 losses to us! Then we beat the snockers out of them for the natty. Anything is worth burning 3 stogies in one year!!!
LOL - yes but to be honest if there is no championship game, there is no undebatable champion. In the case of two teams that have the same record or a team with 1 more loss than the winner who did not play the winner during the regular season - the champion will be debatable.

Key point - Bama beat UGA. Without the SEC championship game, UGA would have been crowned the champion based on the better record, when as we all saw - they were no match for Bama. I am a believer you win a championship on the field, not on paper by some crazy tie-breaker formulas that prove nothing.

It will clearly define who is the best team in the conference. One of the teams is not getting a bye. One team will get a bye. Not sure why folks are so against the two best teams playing for the bye.

It will be acceptable until the team you support doesn't have the chance to earn that spot on the field and has the same record as the team that gets the bye and beat the team that got the bye.

I'm not against having the championship game, I just think with the 12 team playoff and the power 4 champions getting automatic byes what's the use. It can only hurt not help.

The SEC champion regardless of whether there is a championship game or not is getting a 1st round bye and with the elimination of divisions most likely #2 is getting in the playoffs regardless. If we still had divisions and say one of the division winners had 3-4 losses but managed to pull off an upset in the SECG then yeah that game allowed for a team that wouldn't have gotten in to get in. But now with no divisions the #2 team is getting in most every year.

Brand is all that's left. Win 9 games and be someone and you're in. Win 11 and be the right school and you get a bye.

We can assume the top 2 SEC teams are going to be top 10 nationally and will both most definitely be getting playoff berths. However, we are now expanding to 12 teams, which means that a 3rd or even 4th SEC team would be likely to also get in. GA would be in for sure even after losing in Atlanta, so a 12 team playoff sets up the possibility of yet another rematch. As a coach, it's certainly nice to get an SEC trophy, but you are also risking your guys in a game against a team you could likely have to play again anyway. Attrition is a huge part of the game at that point in the season. You can even see a scenario where it's better to be SEC #3, skip Atlanta and focus on the playoffs without having to play an extra game. Thoughts?
Well I would think that the SEC winner would probably get the easiest path in the playoffs so yeah it still matters, especially if a bye week is involved

As someone brought up earlier, ATL has a contract with the SEC thru 2030, so the game will be played. I recall seeing that the game was worth something like $50M to ATL and that was several years ago. It's also worth several million to the SEC AND the schools that play AND often a bonus for the coaches of a few hundred thousand.

With that kind of money floating around, no one cares about anything else.

Remember. We love college football because it's all about the educational edification of the students and the school, right? Riiiiiiggght.
They will be classified as employees soon enough with a players union and that changes everything

We can assume the top 2 SEC teams are going to be top 10 nationally and will both most definitely be getting playoff berths. However, we are now expanding to 12 teams, which means that a 3rd or even 4th SEC team would be likely to also get in. GA would be in for sure even after losing in Atlanta, so a 12 team playoff sets up the possibility of yet another rematch. As a coach, it's certainly nice to get an SEC trophy, but you are also risking your guys in a game against a team you could likely have to play again anyway. Attrition is a huge part of the game at that point in the season. You can even see a scenario where it's better to be SEC #3, skip Atlanta and focus on the playoffs without having to play an extra game. Thoughts?
Well since money is involved, and the SECCG generates a bunch of it, I doubt it’s going to cease to exist anytime soon. From a pure football and logistical perspective it will become a liability for teams that would be in the playoff even if they lost the game. Injury risk. Extra game whereas other teams get extra time off.

VN Store

Back