Is the SEC still a “southern” conference?

I don’t think Missouri is culturally southern, for the most part, beyond the southern strip near Arkansas. Columbia isn’t Southern. I was there once and a lady told me she missed the South because she used to live in Alabama and learned I live is in TN.

If Missori isn't, what about KY? It was a border state.
I’m talking about modern day. Not 160 years ago. And both KY and MO had confederate governments, soldiers, and stars on the battle flag. Lincoln did some clever political maneuvering to convince those states to stay loyal. And if need be. He was rolling into the state, to arrest the legislature. Like he did in Maryland. In Kentucky the unionist position was “slavery was in the union for 100 years. It’s better protected in the union than a risky confederacy”. Kentucky realized it got duped in about 1863. But it was too late then. The state was occupied and martial law was imposed in 1864, due to Kentuckians becoming confederate guerrillas.

It wasn’t about feeling northern or southern. It was a political decision. Kentucky and Missouri thought staying loyal would protect slavery. It didn’t.

Last edited:
I’ve NEVER forgiven Kentucky for staying “ Yankee “ and leaving our
Northern boarder totally exposed to Northern aggression. I’ve considered
Kentucky and Missouri the “ enemy “ ever since. I can “ hold a grudge “ for
a long time.
Sure, but don’t forget over 90k men from those states, defended our state from Union advances. Not like it would have mattered. Eastern Tennessee wasn’t turning pro-confederate regardless.

Reactions: marvin616
With the inclusion of Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri. Is the SEC still a culturally southern conference?
Certainly not Southeastern anymore but culturally southern yes.

I can see an argument that Texas A&M is a bit southeastern but Texas is as Southwestern as it gets. The demise of the SWAC/SWC/B12 is damn sad.

I don’t think the SEC should define itself by association with the pro-slavery movement. A geographical definition is better - say within a days drive of a central location (maybe Birmingham or Atlanta) to facilitate team and fan travel. By that definition MO, TX, and OK are stretching the criteria.

I don’t think the SEC should define itself by association with the pro-slavery movement. A geographical definition is better - say within a days drive of a central location (maybe Birmingham or Atlanta) to facilitate team and fan travel. By that definition MO, TX, and OK are stretching the criteria.
Yeah I agree. The confederacy ≠ the south

Based on a map....yes. Why wouldn't Texas and Oklahoma be culturally southern? Missouri is an anomaly

Was curious how NC was left out of SEC, and searched...interesting that I think the size of SEC is getting to the point where history could be repeated in some form in the future...

Dr. William Dudley, a chemistry professor at Vanderbilt, answered the call for an affiliation of southern schools. Representatives from seven schools—Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Sewanee, and Vanderbilt—met Dudley on December 22, 1894 at the Kimball House in Atlanta to form the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Association (SIAA), the grandfather of the SEC. The SIAA was formed, according to Dr. Dudley, to provide faculty regulation and control of all college athletics. A year later, 12 more schools were added, including Clemson, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Texas, and Tulane.

The SIAA held together through the 1920 season. At the annual conference on December 10, 1920, a disagreement among the schools took place. The smaller SIAA schools, through their collective vote, passed a rule allowing freshmen players to compete immediately with the varsity and voted down a proposition to abolish a rule that allowed athletes to play summer baseball for money. Additionally, the SIAA had reached 30 members making it very difficult for the schools to play one another and crown a true champion. Led by University of Georgia English professor Dr. S.V. Sanford, 18 schools left to form the Southern Intercollegiate Conference (Southern Conference) on February 25, 1921 in Atlanta. At that point, the SIAA became a conference for small colleges and eventually disbanded in 1942.

The Southern Conference grew to 23 schools by 1932. Again, the league was too big. Dr. Sanford convinced the 13 schools west and south of the Appalachian Mountains—Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Sewanee, Tennessee, Tulane, Vanderbilt–to reorganize as the Southeastern Conference. Play began in 1933. By December 1953, eight other schools—Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest—had left the Southern Conference to form the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Southern Conference survives to this day.

VN Store

Back