Is the SEC still a “southern” conference?

I have lived in the southeast and now live in Missouri. It’s a diverse state with some really nice places to see especially if you enjoy lakes, rivers, trails and caves. I’m not sure I’d say the southern part Missouri is “southern” and I’d definitely not say it’s “garbage”, but it leans closer to being southern than it does with being midwestern. I’ve lived in southern Missouri and now live in the northern part of Missouri and there are definitely major differences between the two parts of the state.

To the degree that presidential voting for specific candidates reflects cultural values at that time...

1948 - 2020
1720388082640.png
edit: Apologies, as in uploading, the graphic got reduced in size and resolution.
Clicking on the arrows by the election year, you can explore this in detail at the site Historical Presidential Election Map Timeline - 270toWin

Last edited:
You know who the first President of the Republic of Texas was, after it gained independence from Mexico? Sam Houston. A Tennessean. He was also the third President of the Republic. He was also its Governor a bit later, after it joined the US. He was also one of its Senators to Washington, DC.

Sam Houston grew up in Maryville, just outside Knoxville. He was born in Virginia, but moved with his mom, brothers and sisters to Tennessee after his dad died when he was a teen.

So is Texas culture southern culture? Hell, yes. Injected into the state's veins at birth. It has never been anything but, ever since it escaped Mexico.

Oklahoma is a LOT about the Cherokee Indians. You know, the ones who came from Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee, and were forced west along what became known as the Trail of Tears, to their new reservation home? Right. In Oklahoma.

So there's a lot of Tennessee culture (albeit the native American sort) in that state, too. "Tennessee" is, after all, taken from the Cherokee language, having been the name of one of their villages.

Yes, there's a lot of "south" in Texas and Oklahoma. A whole lot. And particularly a lot of Tennessee. It's where they both came from.

Go Vols!

I have lived in the southeast and now live in Missouri. It’s a diverse state with some really nice places to see especially if you enjoy lakes, rivers, trails and caves. I’m not sure I’d say the southern part Missouri is “southern” and I’d definitely not say it’s “garbage”, but it leans closer to being southern than it does with being midwestern. I’ve lived in southern Missouri and now live in the northern part of Missouri and there are definitely major differences between the two parts of the state.
Just to augment to your appropriately detailed assessment of Missouri, I'll add that in 1962
Jed Clampett moved from southern Missouri to California.

You know who the first President of the Republic of Texas was, after it gained independence from Mexico? Sam Houston. A Tennessean. He was also the third President of the Republic. He was also its Governor a bit later, after it joined the US. He was also one of its Senators to Washington, DC.

Sam Houston grew up in Maryville, just outside Knoxville. He was born in Virginia, but moved with his mom, brothers and sisters to Tennessee after his dad died when he was a teen.

So is Texas culture southern culture? Hell, yes. Injected into the state's veins at birth. It has never been anything but, ever since it escaped Mexico.

Oklahoma is a LOT about the Cherokee Indians. You know, the ones who came from Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee, and were forced west along what became known as the Trail of Tears, to their new reservation home? Right. In Oklahoma.

So there's a lot of Tennessee culture (albeit the native American sort) in that state, too. "Tennessee" is, after all, taken from the Cherokee language, having been the name of one of their villages.

Yes, there's a lot of "south" in Texas and Oklahoma. A whole lot. And particularly a lot of Tennessee. It's where they both came from.

Go Vols!
There's a Chattanooga, Oklahoma, reflecting that Cherokee forced migration. My great grandmother was Cherokee, and her first name was Tennessee.

Oil money has turned Texas into a prodigal son. Maybe entrance into SEC competition will be the beginning of its humbling and returning to the fold.

Is the SEC still a “southern” conference?​

Duh! Does the Pope French kiss the ground of a country he really loves??

I’ve NEVER forgiven Kentucky for staying “ Yankee “ and leaving our
Northern boarder totally exposed to Northern aggression. I’ve considered
Kentucky and Missouri the “ enemy “ ever since. I can “ hold a grudge “ for
a long time.
“Northern aggression”? What an ignorant take. I take a lot of pride in that my ancestors and my county(a TN border county btw 😉) made the right decision.

Better get Clemson & Fsu if Enhancement is the goal.
spin_prod_ec_791415401

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Texas is about as Southern as it gets.

Once you get outside the folks in Austin, rest of the state is quite fond of Tennesseans and the role they played in their states background.

Oklahoma-and I say this not as in insult, but as a demonstration of how closely the two states are linked in all things-will do whatever Texas does.

Missouri-blech. Sorry but that place has got to be the most woebegone spot on the map outside of Arkansas and Kansas

Can we trade them for someone else, seriously? I don't care if they call themselves Southern or not-I just don't want them affiliated with me in any way, shape, or form

I’ve NEVER forgiven Kentucky for staying “ Yankee “ and leaving our
Northern boarder totally exposed to Northern aggression. I’ve considered
Kentucky and Missouri the “ enemy “ ever since. I can “ hold a grudge “ for
a long time.
Christ on his throne!!!! You're holding some arbitrary grudge over something that happened 160 years ago, before you were even born? That is THE pettiest **** I have ever heard!

Christ on his throne!!!! You're holding some arbitrary grudge over something that happened 160 years ago, before you were even born? That is THE pettiest **** I have ever heard!

Some folks literally never stopped fighting the civil war. I never could understand it, personally. I'm as southern as it gets. My 3x great grandfather was an infantryman with the 5th regiment of TN during the war, but I can't say I've ever felt any personal connection to the confederacy. Time moves on, but a lot of people do not.

Some folks literally never stopped fighting the civil war. I never could understand it, personally. I'm as southern as it gets. My 3x great grandfather was an infantryman with the 5th regiment of TN during the war, but I can't say I've ever felt any personal connection to the confederacy. Time moves on, but a lot of people do not.
I had confederate family in KY and TN (grandfathers and uncles in the 6thKY CSA, 28thTN CSA, and 13thTN Cav CSA). It’s weird how people think states seceded because they felt “southern” or “northern”. It’s one of the dumbest myths about the war. It was a political decision. Based on slavery. States didn’t secede or not because they felt “yankee” or “southern”. Arizona was claimed by the confederacy. That’s not a southern state, that’s a slave territory. And it just so happened that all the slave states were in the south.

It’s no different than red and blue states today.

But yeah, people can’t move on. Lee wanted all the statues torn down, flags to be tucked away.

I had confederate family in KY and TN (grandfathers and uncles in the 6thKY CSA, 28thTN CSA, and 13thTN Cav CSA). It’s weird how people think states seceded because they felt “southern” or “northern”. It’s one of the dumbest myths about the war. It was a political decision. Based on slavery. States didn’t secede or not because they felt “yankee” or “southern”. Arizona was claimed by the confederacy. That’s not a southern state, that’s a slave territory. And it just so happened that all the slave states were in the south.

It’s no different than red and blue states today.

But yeah, people can’t move on. Lee wanted all the statues torn down, flags to be tucked away.

I largely agree with that first paragraph. It was very politically and economically motivated, specifically by the wealthy. The "War of Northern Aggression" was an affront to the southern aristocracy, not the poor white/black folks who did most of the fighting and dying.

I largely agree with that first paragraph. It was very politically and economically motivated, specifically by the wealthy. The "War of Northern Aggression" was an affront to the southern aristocracy, not the poor white/black folks who did most of the fighting and dying.
Tennessee’s secession vote may have been rigged. I read in a book that the secessionists used armed guards, to influence the vote of middle Tennessee. The chapter was titled “the confederate state that never was” or something along those lines.

VN Store

Back