Is the SEC still a “southern” conference?

Thinking about it, and not meaning any disrespect to the Catholic Faith, if a state has a major Catholic University, it's not a Southern state.

Again, no disrespect, it's just part of noticing that despite DC being below the Mason-Dixon, Georgetown and Catholic University of America simply couldn't be further from the South.
Mason-Dixon was not drawn as a reference to define north and south. It was drawn long before the civil war to resolve a border dispute with PA, MD, VA, DE back in the 1700's. It's purpose was the give the ole king in England the info he need to propose a compromise.

It's a fool's quest to call a place Southern based on geography. People move. Migrate all over. They bring some things and absorb new things.

Buck Owens was born in TX but left for the Southwest as a kid. He was based in Bakersfield CA most of his life. He can't be Southern, can he?

His protege, Dwight Yoakam, is Appalachian boy who spent most of his coming of age in Columbus, Ohio then failed to find anything for himself in Nashville and found recording success in that great southern city called Los Angeles. That's not country, is it?

Of course they're country.

It ain't geography. It'll never be geography that defines Southern.

Reactions: the lost33
The only Southeastern state that does not have a conference membership is North Carolina and there are many schools to choose from.

When you put the "LOL" next to "Virginia's?" .... I interpret that to mean that you don't think any part of Virginia fits the southern culture.

If you have spent time in Lynchburg, home of Liberty University .... Virginia definitely belongs in the "Some parts" category.
A lot of VN users have never left their hometown but yes Virginia is a southern state who founded the south. Just because federal agents in DC moved to the north tip doesn't subtract the fact that Virginia was the most southern culturally state for 100+ years lol. If Virginia isn't the south then east tennessee (the vols) definitely isn't either. Literally every metric we define southern as comes from Virginia. Can't think of a single exception beyond delta blues or some oddball ****.

A lot of VN users have never left their hometown but yes Virginia is a southern state who founded the south. Just because federal agents in DC moved to the north tip doesn't subtract the fact that Virginia was the most southern culturally state for 100+ years lol. If Virginia isn't the south then east tennessee (the vols) definitely isn't either. Literally every metric we define southern as comes from Virginia. Can't think of a single exception beyond delta blues or some oddball ****.

The issue is that now Virginia is composed more in the bold than traditional Virginias/Southerners

Same happened to New England where the classic Puritan population is, for the most part, minimized now in favor of immigrants from other European nations that arrived in late 19th Century and on.

Reactions: 207 others
A good friend of mine from college, who I've stayed in touch with over the years, is originally from Lynchburg. I went to his family reunion back in 2001 and it was a memorable experience. It was the closest thing I feel like I've ever actually been to "Mayberry," and I mean that in the nicest possible way. If that's not southern culture, then I don't know what southern culture is.

Based on a map....yes. Why wouldn't Texas and Oklahoma be culturally southern? Missouri is an anomaly
Oddly enough people I know from Missouri share a lot of cultural and heritage similarities. My DNA test also told me I share the most DNA with ppl from TN and Missouri.

So they get a pass. 😂

LOL don’t tell them that the Capital of the Confederacy was Richmond, VA.

Reactions: 207 others
A good friend of mine from college, who I've stayed in touch with over the years, is originally from Lynchburg. I went to his family reunion back in 2001 and it was a memorable experience. It was the closest thing I feel like I've ever actually been to "Mayberry," and I mean that in the nicest possible way. If that's not southern culture, then I don't know what southern culture is.
God bless you sir 🙏 sounds like wonderful memories! I lived about 40 minutes north of lynchburg 40 minutes south of Charlottesville in the peak of Virginia's blue ridge mountains Lord was it hillbilly heaven

Reactions: BowlBrother85
The issue is that now Virginia is composed more in the bold than traditional Virginias/Southerners

Same happened to New England where the classic Puritan population is, for the most part, minimized now in favor of immigrants from other European nations that arrived in late 19th Century and on.
You're damn right sir. Right on the money. Georgia is also having that problem looking at their elections

So, if I’m getting the gist, adding Texas and Oklahoma means that the SEC is leading CFB in the mainstreaming of special needs universities.
Dude, really? Have some damn class and leave special needs out of it. That sounds like something a imbred, trailer trash bammwr would say!

Reactions: 508mikey
Dude, really? Have some damn class and leave special needs out of it. That sounds like something a imbred, trailer trash bammwr would say!
Please, search for your sense of humor. There are special needs persons in my family. They didn’t attend UT and make fun of my Orangeness from time to time. None of us are Bammers.

VN Store

Back