I've got your attrition #'s

OK 99Gator, here is the deal, if you are serious about atoning for your past sins, I will wipe your slate clean if you take Jimmy Cheek back to Florida!!!! :peace2::peace2::peace2::peace2::peace2::peace2:

There are two kinds of rival fans who routinely post on your board.

Those that tell you that you are going to lose to us again.

And those that tell you why you are going to lose to us again.

99 is in the latter category.

Reactions: 1 person

We have two kinds of Florida Fans On this Board.

Those that hang around and post with good ole Tennessee fans because they know how bad florida fans suck

And those that hang around and wonder what year we start kicking Gator teeth in again.

We have two kinds of Florida Fans On this Board.

Those that hang around and post with good ole Tennessee fans because they know how bad florida fans suck

And those that hang around and wonder what year we start kicking Gator teeth in again.

I'd say 99 is in the earlier there. He seems like he would be likable if it weren't for that gator.

Still, give me Butch over the angry frat boy any day.

Attachments

• 3rgyq5.jpg
    3rgyq5.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 3 people
Back to stars. Here we go again. But seriously we do have some Really talented kids. Tiny, for example, could be a top 10 draft pick as a jr. He's as elite as they come. And cp wasn't rated by some because of juco but obviously was as elite as they come. On Defense, Johnson and Magitt were highly regarded, as was jaques smith and Cory miller. True we have many voids and will take several years of stability to get things back on par with our primary rivals, but to say we have no five star players doesn't totally represent the talent we have/have had of late. Well just have to see who develops and what the new staff brings. Coaching does matter though. We've had many years with very comparitave "stars" to our rivals and lost to all of them.

Back to stars. Here we go again. But seriously we do have some Really talented kids. Tiny, for example, could be a top 10 draft pick as a jr. He's as elite as they come. And cp wasn't rated by some because of juco but obviously was as elite as they come. On Defense, Johnson and Magitt were highly regarded, as was jaques smith and Cory miller. True we have many voids and will take several years of stability to get things back on par with our primary rivals, but to say we have no five star players doesn't totally represent the talent we have/have had of late. Well just have to see who develops and what the new staff brings. Coaching does matter though. We've had many years with very comparitave "stars" to our rivals and lost to all of them.

i think some of you are going to be shocked by how much of the failure was a blend of coaching and lack of talent.

i will use my own team here as an example.

when florida's offense went in the tank in 2010, people blamed steve addazio. they blamed urban meyer for being absent on the job. people even defended john brantley because the offense in 2009 went downhill and tebow was still around. in 2011, they blamed brantley. they blamed jabba the hut (charlie weis). in 2012, another new offensive coordinator comes along and a new qb comes to town. the offense still isn't very good.

and in all that time, very few (if any) offensive players made the all sec team. very few (if any) offensive players were drafted in the nfl draft. very few who are still around are viewed as future nfl draft picks (at least not high draft picks). and the few guys who did perform were recognized and were drafted. and if and when they pick it up, it will be because there are some new players that come along and emerge. not the current crop that have been around a few years and all of a sudden magically get coached up. it will be a new crop of guys.

so, to apply this to tennessee. there have been multiple position coaches, multiple coordinators, etc, etc, etc. guys like tiny richardson, justin hunter, cordarelle patterson, mychal rivera, etc, etc, etc, who performed at a high level or reasonably high level despite whatever the coaching staff was doing. if tennessee didn't wear jerseys that had names and numbers, you would have been able to identify eric berry from the other players on the field.

so, i know coaching is a big deal. i'd be lying if it wasn't. but, usually, great players are great players. they don't stink for one coach and all of a sudden look great for another. that happens. i'm not going to say it's never happened. but, it's rare.

Last edited:
Attrition numbers taken alone seem staggering. As I have tried to communicate though, comparative attrition is less shocking. There are schools suffering slight attrition who fail, and schools suffering large attrition who succeed.

I don't feel like breaking down all of the numbers for you, but I have done enough other evaluation to see that attrition has to either be similar across the board, or has only a slight effect on the actual outcome of seasonal predictions based on talent averages.

Here is an interesting message board post that addresses this situation with some actual data. I haven't taken the time to break down the numbers, but at first blush it seems legitimate.

College Football attrition rates at other schools

The data is obviously a few years old, but you get the general idea that all schools on some level suffer from higher attrition than one would assume.

Last edited:
i think some of you are going to be shocked by how much of the failure was a blend of coaching and lack of talent.

Most UT fans are aware of the, comparatively, low talent issue. I think a lot of the Vol faithful are overestimating this season based on the appearance of a seemingly competent coaching staff and a bit of roster shuffling based on graduation/draft attrition. What it really comes down to is whether or not this next recruiting class can deliver. Coach Jones has quite the uphill battle ahead of him, but keeping this next class together and making a bowl game would be two very positive steps.

You guys let these Gators take the wind out of your sail! To hell with what a stupid gator fan thinks we'll go toe to toe with florida this year and then we'll see how far we are in talent!

main points to discussion
1. teams that consistently recruit in the top 5 are just going to be better regardless of who is coaching them. Tennessee has been ranked in bottom half of sec in recruiting and the results on the field reflect that.
2. avg coaching gets u 1 extra win above talent alone. above avg 2 n so on.

now compare what dools was doing vs. results n the outcome was there for all of us to see from year 0.

recruiting is 90% of it imo.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but Brent Brewer was a three star player when he initially signed with FSU some years ago.

You guys aren't very good so I wouldn't worry too much about how good Tennessee is, or recruiting rankings. You are very capable of losing to Tennessee or Lafayette.

so assuming the OP is correct on the numbers we will have 27 4 stars on the actual roster this Spring - my guess is in the East that would put us 3rd behind FLA and GA - i did a quick look at SCjr over the past 4 years and if they had zero attrition their number would be 27 so i am assuming they had to lose at least some of those guys

ahead of vandy, UK, MO, SCjr

if we finish 3rd in the east i would be very happy

That is a lot of lost talent, especially at our 3 areas of biggest need, QB, WR, and DB.

i hear you.

but, at the same time, why do you think most people agree that vanderbilt reached its ceiling?

We'll see. All I know is that all of our 4 stars and draft picks got routed by Vanderbilt last year. If that's not coaching, I don't know what is.

VN Store

Back