Jake Merklinger

You guys remember the days of who was QB2 behind Guarantano...yeah we're in a good position now.

My two cents - FWIW - 2025 is Nico, Merk, McIntyre. 2026 is Merk, McIntyre, Faison. 2027 is Merk, McIntyre, Faison again. 2028 is McIntyre, Faison, new guy.
I'd be more concerned with Faison transferring than McIntyre or Merklinger.
Mcintyre and Merk will see the starting job within a couple of years of being on campus - if everyone is as good as advertised, it might be 3 years or more before Faison sees the starting job.

Regardless we will not be keeping Merklinger AND McIntyre AND Faison. But this is a GOOD problem to have. Someone will transfer because having 2 good QBs in staff is all we need. And there will be lots of good competition so regardless we will be keeping the best of the bunch in Kville!
I think teams should be allowed to trade now. We could exchange one of our QB prospects for an all-American CB. Hey, the viewxare already out of the barn with everything else too, why not this?

Why would he be QB2 now? He won’t be getting in the next games because most blowouts are over. He can play in 4 and redshirt.
That number is technically 8.
4 regular season games + SEC Championship game + 3 College Football Playoff games.
However, I doubt that the staff is concerned about redshirting him. I think they will burn the redshirt without blinking an eye if the development of Jake's understanding of the offense grows.
I suspect their primary concern is to avoid putting him in a position in which he cannot excel.

Does Merklinger hit the portal in a year or two? I think he has all the potential in the world to be a starting QB for someone I just don’t know if it’s us. With MacIntyre coming in and Faizon a year after that I don’t see Merklinger sticking around.
Stop with this crap. It will work itself out

Does Merklinger hit the portal in a year or two? I think he has all the potential in the world to be a starting QB for someone I just don’t know if it’s us. With MacIntyre coming in and Faizon a year after that I don’t see Merklinger sticking around.
Yes. It isn't. He won't.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA, in the word of Jack Oswald White.
I was pooh-poohed for darning to say the Gas Man could take over. Mocked that Merklinger was superior. Despite Gas having more and longer knowledge of the Heup system. It just made sense. Sure enough, he has outplayed Merklinger when Nico sat. I think the Merk is a darn fine QB, frosh or not, but the gas station attendant is better acquainted with the station's operations.
I lived in Hilton Head when Gaston was playing hs ball. His work ethic and character seem to be quite good. He has developed beyond what almost any one of us would have guessed. Love this young man's journey. And I would trust him this year if needed. Is he Nico? No, but he has a history and proven film.

Or maybe he lights the world on fire and the other two leave.

I watched a Knox radio podcast and one of the pundits basically implied that there was a difference between JH showing Moore loyalty in blowouts and what the actual scenario would be if..... God forbid I wont even say it. Zero idea if its true.
I don’t buy that. Merklinger didn’t run things as well as Moore when he got in. Granted, Merk was playing with backups and we called the dogs off by slowing down but still. Moore just looks different right now, which is to be expected. Plus, just common sense-wise, if Coach were going with Merk as the backup in a true need situation why wouldn’t we be giving our true freshman QB valuable game reps? That’s just people trying to create controversy for listeners.

One thing for sure the way Heupel came through his journey as a QB he will do the right thing in picking the starter. So everyone will get the fair chance. Will some look better in practice where others are gamers. Yes that happens it has to sort itself out in that situation. He's been through that with Joe & Hooker where Joe had more pure eye ball best of the 2 in practice but come live action where everything is at hyper speed Hooker rose to the top. Hopefully that experience will aid Heupel if it rears its head again.

How do you know GMac will be better than Merk?
The same way one doesn’t know if Merk will be better than GMac. In other words, we are nothing more than fans in one camp or another at this point.

Merk looks raw while GMac will probably look that way next year. Neither one will look like as polished as Nico did last year or likely Faizon will look when he arrives.

The ultimate goal for these kids is the NFL. CJH has shown he can take Hooker who was rejected by VaTech, and turn him into a Heisman candidate. He can take Milton (who was written off by everyone) and in 1 year, gets him drafted.

All you need is one year. CJH has the resume. The players just have to trust him.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Jake needs to develop as a young QB. It’s not going to hurt him to learn from Nico. And Heupel is a true QB developer.. Long gone are the days of sitting the bench for a few years, waiting on the time to shine.

VN Store

Back