Jamal Wallace commits to the vols

The thing is....JUCO guys are now bigger liabilities than they used to be. Why?

Because a few years ago, if a player was unhappy where he was, he would go down to JUCO for a year, then transfer where he wanted, and he wouldn't have to lose a year of not playing.

Now? If a player is in JUCO it is likely because it's the only place they can go. They have issues with grades or discipline or something else. Because otherwise, they'd just transfer somewhere else.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, I just can't think of why a player would be in JUCO now with the portal being a thing unless it was for academics. I think people (including me) have forgotten how big an impact the portal had on JUCO. honestly, I had forgotten about them until now.

Because a few years ago, if a player was unhappy where he was, he would go down to JUCO for a year, then transfer where he wanted, and he wouldn't have to lose a year of not playing.

Now? If a player is in JUCO it is likely because it's the only place they can go. They have issues with grades or discipline or something else. Because otherwise, they'd just transfer somewhere else.

Maybe I'm wrong about that, I just can't think of why a player would be in JUCO now with the portal being a thing unless it was for academics. I think people (including me) have forgotten how big an impact the portal had on JUCO. honestly, I had forgotten about them until now.
He was in JUCO before the new paradigm so your analogy doesn’t apply.

A lot of big name schools are hitting the portal hard with good success.
There’s no doubt a lot of money is being spent for 1 year rental players. Only time will tell if it’s the right decision thou.

There is a reason this post has zero likes. Get real dude.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Says he is 304lbs now
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Gandalf
I don't think schools are overlooking any level. If a guy can play, they'll find him.
It’s been said by people in the CFB industry that the portal is hurting JC & high school kids. But who are they, right.

It’s been said by people in the CFB industry that the portal is hurting JC & high school kids. But who are they, right.
I think the portal impacts both, but I still believe the foundation is the HS kid. Gotta use 'em all these days though. One thing the portal has hurt is the so-called grace period for new coaches to build a roster and turn a program around. I used to think 5 years. Now I suspect 3 is the new number. Maybe it's Kiffy vs Prime time for the ring next year because of their portal success, but I doubt teams that live in the portal will become a successful model.

There’s no doubt a lot of money is being spent for 1 year rental players. Only time will tell if it’s the right decision thou.
Welp, worked for Ole Miss last year----10-2 after finishing #23 in 247 recruiting. Tennessee finished #10 in recruiting and 8-4 on the season. There was a bunch of talk about SCar hemoraghing current rosters, but they and Kiffin are hitting the portal hard--with quality players. Brave new world...free agency. Hopefully, Heupel will wake up this summer.

Or... it could be that some kids are 190lbs out of HS and aren't ready for D1 football for a few years.

Reactions: TNHopeful505
A lot of big name schools are hitting the portal hard with good success.
If getting their name on the line is success, yes. If they are improving the team, that is TBD. Will be interesting to see if other pieces in those rooms hit the portal in both windows, and what the net impact is. If they are low hanging fruit then it is still a win, if they were in the two deep and just NIL or depth chart disgruntled, not so much. Late entries more than early entries will give us the NET impact of transfers answers. So we got to wait to give grades. Lot more moving parts in today's kids hold all the cards NIL Portal world. I am really going to be watching the quantity and quality of portal entries, post bowl game to Jan 2, and then in May as well.

Reactions: DonDiego
Has to be a different guy
What's crazy is that it is the same dude. He was a 190lb DB and gained over 100 pounds in one year. He basically played as a standup LEO last year. He has some intriguing qualities but will have to learn how to play with his hand in the ground as a true DL. He is quick twitch but reminds of a raw ONL.

Hard to be excited about a player we snatched from the grasps of the Memphis Tigers. Produce during the offseason, make the coaches love you, play your ass off next Fall and then, then only can we talk.

1702917960101.png

Sorry, but this is not adding the level of talent needed to beat the UGA's and Bama's of college football. You cannot base your additions on finding diamonds in the rough and expect to compete for championships. The bottom line is, this staff and our NIL collective ain't getting the job done.

Reactions: Volnbeers

VN Store

Back