Jerry Green

Whoa! Gunner and ALLVOL have decided to win this debate AT ALL COSTS! which should make TNVOLS1 really mad! Stay tuned to see if Jim Haslam unsips out of his TNVOLS1 suit and responds...actually, underneath it all it is Lady in Orange pretending to be Pat Summitt, pretending to be Jim Haslam, pretending to be TNVOLS1...boy I must be bored!...Just kidding folks!

Green, never embraced by the fans, didn't take kindly to the mounting criticism. He even told fans on the UT-sponsored ''VolCalls'' radio program to ''go to the Kmart'' if they didn't want to come to games.

''I just never was sure what the administration wanted, what the campus community wanted, what the big-time boosters wanted,'' Green said. ''I do believe it wasn't Doug Dickey's idea to fire me. He's just the one who had to carry it out.''

Green said he had an inkling he might be in trouble in the weeks leading up to Vols' NCAA Tournament game against Charlotte. He said he ran into Jim Haslam at a business function and received a frosty reception from UT's most prominent booster.

''He would not look me in the eye,'' Green said. ''That was the only time I'd ever known Jim Haslam not to look me in the eye, and my wheels started to spin.''

After the Vols lost in the NCAA Tournament, Green said Dickey followed him home from the airport the next day.

''It wasn't the best time to do an evaluation of the season, but it was obvious he wanted it done quickly,'' Green said. ''Again, it wasn't Doug Dickey making that call. It came from the guy (Gilley) who came in for a year and got fired.

The Vols lost 10 of their last 16 games during Green's final season at Tennessee after starting the year 16-1 and soaring to fourth nationally in the polls.

Beat Kentucky regularly NOT QUITE he was esssential no better than his predecessors in that respect and that is FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Win at all cost yes, Green had NO CONTROL over his team and that is FACT.

Green was no better than Houston as a recruiter and that is FACT!

Green had no use for UT Administration, Boosters or Fans and proved it with his comments and that is FACT.

Here's another fact for you if he had stayed he would not have went to the NCAA Tournament the last 4 years and that is FACT!

Jerry Green

''I might not be winning as many games as I did back then, but I still get my check from them the first day of every year.''

So THAT'S what somebody meant when they talked about getting Jerry Green off the payroll!!!

:hello2:

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Mar 8, 2005 11:57 AM
actually, underneath it all it is Lady in Orange pretending to be Pat Summitt,

I am not pretending.

Wanna see my new ring??

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 8, 2005 5:09 PM
Beat Kentucky regularly NOT QUITE he was esssential no better than his predecessors in that respect and that is FACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green had no use for UT Administration, Boosters or Fans and proved it with his comments and that is FACT.

Here's another fact for you if he had stayed he would not have went to the NCAA Tournament the last 4 years and that is FACT!

Okay then, let me take them one by one since you called me out :yikes: ....

Here are the FACTS. And I guarantee you that the Wildcats are much happier with Buzz than they were with Jerry Green. However I'm sure they would rather have the predecessors better.

I still have not forgotten the beatings that the Vols took under O'Neill. He never beat Kentucky (0-6) while at Tennessee, here they are...
1/25/95 at #5 Kentucky, Loss 50-69
2/08/95 #6 Kentucky, Loss 48-68
1/13/96 #2 Kentucky, Loss 44-61
2/17/96 at #2 Kentucky, Loss 50-90
1/04/97 at #3 Kentucky, Loss 40-74
2/25/97 #3 Kentucky, Loss 64-74

And although Houston did better than O'Neill versus Kentucky, there was no consistancy to it... and the 61 point loss still hurts :blink: ....
1/20/90 at Kentucky L 83-95
2/21/90 Kentucky W 102-100
1/12/91 #11 Kentucky L 74-78
2/13/91 at #16 Kentucky L 74-85
1/21/92 #8 Kentucky W 107-85
3/07/92 at #10 Kentucky L 88-99
1/09/93 at #2 Kentucky L 70-84
2/24/93 #2 Kentucky W 78-77
3/12/93 #4 Kentucky L 40-101
1/15/94 at #8 Kentucky L 74-93
2/23/94 #7 Kentucky L 73-77

After losing 9 straight times to Kentucky, Green brough enthusiasm, but the Vols still lost both times his first season. However, the win over Kentucky in Lexington in '99 created a confindence that the Vols could compete with the best. The Vols won 3-of-4 games over Kentucky in 2 seasons. The best part was that the Vols won both games when the SEC EAST was to be decided. The Vols finished 1st in the EAST both seasons and won the SEC outright in one of those seasons.

Jerry Green versus Kentucky
1997-1998 (20-9, 9-7 3rd EAST)
1/24/98 #7 Kentucky, Loss 67-85
2/11/98 at #7 Kentucky, Loss 74-80

1998-1999 (21-9, 12-4 1st EAST)
1/12/99 at #6 Kentucky, WIN 47-46
2/28/99 #8 Kentucky, WIN 68-61

1999-2000 (26-7, 12-4 1st EAST)
2/01/00 at #14 Kentucky, Loss 68-81
2/23/00 #18 Kentucky, WIN 74-67

2000-2001 (22-11, 8-8 4th EAST)
1/16/01 at Kentucky, Loss 74-84
2/14/01 #22 Kentucky, Loss 95-103

You better support that with some info dude. And not just Tony Harris running out onto the court. I mean give us something substantial. Fulmer has to deal with guns, drugs, rape, tutorgate..... I don't recall any such incidents with the basketball team while Green was there. If Harris running onto the court is all you've got... I've seen worse in church basketball leagues.

Let's see.... Houston had 1 recruit make it the the NBA in 5 seasons at UT. Oh, and guess what? It was his own son -- real hard recruiting job.

Green had 2 players drafted and play in the NBA (Haislip and Yarbrough) as well as bringing in Ron Slay (SEC MVP). Isaiah Victor was pretty solid too.

So I guess I say your are WRONG in this case too.

I'm sure his comments on the radio show were more towards bandwagon fans like yourself. The fans that called to complain because 20 wins was not enough. Well, how do those fans like the current state of Vols basketball?!? I myself was not offended by his comments at the time, because I hate fair weather fans.

WRONG. Especially since crystal balls don't equate fact. However, that is your opinion and I guess you are entitled to it. My opinion is that had Green stayed, the Vols program would still be solid and still competing with Kentucky for the SEC EAST each season. He would have definately done better than 15-16 for the 2001-02 season.

hmm..... I haven't been paying attention to this topic much but it really looks like yall really have some diffrent views on this topic. The way I see it we should have kept him. At least we won. Something we ain't doing right now. I think we all have to agree that we made a mistake by getting rid of him.

i don't think it was a mistake getting rid of the guy. i can remember getting sick to my stomach watching a 20win tenn team fold in the 1st round of the ncaa tourney on more than one occasion. it wasn't even the fact that they lost, it's that they didn't even play hard in what is supposed to be the best month of college bb. He had a team FULL of knuckle heads, if you remember- Peterson had to get rid of half of the team when he took over for disciplinary reasons. I read Green's interview in the Tennessean, he had some valid points- but he fail to mention he had no control over Tony Harris(TH never developed as a player after his freshman yr)and other problem players. I only remember seeing designed play(the backdoor screen from the point to someone, usually haislip resulting in a dunk). I think in one ncaa tourney game against NC(close game towards the end in the 2nd half), at a timeout before the camera split away, you could hear their coach say something to the effect "just keep doing what you're doing, they'll fall apart." Coach Greene had a point when he said that maybe Tn doesn't want a 3rd top tier program. I dont think it would be hard to attract a Good coach and talent. Greene's 20 win teams where loaded with talent from TENNESSEE.

So lets see. Which would you take: a 20 win season and get knocked out of the first round, or not even winning half our games. If you rather say that it was good that we fired green to get Buzz, you are dead wrong. ANd yes our team was loaded, but buzz had the same team his first year when he came here and we all saw how that ended up, so obviously he was doing some coaching.

Victor was a Kevin O'Neill recruit.

and I'm tired of this the Green lovers can see no wrong in what he done and those are facts also. He was a blight to UT and a horses ass! Got what he deserved. BYE

hey Im not saying I supported what he did. But he sure is looking good right now after what were getting with Buzz. This is proably what we get for not setteling on going to the ncaa tournament and wanting more.

oh yeah and even though victor wasn't recruited by green, He sure was taught the game of basketball by him.

Originally posted by vols2345@Mar 8, 2005 6:45 PM
So lets see. Which would you take: a 20 win season and get knocked out of the first round, or not even winning half our games. If you rather say that it was good that we fired green to get Buzz, you are dead wrong. ANd yes our team was loaded, but buzz had the same team his first year when he came here and we all saw how that ended up, so obviously he was doing some coaching.

Look, 20 win seasons are good- obviously better than what we have now. It's not a matter of choosing between Green and Peterson. We should focus on hiring a coach with the discipline of a Buzz and the winning capability of a Green. I've watched UT bb every since i was a kid in the middle 80's, and i can't figure out why it is so hard to find a good freakin coach and to recruit quality players. We have a 25G seat arena, enough $$$ to sign who we need, and every year there's at least 2-5 players who sign out of state to play who are D1 caliber players. I'm don't care who was better Green or Buzz neither of them fit well with TN

Yep Victor was O'Neal's recruit. I would still argue that Green recruited better than Buzz has so far. You could add Terence Woods to the list for Green and Crump since he has been one of Buzz's best players.

Well golf fans, or we should be golf fans at this point, Gunner :machinegun: and ALLVOL :question: riddled TNVOLS1 with the truth of the stats! and just when you thought TNVOLS1 was dead, he arose like Haslam, I mean a god, and destroyed the competition. Asked later how he was able to defeat such well armed combatants, TNVOLS1 said, "It was really quite simple, If I believe it, it's the truth, so I win". :bow: :worship:

The so-called truth that TNVOLS1 speaks comes from the side of his mouth.

Victor NEVER played for O'Neill. He was a 4-year starter for Jerry Green. Just like Harris, Green had to get these guys to sign when he got to Tennessee. O'Neill may have laid the groundwork in recruiting but never signed them.... they ultimately were re-recruited and signed by Green.

Now, Charles Hathaway... the guy selling his ring on Ebay.... he was an O'Neill recruit.

The only starters from O'Neill's final team in '96-'97 (which finished 11-16) to start for Green in '97-'98 (finished 20-9) were Brandon Wharton and CJ Black.

There were only 2 players that did not return to play for Buzz when he arrived at Tennessee: Terence Woods and Harris Walker.

My understanding is that Walker failed a drug test and Woods just transferred.

Woods transferred to Florida A&M and was one of the top 3-point shooters in the nation his final 2 seasons. He averaged over 20 pts per game and helped lead A&M to the NCAA tournament. Funny how he had a better shot of making the NCAA tournament at Florida A&M than he did playing for Buzz at UT. :blink:
a-woods031104.jpg

Woods, a Memphis, Tennessee native, has been NCAA Division One's top three-point shooter in each of the past two seasons. Last year, the mercurial guard hit 139 treys (4.96 per game), helping FAMU to its' first winning season (17-12) in 10 years.  The 6-3 senior hit 140 treys this season (4.5 per game), helping lead Florida A&M to the 2004 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Tournament title, an NCAA Tournament victory over Lehigh (Pa.) and a torrid duel against the top-seeded University of Kentucky Wildcats in the St. Louis Regionals. Careerwise, Woods finished with 353 three-pointers, 11th all-time among NCAA Division One three-point shooters, and he stands fourth (140 in 2004) and fifth (139 in 2003) all-time in single-season three-point shooting performances.

I've never said that Jerry Green was the best coach ever. However, I stongly disagree with those that would try a smear and come up with all kinds of crazy stuff to discredit a coach whose stats and credentials speak for themselves. Green was NOT a "blight" to Tennessee. Far from it, he was a bright spot in the list of sub-.500 coaches on Tennessee's list. And if he was a "horse's ass", the fair weather fans were ten times worse. The fair weather fans should just become bammers, because that is what they were sounding like during Green's final season.

And.... 32 teams lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament. 64 teams will lose their final game (includes play-in game). Ya'll keep mentioning that Green lost in the 1st round of the NCAA twice. But when you do, also mention that the Vols made it to the 2nd round another year and all the way to the sweet 16 in another. Not only that, they beat UConn that season too. Green is the ONLY Tennessee coach to win 2 NCAA tournament games in one season. His tournament record was 3-4.

Green beat ranked Kentucky teams WHEN IT MATTERED for 2 seasons.... winning the SEC EAST in the final weeks of the regular season both times.

The Vols are not going to rehire Green, so that is moot point. However, Buzz is no Jerry Green..... just his former ball boy.

The Vols need a coach, not unlike Green, who can come in and recruit the in-state talent... be competitive with Kentucky.... compete for the SEC East... and at least get invited to the NCAA tournament.

If you think that Tennessee will miraculously compete for national titles by hiring any coach, now that is delusional. It takes much longer than 4 or 5 seasons to build a national title contending program. As successful as Alabama has been over the last couple of decades, they don't have a national title. But they do have alot of SEC tournament titles and NCAA tournament appearances. They recently passed Tennessee and are now in 2nd place, behind Kentucky, in all-time winning pct in the SEC.

AllVol:

You truely are an ALL VOL fan. I agree with you competely on thus issue. Your clarity and stats seperate fact from opinion. It is amazing to me how some have trouble understanding the difference. Keep up the good work.

Gunner

:gun:

ALLVOL, based on your most competent comparitive statistical analysis of the facts and data concerning the performance of Jerry Green and other coaches considered his peers, I have concluded that Green was a good and successful coach. I have further concluded that it appears that Green did not stroke Haslam and Haslam had his posse run Green out of town and said if anybody asks why just tell them Green couldn't control his players and that the program is spiraling downward. Based on this reasoning, I believe it is safe to conclude that Bobby Knight would tell Haslam :furious3: and would not kiss his :shakeit: and would not :worship: him and that he and any coach like him with a strong personality will never coach in NEVER NEVER land- Tennessee. And based on other posts where I have read how Pat is endeared to Buzz it is I think safe to conclude that only Peter Pan's are allowed to work with Wendy. As Haslam might say, Don't tinker with my belle. Championship men's basketball, we never knew you and we probably never never will. :flush:

VN Store

Back